Bringing Tea into Mexico

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 5th, '12, 18:32

Bringing Tea into Mexico

by Saayuq » Feb 5th, '12, 18:32

We are planning a trip to Mexico. I want to bring tea with us. Does anybody have experience bringing a brick or a cake through Mexican customs?

Feb 5th, '12, 18:37
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Bringing Tea into Mexico

by Bob_McBob » Feb 5th, '12, 18:37

Saayuq wrote:Does anybody have experience bringing a brick or a cake through Mexican customs?
Nice try, DEA :lol:

Feb 5th, '12, 18:58

by G-off-re » Feb 5th, '12, 18:58

I'm pretty sure your not going to have any issues with them thinking its drugs since It doesn't look or smell like weed.

Feb 5th, '12, 20:57

by wh&yel-apprentice » Feb 5th, '12, 20:57

I think the OP is a serious question, though not the responses so far :p.

If you do a Google image search on 'brick marijuana' you'd be surprised how similar some of the bricks look to brick pu'er!
G-off-re wrote:I'm pretty sure your not going to have any issues with them thinking its drugs since It doesn't look or smell like weed.
^most certainly could be confused.

But the flow of illegal MJ typically goes from Mexico to the USA, not the other way around.

Think you'd have more trouble with US customs coming back to the USA from Mexico, as those 'dopes' (pun intended) with the customs dept probably can't tell the difference, and older MJ bricks probably lose their stronger aromas much like older tea.

Besides, do a search here on TC and you'll find plenty of MJ aroma notes being attached to various teas...meh, I've never noticed the similarities btw the two...MJ smells decidedly different to me. Still, I've read comparisons to MJ aromas for wines, so anything is possible :mrgreen:

Feb 5th, '12, 21:33

by Saayuq » Feb 5th, '12, 21:33

Yes, thanks it is a serious question. I just don't want to be delayed entering the country, but neither do I want to be without Puerh while I am there, and I imagine it is hard to come by in Loreto.

Feb 5th, '12, 23:26

by AdamMY » Feb 5th, '12, 23:26

From what I have seen in TV Documentaries if you break up the cake into a less compact but most loose leaf form it should certainly not be confused. As one is long slender leaves and the other is not. It may not be as efficient in packing space, but unless you are going to be there for a very extended length of time it shouldn't be an issue.

Feb 6th, '12, 00:08

by tst » Feb 6th, '12, 00:08

How long will you be in Mexico?

I know it probably sounds like heresy around here, but if you're that worried about it (and you don't want to risk it getting taken from you), just go without pu for a week or so. It probably won't kill you ... probably. :D

Feb 6th, '12, 00:37

by tingjunkie » Feb 6th, '12, 00:37

Which border crossing, and how far into Mexico are you going?

Going in to Mexico by car is extremely easy in my experience, mainly due to the fact that the northern border states are free trade zones. In other words, they don't even have any real border crossing procedure getting IN to Mexico. Seriously, who smuggles drugs IN TO Mexico? :lol: Getting back in to the U.S. often poses a much bigger hassle and chance for problems. As a young dude, camping on the beach, driving a beater car, and coming back with a week+ worth of beard on my face, the U.S. border agents often picked me out as a target for car searches. (Go figure!) Truth is, they have the technology and the sniffer dogs to tell if your tea is drugs or not very quickly. You might get asked about it, but you won't have any problems. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just don't bring your 1950's Red Label cake on the 1 in 100 chance they want to confiscate it for testing!

Feb 6th, '12, 12:48

by MIKE_B » Feb 6th, '12, 12:48

Bringing it down won't be a problem. Bringing any left over back might. Try to only bring as much as you plan on drinking.

Feb 6th, '12, 19:10

by entropyembrace » Feb 6th, '12, 19:10

I travel to Mexico by air fairly often...have had absolutely no problems bringing tea into Mexico, including puerh, or back to Canada.

but in Toronto they did ask me to open a bunch of tea tins because the x-ray machine couldn´t see inside them.

+ Post Reply