Pu er storage in attic

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 28th, '12, 12:23

Pu er storage in attic

by HifideliTea » Mar 28th, '12, 12:23

After 4 years in China, I am back in Singapore for good. My shopping for pu erh will now be selective and limited, most probably in KL and Beijing.

The hoard of teas and accessories arrived safely last week and will be stored in the attic, which is about 10 feet above the 2nd level of the house.

Here are some pictures of the storage area. I've yet to design the access to the attic (an industrial ladder is now used) and the shelving for the teas. I do not know if a cupboard or open shelves should be used, and if the tea can be affected by too much natural light in open shelving - I am grateful for any advise on this.

I am also concerned about the higher temperature 25-30 C and humidity 65-70% up in the attic compared to cooler conditions at ground level. I may need to instal a wall dehumidifier or air con the area.
Attic from level 2.jpg
Access to attic via an industrial ladder
Attic from level 2.jpg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
Attic looking down.jpg
Attic looking down
Attic looking down.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
Tea in a corner.jpg
Tea placed temporarily in a corner of attic
Tea in a corner.jpg (22.83 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
More pictures to follow.
Thank you for any advise on the open shelving vs cupboards and temperature/humidity conditions.

Mar 28th, '12, 12:30

Re: Pu er storage in attic

by HifideliTea » Mar 28th, '12, 12:30

More pictures..
Attic window outside.jpg
View from the attic window
Attic window outside.jpg (22.42 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Attic with roof ventilator.jpg
Another roof ventilator will be installed around attic
Attic with roof ventilator.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
These two units has different readings. One is German made, the other Chinese made. Guess which has the correct reading?
2 different readings.jpg
2 hygrometer/thermometer
2 different readings.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 3801 times

Mar 28th, '12, 13:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 28th, '12, 13:19

Heh, I'll go with the "obvious" guess and say the German one is correct (I can't really see the dials?), but then again, I would also say that hygrometers usually need to be calibrated with some degree of frequency... so they both could be correct-ed... haha

As for the storage place, I think the temperature and humidity sounds just about right...?

I would be a little concerned about the light, however. As long as it is not direct sunlight, you're probably okay. I suppose it depends on just how much indirect/ambient light you're talking about. Any pu'erh in wrappers/containers will be fine, but any exposed pu will be less-so.

By the way.... very nice haul...!!

Mar 28th, '12, 13:26

by MarshalN » Mar 28th, '12, 13:26

Yeah, first thought that occurred to me is the light - looks pretty bright up there. Light also = heat.

Mar 29th, '12, 02:15

by HifideliTea » Mar 29th, '12, 02:15

Thanks Drax and MarshalN for the feedback. Drax, there's more tea along both sides of the wall and behind it. And it needs to be sorted out within the next few weeks.

Even though the area is bright, there is no direct sun from where the windows are. I may have to put shades on the windows or film coat the glass to reduce the light. Most of the bings and toongs are in the original boxes, bamboo wrappers or in cloth bags, the loose teas are stored in cloth bags and placed in large Yixing pots.
I wonder if that would take care of the light.

As for heat, I've decided to place a roof ventilator on the highest point of the sloping attic roof. It does reduce heat by 3-5 degree C.

I hope a wall mounted dehumidifier with a sensor and drill through the wall for excess water flow out to the roof would settle the humidity issue.

Thanks once again for the advise.

Mar 29th, '12, 03:56

by ycleong » Mar 29th, '12, 03:56

Hi KC, I wonder whether you really need to install a dehumidifier in your attic. I have been storing puer under similar conditions to what you have described for slightly more than ten years. In my puer storage area, I have experienced humidity spikes up to 80% at certain times of the year and my puer, both raw and ripe turned out none the worst. Meaning, no fungi infection and my puer tasted just fine as attested by my hardcore puer friends. I suggest you monitor the humidity in your attic for a longer period of time and observing your puer before moving ahead to install a dehumidifier.

Mar 29th, '12, 07:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Mar 29th, '12, 07:26

ycleong wrote:Hi KC, I wonder whether you really need to install a dehumidifier in your attic. I have been storing puer under similar conditions to what you have described for slightly more than ten years. In my puer storage area, I have experienced humidity spikes up to 80% at certain times of the year and my puer, both raw and ripe turned out none the worst. Meaning, no fungi infection and my puer tasted just fine as attested by my hardcore puer friends. I suggest you monitor the humidity in your attic for a longer period of time and observing your puer before moving ahead to install a dehumidifier.
That's great...! Good to hear from somebody who has done storage for that long. The cabinet that I use for most of my sheng ranges from 63-70%, and I've not had any problems either (only been doing for about 3 years, though).

Mar 29th, '12, 08:19

by MarshalN » Mar 29th, '12, 08:19

I agree with yc - no obvious need for dehumidifier yet, unless your attic is unusually humid for some reason. I think monitoring it first will be a good idea. My cakes went through the recent spring with two weeks of 90%+ humidity, and it's been fine.

Mar 29th, '12, 19:09

by Catfur » Mar 29th, '12, 19:09

One thing I've noticed in my (admittedly, rather short) pu storage adventures, is that bare cakes (bricks in my case) seem to mold before wrapped teas.

...if mold is what you are worrying about.

Mar 29th, '12, 19:27

by shah82 » Mar 29th, '12, 19:27

I'm just impressed KC Lam has a house in Singapore!

Mar 29th, '12, 22:14

by MarshalN » Mar 29th, '12, 22:14

shah82 wrote:I'm just impressed KC Lam has a house in Singapore!

Mar 30th, '12, 05:54

by auhckw » Mar 30th, '12, 05:54

Wow... Nice :)

Btw, you must be very strong to be able to carry such heavy boxes up that scary ladder :shock:

PS: I see you have carton of Dragon Pole... I know a SG forumer here who will be drooling at it... (WL, I know you are reading this... go make with with KC... hehe).

Mar 30th, '12, 14:03

by HifideliTea » Mar 30th, '12, 14:03

Thanks all for the feedback, suggestions and kind comments.

I was not into puerh yet when the house was designed with an attic. For whatever reason, I had the contractor hung a pulley on one of the ceiling beams, thinking that it would be useful to lift items up and down with ease.
As you can see from this picture, there is a large carton box in a netting and a rope...it is not difficult to lift it up and down with 2 person managing this primitive system. The ladder is very very sturdy as it's for industrial use.
Longer term, I'll need to build stairs or a vertical lift (picker).
Attic looking down.jpg
primitive pulley system
Attic looking down.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
As for shelving, I've not yet designed anything, just putting the teas in temporary shelves and also proposing a racking system to hang all the toongs (and I do not know if it's a good idea at all)...

Here's the concept:
hanging storage.jpg
Hanging pu erh's
hanging storage.jpg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
The dragon poles, 6 bings of 2007, one carton each of 2010 and 2011. Some of these are already reserved for family members.

Thanks again.

Apr 1st, '12, 02:02

by tenuki » Apr 1st, '12, 02:02

Your tea has a great view. Some people build a room with windows onto their house for their dogs or cats - you have done so for your tea. Very nice to your tea. :lol:

Apr 9th, '12, 16:15

by hop_goblin » Apr 9th, '12, 16:15

all that is left to do is wait to see which will age well.

+ Post Reply