Tins or Bags?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 23rd, '12, 08:59

Tins or Bags?

by sherubtse » Mar 23rd, '12, 08:59

Matcha almost invariably comes in tins, rather than in sealed bags like sencha and gyo. Wouldn't bags be cheaper, and thus a better buy for the consumer.

Anyone know why so few vendor sell matcha in sealed bags?

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Mar 23rd, '12, 09:14

Re: Tins or Bags?

by AdamMY » Mar 23rd, '12, 09:14

Well usually there are sealed bags inside the tins. My best guess as to why the tins are there, is you do not want compressed matcha, even if you do sift. I can imagine if a bag that doesn't have stiff sides if the matcha were to get pressed it can alter how the matcha sifts.

That being said I do know ippodo sells some of their Matcha in bags surrounded by mini cardbord boxes, which seems to be more of a compromise.

Mar 23rd, '12, 09:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '12, 09:47

As does Zencha, in fact they sell only in bags. The bag of matcha is inside a zip seal bag. So, you would still keep the matcha in the inner bag in order to prevent losing matcha that adheres to anything and everything (and would keep it fresher too). Or you can just put it into one of those umpteen matcha tins we all have, but even there I would keep it in the inner bag.

Mar 23rd, '12, 10:20
Vendor Member

by Xell » Mar 23rd, '12, 10:20

Yame matcha that i'm drinking doesn't have extra bag inside, only rubber coating on lid. Nitrogen flushed and of course there is seal that you pull out when opening. My best guess as to why it so, is to avoid static electricity as much, as possible, so matcha doesn't form extra clots.

Mar 23rd, '12, 10:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '12, 10:27

Xell wrote:Yame matcha that i'm drinking doesn't have extra bag inside, only rubber coating on lid. Nitrogen flushed and of course there is seal that you pull out when opening. My best guess as to why it so, is to avoid static electricity as much, as possible, so matcha doesn't form extra clots.
If I get a tin, and there is an inner bag that contains the matcha, I keep it in the bag. I will roll it up and get the air out after each use, then clip it.

But with tins, about half the time there is an inner bag and half the time there is not.

Mar 23rd, '12, 12:47

by sherubtse » Mar 23rd, '12, 12:47

Thanks for the replies.
Chip wrote:As does Zencha, in fact they sell only in bags. The bag of matcha is inside a zip seal bag.
Any idea how the quality of Zencha matcha (in bags only) compares to that of, for example, O-Cha (in bags protected by tins)?

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply