So I tried Adagio's Ti Guan Yin....

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 1st, '07, 13:43

So I tried Adagio's Ti Guan Yin....

by tomasini » Dec 1st, '07, 13:43

Well I was hanging around in my local HEB, took a stop by the ol' tea section and was honest to God suprised to see the amouth of loose leaf tea i found. I'm not saying the selection was good or not, i honestly have not heard of most of the brands, but one of the ones they did have was our favorite, Adagio.

Iron Goddess of Mercey is one of those teas that I either drink and love or drink and hate. So needless to say, i was skeptical about dropping the ten to get it. But seeing as I'm an impulse shopper and didn't want to wait for an online order, i bought it then and there.

I ran home, well, drove home, brought some water to a few hundered degrees, threw down my lovely oolong leaves, let steep for about 4 minutes (the whole time watching the leaves unfurl) and then drank up.

The Verdict?
Delicious. =] I will buy more....but I have one complaint.
The leaves seemed a little shredded and not as whole as other TGY or other Oolongs for that matter.

Hehe, all that writing just to say - delicious

Dec 1st, '07, 14:03
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 1st, '07, 14:03

I'm kinda fond of Ti kuan yin. I haven't had the chance to sample Adagio's blend, but I suspect it will be good.

:arrow: The leaves look rolled to me rather than shredded, but it does look different from another Ti kuan yin tea I've been drinking.

This is the problem with me reading the boards. I start trying all my teas again and think about them. Not a problem, really. :wink:

Dec 1st, '07, 17:02

by Wesli » Dec 1st, '07, 17:02

Adagio sent me a teabag sample of it with one of my orders, of course I emptied it out and brewed it loose, but I did enjoy it a lot too. At the time I had been drinking mostly Pouchong from the jade oolong category, and the TGY just stepped it up to a whole new level. Sweeter, richer, fuller, and smoother. The stuff was great and led me down the path of jade oolongs for quite a while.

Dec 2nd, '07, 15:34

by tomasini » Dec 2nd, '07, 15:34

Mmmm, Jade oolong =]

Dec 3rd, '07, 14:59

by divintea » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:59

You guys are so impressive with all these specific brands you keep cross-referencing! Talk about tea experts!

Dec 3rd, '07, 15:52

by Wesli » Dec 3rd, '07, 15:52

:D

*Flexes tea-drinking muscles*

Dec 3rd, '07, 16:23

by divintea » Dec 3rd, '07, 16:23

very impressive. 8)

Dec 4th, '07, 18:28

by Prismac » Dec 4th, '07, 18:28

Awesome! I just got my first legitimate teapot [read : teapot without cartoon characters on it] and some really lovely TKY from my international market. It was really delicious! I think I may have made it a little too weak, but I'll try again. It's sort of difficult to figure out, what with the different pot sizes and things, I suppose.

I have a silly question! Which types of teas are you supposed to sweeten? Just blacks? And are any teas supposed to taste bitter, or does that just mean that you made them too strong? Essentially, are they something of an acquired taste in general or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks! :D

Dec 4th, '07, 23:44

by Eastree » Dec 4th, '07, 23:44

Prismac wrote:Awesome! I just got my first legitimate teapot [read : teapot without cartoon characters on it]
Are you criticizing mah stuffz?! XD (kidding, of course, but this really is some of my stuff)

Dec 4th, '07, 23:57

by Prismac » Dec 4th, '07, 23:57

Oh, man, that is awesome. :o

My first [and still favorite] tea set has Alice in Wonderland all over it.

Dec 5th, '07, 08:18

by Mary R » Dec 5th, '07, 08:18

I don't think any tea should be bitter. However, most should have some moderate or light level of astringency. Astringency is that sort of drying sensation on your tongue. I only have two tea in my arsenal that comes out bitter no matter what I do. One's a CTC Kenyan green and the other a CTC Assam black. They're dedicated to chai.

Dec 5th, '07, 08:55

by Trey Winston » Dec 5th, '07, 08:55

Eastree, is that R2D2-thing a pot or a cup? Seems like a good way to integrate some Star Wars into tea drinking. As we all know, mixing two good things always makes a great thing.

Dec 5th, '07, 20:55
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 5th, '07, 20:55

Eastree wrote: Are you criticizing mah stuffz?! XD (kidding, of course, but this really is some of my stuff)
Oooh! These are just too awesome! I LIKE!

Dec 5th, '07, 22:53

by Eastree » Dec 5th, '07, 22:53

Trey Winston wrote:Eastree, is that R2D2-thing a pot or a cup? Seems like a good way to integrate some Star Wars into tea drinking. As we all know, mixing two good things always makes a great thing.
It's a cup. I found it at K-Mart a couple years ago full of M&Ms. Too bad it's not supposed to be a 'tea' cup, or I'd go look for the C3PO Samovar!

Dec 5th, '07, 23:35

Re: So I tried Adagio's Ti Guan Yin....

by Space Samurai » Dec 5th, '07, 23:35

tomasini wrote:Well I was hanging around in my local HEB...
:shock: huh? wtf? I'm their damned specialty grocery arm, and they have it and I don't? This isn't right.

Tomas, please pm me a UPC.

Better yet, Adagio folks, if you're selling tea in retail stores, can you pm me a list of the UPC's? Thank you.

+ Post Reply