Kenilworth Estate Ceylon tea - is it a Dimbula, a Kandy, or

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Kenilworth Estate Ceylon tea - is it a Dimbula, a Kandy, or

Postby mbanu » Apr 2nd, '12, 15:55

While everyone agrees that Kenilworth Estate is in Central Province in Sri Lanka near a place called “Ginigathena”, I’ve seen conflicting descriptions of which tea-growing region it falls into. Some say Kandy, some say Dimbula, and a couple even suggest Nuwara Eliya.

Anyone familiar with Sri Lankan geography able to help clear this up? :)
mbanu

Re: Kenilworth Estate Ceylon tea - is it a Dimbula, a Kandy, or

Postby Tead Off » Apr 2nd, '12, 23:50

mbanu wrote:While everyone agrees that Kenilworth Estate is in Central Province in Sri Lanka near a place called “Ginigathena”, I’ve seen conflicting descriptions of which tea-growing region it falls into. Some say Kandy, some say Dimbula, and a couple even suggest Nuwara Eliya.

Anyone familiar with Sri Lankan geography able to help clear this up? :)

I'm looking at a very good map of Sri Lanka. Ginigathena is closest geographically to Dimbula, then Nuwara Eliya. Kandy is farther and to the north. But I don't know the growing region classifications and can't find that information.
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Postby mbanu » Apr 3rd, '12, 02:48

Thanks for your help! I think I've found something. :)

It is some paperwork from the Sri Lankan government. Technically it is related to Ozone certification, but attatched to the end from pages 10 to 33, is what looks like an official list of which estates belong to which regions. I don't know if it is complete, but it does list Kenilworth. Apparently it is stylistically Kandy tea, but the actual estate is in Nuwara Eliya. To add confusion, it appears that the factory where the leaves are processed is in Hatton, which is in the Dimbula region... can that be right??? A fusion tea, maybe. :)
mbanu

Postby Tead Off » Apr 3rd, '12, 05:08

mbanu wrote:Thanks for your help! I think I've found something. :)

It is some paperwork from the Sri Lankan government. Technically it is related to Ozone certification, but attatched to the end from pages 10 to 33, is what looks like an official list of which estates belong to which regions. I don't know if it is complete, but it does list Kenilworth. Apparently it is stylistically Kandy tea, but the actual estate is in Nuwara Eliya. To add confusion, it appears that the factory where the leaves are processed is in Hatton, which is in the Dimbula region... can that be right??? A fusion tea, maybe. :)

It's possible. It's also possible that the tea is a blend of different estates and the name Kenilworth is used for the marketing. This would be similar to what Makaibari does in Darjeeling. Much of it is blended I am told.

I was going to be in Sri Lanka in mid April but decided against it. Too hot and wet now.
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Postby Dresden » Apr 3rd, '12, 12:57

Kenilworth Estate Ceylon... I dunno what region. I just know it's delicious!
Dresden

Postby AlexZorach » Apr 17th, '12, 10:34

This is interesting, and would explain the discrepancy I see. Upton marks it as being from Kandy. Murchie's notes it as being from the "Kalani Valley" wherever that is.
AlexZorach

Postby sneakers » Jul 8th, '12, 00:16

It's my "house" tea.
sneakers

Instant Messenger

Permissions