PTR 1: AirScape Product Testing

New program, "Product Testing, & Review"

PTR 1: AirScape Product Testing

Postby Chip » Mar 29th, '12, 14:07

PTR 1 (Product Testing and Review). Something new!

The first of hopefully many opportunities for members to test and review new or innovative or simply different products for use in the enjoyment of tea.

See the first reply for how you can receive an AirScape Canister for testing and review ... for you to keep. The "32 ounce"AirScape we will be testing has an MSRP of $29.95 ($19.95 direct from LiquidPlanet) plus shipping.

AirScape offered by LiquidPlanet.com. Here is a rather innovative approach to keeping our tea away from Tea Enemy #1, air! The AirScape features an easy to use plunger system that allows the user to depress the inner lid (complete with gasket) down the interior of the canister thus greatly reducing exposure to air. Then the lever is depressed to "seal the deal." The outer (top) lid also has a gasket and a clever "one-way" air valve that only allows air out, not in. The canister body is a solid stainless steel.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=airscape

http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=760

You can check out demo videos on either of the above links.
Unfortunately the photos on the site do not show the AirScape inner lid "plunged." Weather permitting, I will try to post a photo tomorrow (or check out one of their videos).

Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: PTR 1: AirScape Product Testing

Postby Chip » Mar 29th, '12, 16:28

The goal of PTR is to ... create opportunities for our members to receive selected products. Then have members of our TeaChat community test products. The participants will then be asked to post impressions, reviews, etc. on the product they receive.

In order to remain eligible for future PTRs, participants must also participate in the discussion in this topic! This is intended to be mutually beneficial. We receive product, the seller receives feedback and hopefully a degree of good publicity! :mrgreen:

How do you receive an AirScape to test and review? Simple, PM me NOW (and by this coming Tuesday at 6 pm Eastern USA time). You will be entered into a drawing to receive 1 of 5 AirScapes that have been generously donated by LiquidPlanet! If you click on PM to the right of this post, it will automatically have the right subject. Otherwise, PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE "PTR 1 AirScape" in the subject!

In your PM, please state your color preferences from the following colors in order of preference.

Green
Black
Paprika
Lavender

If you are a "winner" ... then all I ask is that you help me with shipping. I figure $5 for USA and $7 for all others. Thanks!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Apr 4th, '12, 12:15

The drawing list is now finalized.

And the winners are ...

TBA after the drawing!
:mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Apr 4th, '12, 18:52

Thank you to everyone who put their name into the hat for this drawing! I wish I could declare everyone a winner, however we received a limited supply of AirScapes donated by PlanetaryDesigns/LiquidPlanet.

And after the highly scientific drawing :mrgreen: ... the winners are in order of draw:

Dresden
Mike_B
Abracadaver!
Demonyc
Proinsias

I will be contacting the winners soon. As mentioned in a previous post, winners will receive the AirScape and will post their review/thoughts on the product here ... so stay tuned.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby MIKE_B » Apr 5th, '12, 12:37

Lucky me! Thanks.
MIKE_B

Postby Dresden » Apr 5th, '12, 12:45

Chip wrote:The drawing list is now finalized.

And the winners are ...

TBA after the drawing!
:mrgreen:

How Ryan Seacrest of you... :lol:
Dresden

Postby tenuki » Apr 5th, '12, 19:50

I use those for my coffee - really good product IMO.
tenuki

Postby Chip » Jun 25th, '12, 21:58

... and we are back live for this product testing!

Thank you again to PlanetaryDesign/LiquidPlanet for donating these innovative AirScape canisters for some of us to product test.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=airscape

http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=760

I am happy to report that the 5 winners' packages are ready to be shipped tomorrow (Tuesday June 26th). Sorry for the delay in shipping, I have been dealing with a rather prolonged family medical ... situation.

I have had my sample out for a while now. These are pretty clever canisters. I hope you enjoy the product testing and will favor us with a report.

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Dresden » Jun 27th, '12, 18:24

Glad to hear things are settling down a bit for you Chip... I look forward to testing out this product... I have had a few test in mind. :twisted:

Time for some nice relaxing houjicha,
Mike
Dresden

Postby Chip » Jun 27th, '12, 19:28

Thank you kindly, Mike.

Still pretty crazy here, but I guess I am adapting. Life goes on, hopefully. 8)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby edkrueger » Aug 27th, '12, 19:14

So, how are they?
edkrueger

Postby Chip » Aug 27th, '12, 19:41

edkrueger wrote:So, how are they?

I guess I can get the canister rolling.

First off, they are really heavy duty with thick walls ... and have serious heft to them. They do not warp or "give" when applying pressure on the air release lid.

The plunger is quite funtuction for removing excess air from the canister. So as you use more and more, you simply press the plunger deeper and deeper. The outer lid stays at the top which is nicer and more paractical then not having the added lid at the top.

If you like contemporary design, you will like their looks. The sides have to be perfectly vertical in order for the plunger system to work.

I could see using them more if the size was more conducive to my personal choices in tea, Japanese greens mostly. This is the smallest size at this time. It would take a LOT (of green tea and green cash) to fill the canister. But I would think this would be great for storing and aging oolongs, especially the more wirey types versus the rolled ball types. Still, my biggest recommendation is to make smaller units for the more specialty tea drinker.

As long as the plunger holds up, I could see these outliving me. An interesting concept and product that should have a good future.

I could also see purchasing spray canisters (sort of an aerosol hairspray size) of nitro available at liquor stores for preserving wine, etc., and using this in combination with this unit for storing high end greens from China. This would be a simplified at home nitrogen flushing system.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby teaisme » Aug 28th, '12, 15:52

so has anyones plunger gotten very hard to push down?

I have a friend who has this problem, and was wondering if there was a easy fix, no we have not contacted them, prob should i know
teaisme

Postby zeto » Jun 11th, '13, 08:44

I posted a similar item request http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18768 and was directed here.

For shame that 5 people got to test them, but none came back here to write a review except Chip.
zeto

Postby Chip » Jun 11th, '13, 12:37

zeto wrote:For shame that 5 people got to test them, but none came back here to write a review except Chip.

Yes, this makes it difficult to move forward with future PTRs as participation is paramount for contributing sellers of products.

My Airscape is still functioning quite nicely, no problems.

My only hang up with the product is it is BIG for my personal use. Yes, I can just plunge it deeper, but I would be more comfortable with smaller units that might hold say ... 100 grams of Japanese greens. I think such a product would work very well for such a use.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions