Mar 10th, '12, 18:54

Chinese restaurant teas and question on organic teas

by Violet » Mar 10th, '12, 18:54

There are 2 types of teas I had at Chinese restaurants and really liked. One was a dark honey color, and one was a yellowish color. Both fragrant. I can't describe them well. I was trying to figure out which teas they were, and I read many forum threads.

Then I bought few types. First I tried Oolong, stupidly, not realizing it was such a dark tea. Then I tried Jasmine Oolong. It is somewhat similar, but different than either one I wanted. I do like it, but not quite as much as the two I seek. Then I tried Chrysanthemum flowers and soaked in water. It was nothing like what I expected or wanted. Third, I tried Ti Kuan Yin. It is good too, but only marginally similar to the darker tea I wanted.

I know they often mix together teas. Any suggestions on what other teas I should try?

Then comes the hard part. I am trying to find organic teas. I don't care about it being officially labeled organic, but I am worried about pesticide residue and possibly other bad processing/storage practices. It looks to me like there is no organic form of many Asian teas. Is that true? If so, I may have to switch and learn to like some organic tea I can find. I seem to like floral teas and nothing too dark. Green tea just seems OK to me. I could probably learn to like it.

Mar 12th, '12, 16:38

Re: Chinese restaurant teas and question on organic teas

by teaisme » Mar 12th, '12, 16:38

Sometimes chinese restaurants like to serve white tea.

Maybe an organic shui mai would fit the bill? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Organic ... 335949a4b9
Violet wrote:It looks to me like there is no organic form of many Asian teas.
I think there is more then plenty organic tea out there, but yes many specific styles are harder to find labelled as organic. Usually with enough digging though you can find it.
Violet wrote:Green tea just seems OK to me. I could probably learn to like it.

Perhaps you just haven't tried one you like yet. There are tons of different kinds, all with very different taste profiles.

Mar 17th, '12, 03:29

by bagua7 » Mar 17th, '12, 03:29

Violet wrote:There are 2 types of teas I had at Chinese restaurants and really liked. One was a dark honey color
Puerh, what the Cantonese call bolay, but a cheap one because they serve tons of it on a daily basis. I still like those teas, they are used to facilitate digestion. Puerh has a strong affinity with the earth element (organs ruled by this energy are the stomach (yang)-spleen (yin) pairing).

Mar 19th, '12, 13:24

by teaisme » Mar 19th, '12, 13:24

don't think its shu

she said dark honey color

Mar 19th, '12, 13:47

by tenuki » Mar 19th, '12, 13:47

Ask them? I found my local restaurant used 'oolong tea'. I know this because I asked and they gave me a sample tea bag. That is what it said on the wrapper. All that it said. :)

Mar 19th, '12, 17:11

by wyardley » Mar 19th, '12, 17:11

It really depends on the restaurant. But loose tea is fairly uncommon except in certain types of place. Flower scented tea, like jasmine tea, typically on a fairly light tea base, is probably the most common.

I don't think blending in-house is as common as it used to be when more restaurants served loose tea. Asking, or looking at the box they take the tea out of when serving it, is probably the easiest way to find out.

+ Post Reply