Aging puerh vs aging oolong

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 31st, '12, 10:35

Aging puerh vs aging oolong

by MIKE_B » Mar 31st, '12, 10:35

From all I have read, the belief is that sheng needs humidity and a bit of air to age. It is said that storing puerh in arid conditions will eventually "kill" a cake.

On storing oolong for long term aging, a humidity free environment is said to be ideal. Sometimes oolong is re-roasted very few years to remove any moisture from the leaves. Some suggest aging oolong in airtight containers.

If my heavily roasted Da Hong Pao will be happily aging in a vacuum sealed bag tucked away in a dark dry closet, why wouldn't a bing of pu age in the same conditions?

Mar 31st, '12, 10:59

Re: Aging puerh vs aging oolong

by Poohblah » Mar 31st, '12, 10:59

Because sheng is aged by fermentation and biological processes but oolong is not?

Apr 2nd, '12, 08:27

by chrl42 » Apr 2nd, '12, 08:27

MIKE_B wrote:From all I have read, the belief is that sheng needs humidity and a bit of air to age. It is said that storing puerh in arid conditions will eventually "kill" a cake.

On storing oolong for long term aging, a humidity free environment is said to be ideal. Sometimes oolong is re-roasted very few years to remove any moisture from the leaves. Some suggest aging oolong in airtight containers.

If my heavily roasted Da Hong Pao will be happily aging in a vacuum sealed bag tucked away in a dark dry closet, why wouldn't a bing of pu age in the same conditions?
That's a tough conclusion. Relative humidity will do good for aging, but over humidity (in some part of Taiwan/GD) will kill, and there is no way to revive. There's a belief that half period in dry/half period in wet place be ideal condition, but that's when a bing isn't spoiled in mold odors. It doesn't matter if you like the taste of it.

I don't like too dry storage either, it feels tough in throat..but what do you mean by arid condition? is it Beijing or Kunming? I do know these places are not too good for aging, but never heard it will kill. Forgive foul language.. :mrgreen:

Apr 2nd, '12, 11:54

by MIKE_B » Apr 2nd, '12, 11:54

I realize now that this was a dumb question.
I understand that the aging of puerh and oolongs are different things.
(Maybe I was teadrunk when I postsed this)

Chrl42, by "arid" I meant the conditions of my home here in New England. Heat running in the winter and sometimes A/C in the summer. Very, very dry.

+ Post Reply