Dec 4th, '07, 17:52

Give me opinions on online tea stores - Adagio, Rishi, Stash

by butzi73 » Dec 4th, '07, 17:52

Where do you buy your teas online?

I was thinking of trying a few new stores, but I can't decide who to go with. Everybody has a different selection, so there are some teas I want to try from each store, but I also don't want to spend $30 in shipping charges just to get a few bags from each store.

I've ordered from Stash before and been happy with them. There are a few teas I'd like to try from Rishi, but they seem so expensive. For example, 50g of Gyokuro costs $40 at Rishi, but only $10 at Stash, and roughly $10 at Adagio. Do you think the Rishi Gyokuro is really that much better?

Thanks for your input!

Dec 4th, '07, 18:23
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 4th, '07, 18:23

I'm not a fan of Stash teas, so I would never buy from them. I bought tea from Adagio and love them. Despite the lack of a phone number, the only time I had a problem with the tea, they fixed it very quickly. (Tea didn't show up -- they sent me another shipment without charge). I have a lot of adagio teas, including a million samples, or so it seems.

There are lots of people here who buy from Rishi and love that tea, but I have not tried it.

I bought a teacup from www.xiuxiantea.com and love the cup. Still trying to work through the tea to determine if their tea is something I would want to drink. They were very prompt.

Dec 4th, '07, 18:24

by Space Samurai » Dec 4th, '07, 18:24

If it wasn't Gyokuro I'd be inclined to say it is most definitely worth it. Every time I went with Rishi and paid more it was worth it, but I'm not fond of their Japanese teas.

That being said, I'm fairly sure the stuff you can get from Stash is probably crap, in a word. Of course crap is subjective, but with Gyokuro cheaper is rarely going to be better.

Dec 4th, '07, 18:50
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 4th, '07, 18:50

Space Samurai wrote: That being said, I'm fairly sure the stuff you can get from Stash is probably crap, in a word. Of course crap is subjective, but with Gyokuro cheaper is rarely going to be better.
I was trying to be polite. But yeah, that'd probably be my word for Stash tea, too.

Dec 4th, '07, 19:53

by Scarlet Glow » Dec 4th, '07, 19:53

I don't much care for Stash's tea, either.

Adagio is my favorite, at the moment.

I have never purchased from Rishi, so I can't really give an opinion. However, from the reviews I have heard by other chatters, I think I may order from Rishi in the future.

On the other hand, I have ordered from The English Tea Store and In Pursuit of Tea and loved both company's products and teas. Also, I just recently started buying from Tazo with no complaints.

I hope that helps! :wink:

Dec 5th, '07, 00:18

by Space Samurai » Dec 5th, '07, 00:18

I heartily second the sugestion for O-cha, or from buying Japanese tea directly from Japan. I have heard good things about Den's tea here in the US, but I haven't tried them yet.

Dec 5th, '07, 00:28

by forkyfork » Dec 5th, '07, 00:28

Before you order from Rishi online, you may want to check your local natural food store, first. Our Whole Foods (and a local chain called Chamberlin's) has lots of Rishi tea for much cheaper than it is on the website. This may be a more reasonable way to try it.

Dec 5th, '07, 18:43

Refer a friend - bonus points promo at O-Cha

by butzi73 » Dec 5th, '07, 18:43

Thanks for all the great input. I really appreciate it. O-Cha certainly looks good. I might give them a try. It's pricy but it does look like no-compromise when it comes to quality.

I was about to lace an order when I noticed this:

Registered customers - We've expanded our point system! Refer a friend and receive 1/2 of their first purchase in bonus points! Read about it here:

I figured I would see if one of you would like to refer me to get those points. Let me know. Send me a PM or just say so in a post and I will PM you my email.

Thanks Again!

Dec 6th, '07, 10:53

by divintea » Dec 6th, '07, 10:53

I'll have to check these out! Thanks for the recs.

Dec 6th, '07, 12:17

by procarel » Dec 6th, '07, 12:17

One of my favorite online stores is Two Hills Tea. They carry certified organic teas. My favorite ones that I have tried from them are the Premium Dragonwell, the Melon Seed green tea and their Silver Needle White tea. They offer free shipping on orders $75 and over. For black teas I like their Keemon Maofeng.

Dec 6th, '07, 13:34

by Wesli » Dec 6th, '07, 13:34

Space Samurai wrote:I have heard good things about Den's tea here in the US, but I haven't tried them yet.

Den's is my preferred supplier right now. Great tea (guricha and fukamushi Maki in particular) for great prices (Sencha Fuka-Midori for $6!) and a flat $3 shipping rate!

Dec 14th, '07, 02:23

by lenny7 » Dec 14th, '07, 02:23

My favorites are Adagio, O-Cha, Indigo Tea and Yunnan Sourcing (ebay vendor)

Dec 14th, '07, 03:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Dec 14th, '07, 03:14

I've had a few orders from TeaSpring.com over the past few months and been really happy with everything I've got. The fact that nearly every tea has loads of reviews really helps, you might even spot some reviews by teachatters and contributers to the blog ChaDao. Shipping is at low flat rates and most stuff is available in packs of 25g upwards. Quality is almost always better than expected for the price.

For top notch oolong and pu-erh I would go with HouDeAsianArt.com.

JingTeaShop.com has a great selection, although they are a little pricier for shipping as it comes from Guangzhou. I have tried loads of their teas through both myself and friends and rarely been disappointed, often surprised.

LochanTea.com offer a $25 inc shipping sample pack which delivers about 11 or 12 25gram packs of rather fine Indian Teas, I'm about half way through my samples and am really beginning to appreciate Indian Tea for the first time in my life.

A quick email to Stéphane Erler at TeaMasters.blogspot.com will get you a price list. I'm in love with his Orchid Flower Oriental Beauty.

That about covers my tea buying over the past few months aside from checking in with the tasting sessions at TChing.com

Dec 14th, '07, 04:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Dec 14th, '07, 04:35

oops! Just checked and I don't think LochanTea are offering the sample pack anymore, oh well.

+ Post Reply