Powdered Green Tea (and smoothies!)

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 8th, '11, 03:23

Powdered Green Tea (and smoothies!)

by Cole » Nov 8th, '11, 03:23

Not a question, but rather an appreciation post! :lol:

I've been a fan of powdered sencha since I first tried the mild, smooth sencha that Den sells back in March. However, O-cha's 100g version has really been growing on me lately. Especially for the price! I keep mine in a little airtight tin and take it with me on the road when I can't take a kyusu or stop to make some tea.

While I prefer the taste of Den's for drinking iced tea and making green tea lattes (as O-cha's powder seems much "fresher" and tastes more assertive), I love adding a heaping chashaku scoop to my morning smoothies. With some juice, yogurt, banana, strawberries, and whatever other fruits you might have laying about, the green tea blends in perfectly and adds a nice little kick without overpowering the blend (or making it too sandy).

Anyone else enjoy starting their day with a smoothie or sencha concoction? Share recipes/recommendations here!

Nov 8th, '11, 06:58

Re: Powdered Green Tea (and smoothies!)

by sherubtse » Nov 8th, '11, 06:58

Glad you brought this up, Cole, as I have been thinking about O-Cha's powered sencha for quite some time now. Seems like an ideal thing to use at work, where time and circumstances don't permit more elaborate tea-drinking routines.

How would you compare the taste of the powered stuff to the loose leaf version? Any other feedback about the O-Cha version would be appreciated! :D

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 8th, '11, 12:12

by Cole » Nov 8th, '11, 12:12

Hey, sherubtse! :D

The O-cha powdered sencha smells (and tastes) exactly like freshly ground leaf, which can be a bit overwhelming if you've never tasted kratom or eaten a handful of fresh green leaves before :lol:. I haven't tried this year's "new and improved formula" (so take my comments with a grain of salt), but last year's aroma was a little intense at first. I've grown to enjoy its character, but if you're using it just for drinking, I'd probably recommend you start with Den's. O-cha's organic powder might be different, but Dens 30g version is a bit smoother and has a very nice sweetness to it (for half the price).

Can't beat o-cha's for smoothies and overall value, though!
-Cole

Nov 8th, '11, 14:11

by sherubtse » Nov 8th, '11, 14:11

Cole wrote:Hey, sherubtse! :D

The O-cha powdered sencha smells (and tastes) exactly like freshly ground leaf, which can be a bit overwhelming if you've never tasted kratom or eaten a handful of fresh green leaves before :lol:. I haven't tried this year's "new and improved formula" (so take my comments with a grain of salt), but last year's aroma was a little intense at first. I've grown to enjoy its character, but if you're using it just for drinking, I'd probably recommend you start with Den's. O-cha's organic powder might be different, but Dens 30g version is a bit smoother and has a very nice sweetness to it (for half the price).

Can't beat o-cha's for smoothies and overall value, though!
-Cole
Hey Cole. Nice to connect with you again. Seems to be happening alot lately, which is great (at least for me! :lol: ).

Thanks for the feedback re the powdered sencha. I may just procure some with my next sencha order. Your comments have me interested, for sure. :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Nov 10th, '11, 00:00

by SlientSipper » Nov 10th, '11, 00:00

I heard of a Matcha muffin.
Matcha powder has a number of culinary uses. Though I can't recall them all right now.

Hope to see it used more in fusion cooking.

Dec 8th, '11, 22:13

by sencha » Dec 8th, '11, 22:13

Do these taste good enough to make hot tea in a pinch?

Feb 7th, '12, 00:43

by margauxmorgan » Feb 7th, '12, 00:43

just droppin by to say...

i love matcha tea over ice :D <3

Mar 8th, '12, 19:26

by anastasia » Mar 8th, '12, 19:26

I've been drinking Ippodo's Uji-shimizu whisked with cold almond milk. It's amazingly delicious, and is the closest I've come, in taste, to matcha soft serve. I also carry their individual servings with me when I travel so I get my matcha kick easily.

Mar 22nd, '12, 21:40

by Teacup1980 » Mar 22nd, '12, 21:40

A couple years ago, one of my favorite Japanese restaurant was serving SENCHA BRULEE and that was fantastic! They said they were using sencha powder rather than matcha because sencha has a little bit more bitterness than matcha. Unfortunately they don't serve sencha brulee anymore and I am looking for any restaurant serving it. Does anyone know any restaurant or know how to make sencha brulee?

+ Post Reply