intro

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Feb 2nd, '12, 12:02

intro

by nataly » Feb 2nd, '12, 12:02

Hi,

My name is Nataly. I have been drinking loose tea since I was child. I was born into Russian tea culture if you can call it that. In a somewhat barbaric way - my family's tea drinking habits were brewing a pot of black tea (no infuser basket) and leaving it on the counter for a couple of days for everyone to add boiling water and sugar as needed to drown out the bitterness. SInce I have low tolerance for bitteness, I've always added a lot of water - lol! When I was young, I also added a lot of sugar! No milk though. This is just my fmaily and most people I knew :) I wonder if there is more sophistication these days. Moving to US, I switched to mostly teabags and morning coffee. Green tea at Japanese restaurants has always been a treat (as well as the food).
Recently, I have accidentally reignited my interest in tea. My husband expressed an interest in a better tea, he was after some herbal and I decided to get some herbal loose tea and a teapot as a present for him. I ended up getting a tetsubin and some tea (I wish I hadn't now) from Teavana. Looking at some info there got me into more research and amazing findings: such as that strong tea doesn't have to be bitter etc.
Right now most of my tea is from Rishi as we try to buy organic and free trade is a bonus for me. My favorites so far are both Japanese and Chinese greens, jasmin green peal, genmaicha, and Rishi's China Breakfast in the morning. I also like flavored whites with some honey before going to bed, but I think this is changing since I am beginning to get bored with the flavoring, even the organic version... Haven't tried any woolong or pu-erh yet... So, looks like I am hooked. Interestingly, my husband, who was the initial reason I started looking into tea is kind of indifferent :)
He has already got me a tea present too though - a variable temp electric kettle, which I love.

Other than tea, I also like cooking. About 6 years ago I had a period of searching for a perfect cup of coffee, which left me with a nice espresso machine I still enjoy very much. Now it is the tea!

- Nataly

Feb 2nd, '12, 12:26

Re: intro

by debunix » Feb 2nd, '12, 12:26

Welcome to TeaChat, and hope what you find here adds to your enjoyment of tea. There are more varieties and preparations of tea than of coffee, so you can spend a lifetime exploring. Rishi was my own 'gateway' back to tea, after a long time with only a few trusted teas: before the internet, I'd had a lot of poor experiences when I 'stepped out' of my tea comfort zone, and gave up on that exploration before I began. But one nice can from Rishi led to some trust, and two or three more cans from Rishi, and then a tentative trip to a chinatown tea shop or two.....

The variable temp kettle makes exploration of greens much more pleasant. Enjoy, but don't forget the oolongs! They're the most varied and forgiving of all.

Feb 2nd, '12, 13:03
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: intro

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '12, 13:03

Welcome nataly to our forum! Thank you for your informative intro!

I am looking forward to seeing you around the forum as you continue with your TeaJourney! :mrgreen:

Please share your daily cuppa tea with us in TeaDay!

+ Post Reply