Korean Corn tea.

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 1st, '12, 21:56

Korean Corn tea.

by SlientSipper » Apr 1st, '12, 21:56

I saw a bottle of Korean Corn tea today in Korea town.
That seemed very odd.
Have any of you seen tea made from non tea plants?

I also heard something about a new way to make Chinese green teas on K.N.P.R this morning but, I didn't get the whole story. :?

Apr 1st, '12, 22:18

Re: Korean Corn tea.

by debunix » Apr 1st, '12, 22:18

In addition to tea made from toasted barley, I've seen (and have in my cupboard) toasted corn for tea on sale in Korean markets. That's not to mention the variety of interesting herbal teas, including my favorite gamro leaf.

Apr 1st, '12, 23:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 1st, '12, 23:51

debunix wrote:In addition to tea made from toasted barley, I've seen (and have in my cupboard) toasted corn for tea on sale in Korean markets. That's not to mention the variety of interesting herbal teas, including my favorite gamro leaf.
YAY Gamro! :mrgreen:

Just about any "grain" may be roasted and had on its own or blended with tea. It is cheap which is a primary reason for its use. Corn, barley, buckwheat, and rice are the most common of this group.

I often roast my own grains ... but then again, Koreatown pretty far away. But I think sometimes my results are better anyway.

Of course, in the West, often ultra purists get bent out of shape any time someone calls something tea that is not C.S. Come to think of it, I have done so years ago as well, mostly because this was part of my "programming" via sources of info available at the time, mostly vendors.

Apr 2nd, '12, 00:03

by SlientSipper » Apr 2nd, '12, 00:03

Never had Gamro. Sounds good though.
I've had mixed experiences with Barley and buckwheat teas.
Same with Rice.
Its always a gamble with non C.S teas with me.

Apr 4th, '12, 11:31

by gasninja » Apr 4th, '12, 11:31

My favorite korean Resturaunt serves this with every meal

Apr 8th, '12, 03:22

by beachape » Apr 8th, '12, 03:22

I enjoy both barley and corn tea as a decaffeinated late night tea. Most often i will mix a little roasted barley and corn together. You can buy big bags of the stuff from a korean grocery store for a low price. To the "tea" purist, in China these drinks translate directly to "barley tea" and "corn tea." Not sure about korea.

Jul 19th, '12, 15:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Symmetry » Jul 19th, '12, 15:45

I buy whole barley, buckwheat, and corn (well, dehydrated kernels) and toast them myself under the broiler. A giant container of that is great to drink through the day, and it's great no matter what you do! I've accidentally left it steeping until the water got cold, but it was just a stronger flavor (with a lot more of the barley than corn...)

It's also good cold or hot, but I would not do a cold infusion. The flavor just isn't there - but then, I only left mine in the fridge for a few days.

You can even stick it in a large thermos and drink it all day! The flavor just gets better and better.

I live somewhat near a WinCo (megamarket with a huge bulk section), so I just buy my ingredients in bulk, but if you aren't so fortunate, look around for Asian (especially Korean) stores. You can find 25-lb bags of everything you need in the larger stores.

+ Post Reply