Break up a bit of cake and air it for a few days?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 8th, '12, 09:48

Break up a bit of cake and air it for a few days?

by teacrazy » Apr 8th, '12, 09:48

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to break off say 7g or whatever a serving size is off a cake, and age it for a few days in a baggie, rather than brew it right away?

Apr 8th, '12, 10:20

Re: break up a bit of cake and air it for a few days?

by brose » Apr 8th, '12, 10:20

It depends on what you want. I have tried this when traveling and my really nice raw lost some of the outstanding aromas. However, if it is a bad cake it does not seem to get rid of much of the bad stuff (fishy, swampy or whatever your trying to get rid of). A few days is trivial in comparison to sitting around for months/years and will not do much in the way of oxidizing. Maybe if you break off a piece and let it sit for several years you might get something nice :)

Apr 8th, '12, 10:22
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Apr 8th, '12, 10:22

If it is a tea you drink regularly, break off a bunch and store in a clay pot or non-airtight container. (Even a jar with perhaps paper and rubber band as a top). 7g in a baggie won't do alot. Avoid smelly locations like next to the stove or cupboard with spice rack.

But yes, a bit of airing can improve both sheng and shu, not matter what the age.

Apr 8th, '12, 20:58

by hop_goblin » Apr 8th, '12, 20:58

I will often times break up shupu to rid some of the off flavors if it is not aged.

+ Post Reply