Ippodo, Horaido, or someone else?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 16th, '12, 00:33

Ippodo, Horaido, or someone else?

by MarshalN » Feb 16th, '12, 00:33

Anyone has a good working relationship with one of the Kyoto/Uji based vendors?

I'm visiting that area soon, and if I can find some time, I might go visit one of these stores in person. I was wondering if you folks have experience with how responsive they are in general?

Feb 16th, '12, 01:04
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ippodo, Horaido, or someone else?

by Chip » Feb 16th, '12, 01:04

Definitely Ippodo and Tsuen! 2 very old and traditional. I can say this based on 2nd hand knowledge of Tsuen and 1st hand on Ippodo who have all been super nice to deal with ... and hopefully this carries over to their locations.

Feb 16th, '12, 03:33

by Oni » Feb 16th, '12, 03:33

Tsuen and Marukyu-Koyamaen are in Uji, but if you have the free time it is definitely worth the visit, I talked with a teashop owner who visits the often, and sells their tea in europe, he even invited me to a gyokuro session, and offered me a high grade stuff (that I cannot afford).
Here is the address of the company http://japantea.hu/marukyu_koyamaen

Feb 16th, '12, 09:06

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Feb 16th, '12, 09:06

Ippodo and Horaido are both in Kyoto on the same street I believe, Teramachi. The Ippodo store has the Kaboku tea room attached where you can order their teas off the menu and have them prepared for you or prepare them yourself. You can usually get some matcha that is not available outside of Kyoto...and the wagashi are incredible. I'm not sure where marukyu koyamaen's place is but I have been to Tsuen. Again, they have a great tea room a short distance from the store along the Uji river. Uji is crazy with tea shops and tea rooms. Uji is about 20 minutes away from Kyoto by train so I guess it all depends where you are at the time. Hit them all if you can. :)

Feb 16th, '12, 10:28

by zencha » Feb 16th, '12, 10:28

If I could only go to one it would be Horaido .
Marukyu-Koyamaen also has a shop in Kyoto .
Here's a short list of shops from Kyoto Visitor's Guide :
http://www.kyotoguide.com/ver2/guide/shopping1.htm
Not on the list but worth a vist is Ryuouen Cha , known for their matcha .
Address I have is :
Nijo-dori Gokomachi Nishi-iru, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto
phone : 075-231-3693

Feb 16th, '12, 21:11

by MarshalN » Feb 16th, '12, 21:11

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:Ippodo and Horaido are both in Kyoto on the same street I believe, Teramachi. The Ippodo store has the Kaboku tea room attached where you can order their teas off the menu and have them prepared for you or prepare them yourself. You can usually get some matcha that is not available outside of Kyoto...and the wagashi are incredible. I'm not sure where marukyu koyamaen's place is but I have been to Tsuen. Again, they have a great tea room a short distance from the store along the Uji river. Uji is crazy with tea shops and tea rooms. Uji is about 20 minutes away from Kyoto by train so I guess it all depends where you are at the time. Hit them all if you can. :)
Would love to visit Uji again, but too much tea and my travel companions will revolt

Feb 16th, '12, 23:21

by Tead Off » Feb 16th, '12, 23:21

MarshalN wrote:Would love to visit Uji again, but too much tea and my travel companions will revolt
Please let us know your impressions after your visit.

+ Post Reply