Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam Puerh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 9th, '12, 22:38

Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam Puerh

by needaTEAcher » Feb 9th, '12, 22:38

Any thoughts on pu from these countries? Advice on where in Thailand or Laos to find it?

Feb 10th, '12, 01:09

Re: Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam Puerh

by shah82 » Feb 10th, '12, 01:09

The Montreal teahouse Camellia Sinesis has some tea from those areas.

Thailand has oolongs, but they don't grow big-leaf tea. Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, and a teeny stretch of northern Kampuchea do.

Feb 10th, '12, 17:02

by beecrofter » Feb 10th, '12, 17:02

If you are talking border teas they can provide many pleasant surprises and much variability when compared to large factories who tend to favor consistancy.
The tea plant does not recognize borders.

Mar 13th, '12, 15:30

by bryan_drinks_tea » Mar 13th, '12, 15:30

WKChua had posted examples of the stuff at one point but he is busy and doesn't post here very often anymore. You can find it on the Pu of the Day Thread, but be warned: it's a pretty long thread.

Mar 16th, '12, 00:19

by chrl42 » Mar 16th, '12, 00:19

haven't had a pleasant surprise with border teas..

Mar 16th, '12, 00:51
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 16th, '12, 00:51

chrl42 wrote:haven't had a pleasant surprise with border teas..
The Rainbow Herbicides did not surprise you Chrl? :twisted:

Mar 16th, '12, 00:54
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 16th, '12, 00:54

I have a CNNP Myanmar tuo (not labeled so, only labeled CNNP) that I like very much. The leaves in it are in very good shape. I guess it's because labor cost is lower on the other side.

Mar 16th, '12, 01:16

by MarshalN » Mar 16th, '12, 01:16

Border teas are quite predictable - once you've had a few you know exactly what they taste like. They're fine for what they are, just don't expect too much

Mar 16th, '12, 04:32

by needaTEAcher » Mar 16th, '12, 04:32

Milk and sugar really smooth it out. Cheaper than "red" teas by a good bit, but often better in a different way. Earthy, gritty, smoky, DEEP (but with a very narrow spectrum)

Mar 16th, '12, 10:22

by tingjunkie » Mar 16th, '12, 10:22

Any wild trees across the border waiting to be found? Ones that have escaped pesticides perhaps?

Mar 16th, '12, 23:53

by chrl42 » Mar 16th, '12, 23:53

TIM wrote:
chrl42 wrote:haven't had a pleasant surprise with border teas..
The Rainbow Herbicides did not surprise you Chrl? :twisted:
me not have many experience..yesterday I went to teashop asked about border teas..got many good feedbacks.. :mrgreen:

Mar 26th, '12, 01:55

by zhi zheng » Mar 26th, '12, 01:55

Laos, Burma and Thailand all have old tea trees. In Laos they're in the Phongsali area, not far east of Yiwu in China and as a consequence, it's not uncommon for Phongsali tea to end up in Yiwu tea. I have seen Burmese da shu cha being pressed in Jinghong, and used to know the owner of a tea plantation outside Chiang Rai, who also had (access to) old tea trees in the mountains outside Chiang Rai, but never got to taste it.

There's no reason to suppose that Puer made from old/ancient tea trees in neighbouring countries is inferior per se. Obviously, different histories in different places will have affected tea cultivation and the trees and also, there are many different micro-climates. Cultivation practices and tea making skills are likely to cause the biggest differences.

Someone I know here told me a while back that they had been to Phongsali and got fresh leaves from which they made tea themselves. They reckoned there was nothing wrong with it.

We had some Burmese tuo around the shop somewhere that someone had given us - can't find them now - 'Jungle Tea' or something. As I can remember, it wasn't a huge disappointment.

Plenty of those old KMT folks went to Shan state when they left Xishuangbanna, and must have taken their tea making knowledge with them, though perhaps they turned their hands to more profitable crops.

If I understand the phrase correctly, 'border tea' refers to tea that was made specifically for export to neighbouring countries or border regions, as opposed to tea that was grown and made in those countries, but maybe that's wrong?

Mar 28th, '12, 10:56

by needaTEAcher » Mar 28th, '12, 10:56

Thank you Zhi. That was an awesome answer.

Apr 9th, '12, 16:17

by hop_goblin » Apr 9th, '12, 16:17

Puerh only comes from Yunnan, every thing else is just tea. :wink:

Apr 10th, '12, 12:51

by Tead Off » Apr 10th, '12, 12:51

I have never seen Thai puerh. Never heard of it. That's not to say it doesn't exist. KMT farmers were more involved with opium production than tea after their exit from China. They needed money to fund their utopian dreams of counter revolution. It was the Taiwanese who helped them setup tea production in the 80's in conjunction with the Thai gov't as the pressure to give up opium farming was great and the chance of counter revolution was nil. The tea production focused on oolongs, Taiwanese style. Vietnam also ramped up its gaoshan production and these 2 producers still feed their lesser quality oolongs into the Taiwanese market.

I could see Myanmar, Lao, and Vietnam, having some puerh production as the border people are virtually the same as well as the wild tea that also grows there. But I have yet to see any Thai puerh and never saw any Myanmar puerh being sold in the markets of Yangon. Maybe in Shan State you can find. Never saw any Vietnamese puerh in the markets in Hanoi, either. Maybe they sell some closer to the Yunnan border. Yunnan's Dian culture was related to Vietnam's Dongson culture. 2500 years ago, there was plenty of trade between these 2 areas. Some historians say they were the same people.

I have never had a memorable tea from any border country. I had a pleasant green from Myanmar and Thailand but nothing that I would buy again. Worse for Lao.

+ Post Reply