Feb 24th, '12, 17:34

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by needaTEAcher » Feb 24th, '12, 17:34

Groovy. It is a lovely pot! The only way I really know to tell quality is to lay hands on it.

Feb 24th, '12, 17:42

by MIKE_B » Feb 24th, '12, 17:42

needaTEAcher wrote:Groovy. It is a lovely pot! The only way I really know to tell quality is to lay hands on it.
Oh, don't get me wrong. This is NOT a quality pot. I bet I only paid about 20 bucks for it. It has a very visible seam running through it, up the spout, handle and all. But it was my first ever teapot, so I still kinda like it.

Feb 25th, '12, 06:50

by anna » Feb 25th, '12, 06:50

thank you Mike for your answer and advice. That's great for you about thickness as I've been told thick walls are more for wuyi oolong as they are highly oxidized. Yes the one I linked is surely slip-cast but it looks fine and well made though to me.

Yesterday I've been offered one, and it feels really different from others I bought before. It seems like much greater quality to me, but as I'm a total beginner I don't know, what do u guys think ?
My friend told me it was handmade.
I send some photos :
20120225comp.jpg
zisha teapot low profile
20120225comp.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
20120225comp1.jpg
Inside I can see some "lines" beginning from the pot's center to the sides. And inside it, surface is not really even, there are kind of fingerprints !
20120225comp1.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
20120225comp2.jpg
zisha teapot
20120225comp2.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Information I know (not much, sorry, might ask my friend where he bought it some time..)
clay: zisha
size: 500ml
tea pairing : wuyi oolong (not sure which one yet)

If someone knows what's written on it, any translation would be much appreciated :)

other pictures with higher definition and "prints" inside the teapot, there : https://picasaweb.google.com/1088228242 ... robmtMDvfA
(I'm starting to feel proud of it ^^)

Feb 25th, '12, 18:26

by tingjunkie » Feb 25th, '12, 18:26

anna wrote: My friend told me it was handmade.
The seam running down the handle (at least it looks like one to me) would lead me to believe your friend is mistaken. That's ok though. As far as making tea goes, handmade pots are way overhyped. As collectors items or investments, being handmade is more important. The clay looks fairly decent to me. At 500ml, it would only get used for western style cooked puerh brewing around my place. A nice pot for lazy nights when I can't be bothered to sit and gongfu it up. :wink:

Feb 26th, '12, 13:44

by BreatheEasy » Feb 26th, '12, 13:44

I love that pot of yours Anna. Slightly large for my taste, but lovely nonetheless :)

Soooo, I decided to post a photo of my first "Yixing" pot. :mrgreen:

I purchased this many months ago, when I first started getting into gongfu. It's a CCCI pot, about 270ml. Was originally used for light-roasted Oolongs, but is now more for decoration (poor little guy) and serves me as a reminder, now that I am a tad bit more knowledgeable about yixings, to be more cautious.

Cannot complain though, I got this pot for a whopping $15 at Teavana. Definitely served me well as my first pot. :D

Feb 27th, '12, 18:15

by needaTEAcher » Feb 27th, '12, 18:15

It is very, very pretty breatheeasy!

I study at a dealer in Seoul, and I get to work with foriegners here that stumble through. This weekend one guy said he buys a lot from Teavanna and was so very proud of himself. Broke my heart a little. :roll:

Feb 27th, '12, 20:14

by BreatheEasy » Feb 27th, '12, 20:14

Poor guy :lol:

Well, I am not sure what kind of reaction I will be getting from this, but I actually work for Teavana. :mrgreen: I may not be a fan of what the company does, or the quality of products, but if it wasn't for them it would've taken me at least three times as long to learn what I know now about tea. Actually I am lucky enough to have a manager that drinks real tea and is very knowledgeable about teas and teawares. Her and her boyfriend are actually the ones that I go to whenever I have a question about anything tea-related (other than you guys of course :D ). They have recommended many sites to buy teas, as well as yixings. So I am grateful!

Oh, and so I don't completely lose the topic of discussion here, I wanted to add that last week my boss's boyfriend gave me quite a beautiful pot. I use it for raw puerh at the moment

here it is:
http://www.redblossomtea.com/teaware/te ... g-702.html

Feb 27th, '12, 23:15

by Tead Off » Feb 27th, '12, 23:15

needaTEAcher wrote:It is very, very pretty breatheeasy!

I study at a dealer in Seoul, and I get to work with foriegners here that stumble through. This weekend one guy said he buys a lot from Teavanna and was so very proud of himself. Broke my heart a little. :roll:
Who do you study with in Seoul? Where is the shop located?

Feb 28th, '12, 02:09

by needaTEAcher » Feb 28th, '12, 02:09

I study at a company called GU Myeong Cha (also GU Ceramics). They have stores all over Korea, a puerh factory in China, and a ceramics factory in Yixing. I hope to open a branch in the US. I usually study at the main branch in Jongno, Seoul. Anyone in the area message me, though I leave for 5 months in a week.

GU only works with very high end pots, tea ware, and tea, though they sell for VERY low prices for the quality. Thier whole thing is spreading tea, not getting money. Actually, I often study with the founder/“grandmaster”. I am so lucky!!!

Feb 28th, '12, 02:27

by Tead Off » Feb 28th, '12, 02:27

needaTEAcher wrote:I study at a company called GU Myeong Cha (also GU Ceramics). They have stores all over Korea, a puerh factory in China, and a ceramics factory in Yixing. I hope to open a branch in the US. I usually study at the main branch in Jongno, Seoul. Anyone in the area message me, though I leave for 5 months in a week.

GU only works with very high end pots, tea ware, and tea, though they sell for VERY low prices for the quality. Thier whole thing is spreading tea, not getting money. Actually, I often study with the founder/“grandmaster”. I am so lucky!!!
Where is the store's location in Jongno? Address, please.

Feb 28th, '12, 03:59

by needaTEAcher » Feb 28th, '12, 03:59

I'll PM.

Mar 1st, '12, 21:59

by TokyoB » Mar 1st, '12, 21:59

I just received an older yixing pot from Taiwan. It has the number "25" stamped inside the lid. I will post photos in a few days.

Does anyone know what this number might signify? Is it the number of a worker? (It seems to be too high to signify number of cups or to be part of a numbered set.) The pot size is maybe 140 ml.

Mar 1st, '12, 23:17

by tingjunkie » Mar 1st, '12, 23:17

TokyoB wrote:I just received an older yixing pot from Taiwan. It has the number "25" stamped inside the lid. I will post photos in a few days.

Does anyone know what this number might signify? Is it the number of a worker? (It seems to be too high to signify number of cups or to be part of a numbered set.) The pot size is maybe 140 ml.
My guess would be a Cultural Revolution period pot, and that's the workers number.

Mar 1st, '12, 23:34

by MarshalN » Mar 1st, '12, 23:34

Or more likely, an attempt to make it look like a cultural revolution pot

Mar 2nd, '12, 00:52

by Tead Off » Mar 2nd, '12, 00:52

MarshalN wrote:Or more likely, an attempt to make it look like a cultural revolution pot
Keep doubt alive! :D

+ Post Reply