Good "starter" matcha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 1st, '12, 02:44

Good "starter" matcha?

by Hannah » Feb 1st, '12, 02:44

Hello All!

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before but I haven't found an answer so please delete if needed :)

I am mainly an oolong and black tea drinker however I would love to try some matcha! I'm looking for some which is of decent quality but at the same time, not too expensive (so that it's not a huge loss if I don't end up liking it :oops: )

I nearly bought a tin today from an asian grocery online while I was getting other things however it seemed rather cheap - this one was apparently mainly for cooking, so I didn't get any incase it put me off.

Thank you all! :D

Feb 1st, '12, 04:55

Re: Good "starter" matcha?

by Noahnoir » Feb 1st, '12, 04:55

Hi,

my daily matcha is Matsu no midori from Maiko, for me the best price-performance ratio.

If u want to try it the first time, my advice go with the lower ones.
Uji Midori or Uji no Sato, they are totally affordable and you can't go wrong for the Price.

Feb 1st, '12, 09:51

by Ill-literate » Feb 1st, '12, 09:51

I've tried two matchas so far. First I bought one of japantea.org 's matcha beginners kits, they come with a chawan, chasen, chasen holder, chashaku and matcha. They're a good deal and I was very happy with mine. I recently bought O-cha's Uji Matcha Kiri no Mori and am really enjoying it. Be careful though, it is addictive! I can't go one morning without a bowl of matcha. :wink:

Feb 2nd, '12, 05:14

by Hannah » Feb 2nd, '12, 05:14

Thank you all!! :)
I purchased this kit - http://www.japantea.org/shop/matcha_set02 very excited about receiving it! :D

Feb 2nd, '12, 10:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 2nd, '12, 10:50

Oh, very nice! The owner is Xell, a member here!

Feb 3rd, '12, 19:27

by Hannah » Feb 3rd, '12, 19:27

Yes, Xell was kind enough to contact me and talk to me about some different types of matcha and greens in general, was very helpful! :D

Can't wait to try some of it with some homemade mochi on the side :lol:

Feb 3rd, '12, 21:01

by joelbct » Feb 3rd, '12, 21:01

I like the tea's tea matcha from ito en, only $9.50, as a daily matcha or beginners matcha, or in my case, returning student's-priced matcha ;)

Feb 7th, '12, 13:30

by aeflo » Feb 7th, '12, 13:30

i ordered yame matcha from zencha yesterday they also have an attractive price for their Usucha! already looking forward to tasting them.

Feb 14th, '12, 23:54

by Hannah » Feb 14th, '12, 23:54

As a follow up, mt starter matcha kit from Xell's website arrived today, VERY happy with it!! This tea looks like it might become a morning ritual! :D The packaging was great and survived Australian customs too! (thats rare!) haha :lol:

Mar 1st, '12, 13:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dinahsaur » Mar 1st, '12, 13:15

waltersh wrote:As a follow up, mt starter matcha kit from Xell's website arrived today, VERY happy with it!! This tea looks like it might become a morning ritual! :D The packaging was great and survived Australian customs too! (thats rare!) haha :lol:
I'm very curious to hear how the flavor of the tea is. I have very similar tea tastes to what you described, so I would love to know how this goes over for you.

I've been interested in the idea of matcha for quite a while, but have been a bit intimidated by the idea of starting.

Mar 21st, '12, 23:33

by djlau » Mar 21st, '12, 23:33

Aiya makes a ceremonial grade that's a greater starter. It's not too expensive and much better quality than their cooking grade, which you can also start with but ceremonial is exponentially better!

Mar 22nd, '12, 07:31

by aeflo » Mar 22nd, '12, 07:31

waltersh wrote:As a follow up, mt starter matcha kit from Xell's website arrived today, VERY happy with it!! This tea looks like it might become a morning ritual! :D The packaging was great and survived Australian customs too! (thats rare!) haha :lol:
I think I'm gonna order this kit too, as a birthdaypresent for a friend, who is interested in starting to drink matcha.

+ Post Reply