Hello from Brooklyn, NY

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Mar 8th, '12, 11:43

Hello from Brooklyn, NY

by BrooklynBrew » Mar 8th, '12, 11:43

Hey there!

For some strange (but fortuitous) reason, I switched from coffee to tea last fall and have been really enjoying it.

Always enjoyed black tea with milk after my first trip to the UK ... and five years ago, got into green tea. Sadly, these were just bags, but through the years I've been exposed to loose leaf teas . . . especially thanks to two boyfriends who enjoyed their tea that way.

I'm pretty promiscuous with my tastes tea wise, except I'm not into very sweet fruit flavored teas or dark oolongs. But I am learning what I really like and wanted to come on here and ask questions about more high end or specialized stuff when I am able to treat myself. Recently got into pu-erh (just shus . . . haven't tried a sheng yet) and not super expensive ones either. Also enjoy Yunnans (thanks Adagio) and Tung Ting and TGY Oolongs.

Mar 8th, '12, 11:49

Re: Hello from Brooklyn, NY

by AdamMY » Mar 8th, '12, 11:49

Welcome BrooklynBrew. You are in possibly one of the better locations in the US to get exposed to a wonderful tea culture (if you choose to go the route of more traditional Chinese/ Japanese/ Korean brewing styles). New York City is home to quite a few wonderful tea shops, while I am unsure if The Tea Gallery still has a presence for in person visitors, there is also the Mandarins Tea Room, along with many other great places to check out.

Mar 8th, '12, 12:00

by BrooklynBrew » Mar 8th, '12, 12:00

Awesome!

I have it on my list of things to do to attend some Tea Gallery tastings. They have some simpler less expensive ones on their site, but really want to splurge for the more personal sessions (they have one for pu-erh, which I really want to do).

I don't know The Mandarins Tea Room. Will Google right now! :-)

We do have a couple of ok cafes that serve loose tea. Cafe Grumpy in Chelsea has a very good pu-erh and several other loose teas. I believe they're from Rishi (I asked). And there's Think Coffee in the West Village which does loose teas. Karloff in Brooklyn (first time I had a Russian Caravan) is also great. There's a few other places where you can get a good white or oolong, and make a great alternative to Starbucks.

Mar 21st, '12, 00:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 21st, '12, 00:07

Please excuse my tardy welcome! Glad to have you and hope to see much more of you around the forum.

Have a great TeaDay!

Mar 21st, '12, 10:09

by BrooklynBrew » Mar 21st, '12, 10:09

Thanks, Chip.

I need to be very careful with how much time I spend on here. You all enable me! And my tastes are pretty eclectic so I keep thinking "I want to buy that . . . and that . . . and that . . ." :lol:

Mar 28th, '12, 05:06
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Mar 28th, '12, 05:06

BrooklynBrew wrote:Thanks, Chip.

I need to be very careful with how much time I spend on here. You all enable me! And my tastes are pretty eclectic so I keep thinking "I want to buy that . . . and that . . . and that . . ." :lol:
*psst I know exactly what you mean, these teachaters are dangerous ... I've had to set aside a tea fund since I discovered teachat. :mrgreen: Happy brewing

+ Post Reply