Flowering Tea: Is It For Display Only?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Sep 27th, '11, 05:15

Flowering Tea: Is It For Display Only?

by teaboy » Sep 27th, '11, 05:15

Hello there, has anyone experienced brewing tea with flowering tea in it? and what's your view regarding this tea?

Sep 27th, '11, 07:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Flowering Tea: Is It For Display Only?

by Herb_Master » Sep 27th, '11, 07:15

Nice to watch, but rarely worth drinking.

Sep 27th, '11, 11:27

by DarkenedSun » Sep 27th, '11, 11:27

It really depends on what you buy. I'm not a fan of flower teas but I've had a few that were pretty drinkable. I think the ones I could drink without getting totally grossed-out were from numi tea.

Sep 27th, '11, 11:41

by night.owl » Sep 27th, '11, 11:41

Herb_Master wrote:Nice to watch, but rarely worth drinking.
Agreed. None of the ones I've tried are worth drinking, although I did drink them anyway because they were gifts.

Sep 27th, '11, 22:53

by debunix » Sep 27th, '11, 22:53

I enjoyed some nice jasmine green teas done up as flower teas, but that was before I realized I could get more delicious floral notes just by better brewing technique and better unflavored and unscented teas.

They were as good as the better loose-leaf jasmines I was drinking at the time.

Feb 1st, '12, 02:47

by Hannah » Feb 1st, '12, 02:47

I've had some nice jasmin flowering tea as well, but wasn't a huge fan compared to a 'normal' green jasmin..

That said, there is one flowering tea I VERY much enjoyed!! :P Strawberry Misaki from Teavana.

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/white-t ... ooming-tea

Tried it once, very lovely tea, didnt have that "fake" sort of flavouring that some teas can have either.

Feb 1st, '12, 15:42

by teaisme » Feb 1st, '12, 15:42

if the person who is drinking it appreciates what it is enough then it is not for display only

Mar 21st, '12, 14:38

by galatea_chained » Mar 21st, '12, 14:38

All the ones I have tried have been tasty, but I feel that I can get equal quality tea for much lower prices if it isn't flowering. I would consider picking some up if I had company that would appreciate it.

Jul 13th, '12, 14:29

by iovetea » Jul 13th, '12, 14:29

teaboy wrote:Hello there, has anyone experienced brewing tea with flowering tea in it? and what's your view regarding this tea?
not really flower but i had golden pagoda tea it was supposed to be tied dian hong tea wich should become a flower but it was just really cheap tea.

also when you look at the instruction of for example silver needle flower tea, they say you need to brew it at 100 c to open up then you just have to assume flower tea doesn't taste good.

also according to my book flower tea is relatively new, invented in the 70s by the chinese communist regime for export.

Jul 13th, '12, 15:13

ofc its just an educated guess

by iovetea » Jul 13th, '12, 15:13

Im not god, maybe there is awesome tea like that and u just don't know it...

Apr 10th, '13, 12:53

by 1tiredfox » Apr 10th, '13, 12:53

I love tea flowers, sometimes the flower is a little overbearing, and like most teas there can be numerous steeping errors; but if you take the time to play with them until you get it right, they can be a perfect tea for enjoying with friends and guests. like most teas quality is everything, expect to drop a few dollars per flower or your going to be disappointed with the outcome. personally, I don't care much for tea flowers without an actual flower in them, and so far my favorites are black tea flowers.

dragon tea house has a great selection of blooming teas, I ordered a big assortment of random green and black tea flowers and any time I have company I bring one out; its great to see the flower unfold not knowing what it will be, its always a pleasant surprise and a new experience.

personal experience notes: use a large glass teapot, 1 liter or larger or the tea will be too strong. let the water cool slightly before infusing, just a bit below boiling as the flowers tend to be fragile. be patient, tea flowers take a long time to steep, usually 10 minutes for black and 15 minutes for green. also, I usually leave the teapot uncovered to allow the sent of the flower to fill the room, this is not necessary though I find it quite enjoyable.

Apr 10th, '13, 15:05

by Poohblah » Apr 10th, '13, 15:05

Herb_Master wrote:Nice to watch, but rarely worth drinking.
+1

Oct 24th, '13, 09:52

by AlexZorach » Oct 24th, '13, 09:52

My experience has been similar to that of others here...I have yet to try a flowering tea that I really liked. Some of them I even poured out. It seems more like a gimmick to me than anything else.

Now, if you're talking rolled teas, like Dian Hong (Yunnan red) teas rolled into pearls, or Jasmine pearls...then I've had very good examples of those.

Jun 28th, '14, 23:22

by sake7 » Jun 28th, '14, 23:22

Jasmine tea is pretty much flowering tea no?... the better grade jasmine has higher tead bud to tea leaves.

Another flowering tea worth looking into is lotus flower tea. Non caffeinated and good especially for women.

In korea, it is one of monks favorite teas.

My wife just had a lotus tea tasting the other day.

You can read about it on her blog at http://handolcha.com
Attachments
LotusTea.jpg
Lotus flower tea
LotusTea.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 9132 times

Oct 1st, '15, 15:07

by chickenetti » Oct 1st, '15, 15:07

I have had flowering teas many times, they just taste like regular green or white teas to me. Not super exiting, but not "bad" to my tastes. The trick is to use the water temp and brewing time appropriate for the tea and not worry so much about getting it to open. It will probably take more than one infusion to get it to open up all the way. I've re-infused flowering teas over and over again, and then when the flavor was exhausted put it in cold water in a pretty jar or glass to display for a while.

+ Post Reply