Dec 8th, '07, 19:56

Tetsubin?

by LavenderPekoe » Dec 8th, '07, 19:56

My dad would like a tetsubin. Where do you think is a good place to get one? The prices seem really varied. I think I like the one at The Tao of Tea. It is $25 and 14 ounces. I don't know if it is going to be big enough, although, he will only be brewing 1 cup (8 ounces or more) at a time. Has anyone here shopped at The Tao of Tea?

It looks like RoT has some good deals, but I am not really fond of shopping there if I don't have to.

Dec 9th, '07, 02:02

by Mary R » Dec 9th, '07, 02:02

Tetsubin prices are odd. They're so popular these days that you can find nice ones at places like TJ Maxx, probably for $20. These tend to be that basic hobnail style, sometimes with a color over top or a basic motif like ginkgo leaves worked in somewhere. Anything more elaborate, and you're likely to pay higher prices.

I've shopped at Tao and like them. If your dad's only going to be brewing a cup at a time, though, I'd look for something smaller. I did a quick google on 8 oz sizes and found a couple for about $15. Cast iron pots, however, are something you're likely to find cheaper in a brick-and-mortar store.

Dec 9th, '07, 02:31
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Dec 9th, '07, 02:31

My mom gave me a tetsubin a few years ago and I have grown to love it. She used to have other tetsubin, but they have vanished over the years and I haven't had the heart to ask my dad what happened to them.

I suspect my mom got mine fairly cheap -- you can probably find one at Tuesday Morning or someplace like that. You can find them on Amazon too, but most of the prices are around $50.

Good luck.

Dec 9th, '07, 10:08

by Mary R » Dec 9th, '07, 10:08

My first tetsubin came from a Tuesday Morning, and I love it. I think it cost me $19.99, and it was unglazed...which I love.

None of these pots are really artisan pieces or anything, so I can't justify spending over $25 for them. I'd save that money for tracking down truly great pieces.

Dec 9th, '07, 10:28

by LavenderPekoe » Dec 9th, '07, 10:28

I don't think we have Tuesday Mornings here (this is the only place I have ever heard of them). I think I will get the one from Tao (I am going to throw some tea in the order too). He said he wanted one bigger than *small* so 14 oz should be ok. He doesn't have to fill it all the way up. :) He brews a lot of Green Pekoe Blues from Adagio and that needs a good amount of tea, even English style, so I wanted to make sure he had enough room with the tea in the pot. I thought about it, though, and I think it would be an ok size.

Thanks for your responses.
Teas for trade:

+ Post Reply