Nepalese and Bangladeshi Tea Estates

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 8th, '11, 05:05

Nepalese and Bangladeshi Tea Estates

by needaTEAcher » Dec 8th, '11, 05:05

Howdy! I am going to Nepal and Bangladesh next spring, and I want to visit some tea estates. Any recomendations for regions or specific estates?

Obviously just inside the border to Darjeeling for Nepal and just inside the border with Assam for Bangladesh, but since I will be in both Darjeeling and Assam as well I am hoping for some help finding somewhere further in or maybe higher up in Nepal. I am looking for tea that is more uniquely Bangladeshi and Nepalese.

Thanks!

Feb 6th, '12, 13:14

Re: Nepalese and Bangladeshi Tea Estates

by AlexZorach » Feb 6th, '12, 13:14

Nepal tea is pretty similar to Darjeeling tea, I've found, Bangladeshi tea a little less so. I have tried more tea from Nepal.

In Nepal:

Jun Chiyabari is a well-known estate. I've liked their teas. Singalila is VERY new, I've only tried one tea from them but it was interesting and very different. I also tried a tea from Kanchanjangha, not my favorite but it was different. One of the most interesting Nepalese teas that comes to mind was from Kuwapani estate. I also have tried great tea from Kanyam estate but it was almost indistinguishable from a Darjeeling.

I have no idea where they are located or which would be most convenient to visit but my best bet for something unique or different would be Kuwapani, followed by Singalila.

Good luck!

Feb 6th, '12, 20:37

by needaTEAcher » Feb 6th, '12, 20:37

Awesome. We leave for Nepal in less than a month! I really appreciate the help. I will try to post with photos!

We found only one tea estate online in Bangladesh (I dont' remember the name), north-east of Dhaka, and we will go there as well. Yay!!!!!

Feb 6th, '12, 22:48

by Tead Off » Feb 6th, '12, 22:48

needaTEAcher wrote:Awesome. We leave for Nepal in less than a month! I really appreciate the help. I will try to post with photos!

We found only one tea estate online in Bangladesh (I dont' remember the name), north-east of Dhaka, and we will go there as well. Yay!!!!!
Jun Chiyabari is indeed a good garden. I met the manager in Darjeeling and could see how serious he was about producing high quality tea. He mentioned something about Japanese and Chinese tea masters helping them out but I can't remember exactly what he said. Not sure how easy it is to travel in Eastern Nepal. Very remote.

The only Bangladeshi tea I've had was given to me by a Korean friend who just returned from visiting there last year. It was an organically grown black tea not very memorable.

One of the places in India that I would like to explore more is the Nilgiri Hills in South India. One of the best teas I've ever had from India came from there. It rivals any of the Darjeeling for flavor and aroma. South India is also quite different from the north. Different people, language, and, a more relaxed atmosphere. Less development.

Feb 10th, '12, 01:05

by mbanu » Feb 10th, '12, 01:05

Contacting the Himalayan Orthodox Tea Producers' Association of Nepal will probably get you a comprehensive list of Nepalese tea estates.

http://www.nepaltea.com.np/

Feb 10th, '12, 09:27

by sherubtse » Feb 10th, '12, 09:27

Tead Off wrote:Jun Chiyabari is indeed a good garden. I met the manager in Darjeeling and could see how serious he was about producing high quality tea. He mentioned something about Japanese and Chinese tea masters helping them out but I can't remember exactly what he said. Not sure how easy it is to travel in Eastern Nepal. Very remote.
Here are a few articles that may be of interest:

https://camellia-sinensis.com/carnet/?tag=nepal&lang=en

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply