Mar 9th, '12, 20:49

Three types of Zhuni?

by needaTEAcher » Mar 9th, '12, 20:49

I'm zhuni hunting. My teacher told me there are three types of zhuni, but he only had an example of one type, and he had trouble explaining the others to me (language barrier issues).

I have seen zhuni that is a fiery orange-red, and looks like a subset of hongni.
I have seen zhuni that is more of a dark brown, and looks like a type of zinni almost.

What is the third like? Photos?

What are the different properties of all three?

Thanks!

Mar 9th, '12, 23:41

Re: Three types of Zhuni?

by chrl42 » Mar 9th, '12, 23:41

Zhaozhuang, Xiaomeiyao and Huanglongshan Zhuni.

Zhaozhuang is traditional Zhuni from Ming dynasty, the most famous one, there are 2 areas where ZZ zhuni came from (not anymore). Yixing potters used up this special clay during Qing dynasty, during ROC it already became extinct.

Xiaomeiyao mine was found in 50's, but started using since 80's because Factory1 didn't make Zhuni pots. Those Zhuni pots were made for Taiwan, they were not from F1.

Huanglongshan Zhuni doesn't have representive mine, there are rather small-sized numbers are many. So it doesn't have characteristics what you can call as 'Huanglongshan Zhuni's'

Mar 10th, '12, 07:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 10th, '12, 07:20

chrl42 wrote:Zhaozhuang is traditional Zhuni from Ming dynasty, the most famous one, there are 2 areas where ZZ zhuni came from (not anymore). Yixing potters used up this special clay during Qing dynasty, during ROC it already became extinct.

Xiaomeiyao mine was found in 50's, but started using since 80's because Factory1 didn't make Zhuni pots. Those Zhuni pots were made for Taiwan, they were not from F1.
So there's roughly a 30 year gap of "real" zhuni? Or were other places using the ore found in the xiaomeiyao mine?

This information means that "early ROC zhuni" would be quite rare, or impossible, right? Or did I misunderstand?

Mar 10th, '12, 20:13

by bagua7 » Mar 10th, '12, 20:13

chrl42,

Would the following pot belong to the Zhaozhuang category?

Cheers.

Mar 11th, '12, 10:28

by chrl42 » Mar 11th, '12, 10:28

needaTEAcher wrote:I'm zhuni hunting. My teacher told me there are three types of zhuni, but he only had an example of one type, and he had trouble explaining the others to me (language barrier issues).

I have seen zhuni that is a fiery orange-red, and looks like a subset of hongni.
I have seen zhuni that is more of a dark brown, and looks like a type of zinni almost.

What is the third like? Photos?

What are the different properties of all three?

Thanks!
from what I know, different color comes from temperature of firing, keeping time of processed clay and other issues. color itself doesn't demonstrate the kind of clay too much.

West Zhaozhuang Zhuni of Qing-ROC has bright orange color and heavy, that's all I can tell.

Mar 11th, '12, 10:32

by chrl42 » Mar 11th, '12, 10:32

Drax wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Zhaozhuang is traditional Zhuni from Ming dynasty, the most famous one, there are 2 areas where ZZ zhuni came from (not anymore). Yixing potters used up this special clay during Qing dynasty, during ROC it already became extinct.

So there's roughly a 30 year gap of "real" zhuni? Or were other places using the ore found in the xiaomeiyao mine?

This information means that "early ROC zhuni" would be quite rare, or impossible, right? Or did I misunderstand?
Xiaomeiyao Zhuni has roughly more than 3 places,

early ROC Zhuni - which is Zhaozhuang Zhuni....the last news I heard was it was found as bunches in 92 or so. The places became farm or pond. Other than that, you shouldn't trust too much when they say 'Zhaozhuang Zhuni'.

Mar 16th, '12, 04:33

by needaTEAcher » Mar 16th, '12, 04:33

I've seen some photos of older, super high-end pots, and seen one in real life, that was BRIGHT orange/red on the outside, and deeper glowy, but with a greyish inside. Anyone catch me up to speed on this type?

Mar 16th, '12, 13:26
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 16th, '12, 13:26

Perhaps Chri could help me ID these?

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/200 ... overs.html

Mar 16th, '12, 23:36

by chrl42 » Mar 16th, '12, 23:36

color and long 'lip' of lid reminds me of late-Qing~ROC

has a picture of inside-pot and chop? (bigger the better)

Mar 16th, '12, 23:47

by chrl42 » Mar 16th, '12, 23:47

needaTEAcher wrote:I've seen some photos of older, super high-end pots, and seen one in real life, that was BRIGHT orange/red on the outside, and deeper glowy, but with a greyish inside. Anyone catch me up to speed on this type?
grey-ish inside could a sign of color-change by kiln. Late-Qing~ROC had those. A sign of high-fire, also sometimes brings bubbles on the surface...

or it could zini pot touched with hongni powder too..situation could vary a lot...

Mar 17th, '12, 04:38

by needaTEAcher » Mar 17th, '12, 04:38

I thought the grey meant high fire. The pot in particular that I'm thinking about is def legit. So isn't high firing kind of not great for Zisha pots? Doesn't the higher fire significantly decrease the porousness (sp?) and thus the ability to form a solid patina? Why are zhuni pots with the high fire a good thing?

Thanks!

Mar 17th, '12, 06:14

by chrl42 » Mar 17th, '12, 06:14

needaTEAcher wrote:I thought the grey meant high fire. The pot in particular that I'm thinking about is def legit. So isn't high firing kind of not great for Zisha pots? Doesn't the higher fire significantly decrease the porousness (sp?) and thus the ability to form a solid patina? Why are zhuni pots with the high fire a good thing?

Thanks!
I dunno if I quite got your meaning. Late-Qing had many of those pots..the reason I think was those Zhunis were very delicate-processed clays, thus it get crystallized at low temperature. But during old-time controlling temperature wasn't easy as nowadays.

Relatively high temp is good for pronounced color but too high temp will cause irregular coloring which is kiln-color-change..

Mar 20th, '12, 15:42
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 20th, '12, 15:42

chrl42 wrote:color and long 'lip' of lid reminds me of late-Qing~ROC
has a picture of inside-pot and chop? (bigger the better)
Will this works Chrl42?

Mar 21st, '12, 10:08

by David R. » Mar 21st, '12, 10:08

OMG, what a gorgeous skin !

Mar 21st, '12, 13:38
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 21st, '12, 13:38

David R. wrote:OMG, what a gorgeous skin !
Thanks David. They call it the muscle marks :lol:

+ Post Reply