Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Celadon Show and Tell

by jaderabbit » Dec 28th, '11, 13:54

You guys are killing me!
I think a Xu De Jia piece is in my future now. :twisted: :cry: :mrgreen:

Apr 7th, '12, 01:40

by chrisd » Apr 7th, '12, 01:40

What do you all think of this celadon set from DragonTeaHouse on Ebay? Is it a good one, or would you advise to keep looking?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230767365637?ss ... 1423.l2649

Apr 7th, '12, 08:37

by Drax » Apr 7th, '12, 08:37

I don't have any experience with Feng Qing Tang celadon. But given the price of an individual gaiwan is $27 (free shipping), the set's price is certainly nice.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is it a crackled glaze, or a smooth glaze? I only ask, because one of the reasons I purchased a celadon gaiwan a few months ago was to get that great aged crackling.

Wish I could help out more than that...

Apr 10th, '12, 00:08

by Acaelus » Apr 10th, '12, 00:08

Drax wrote:I don't have any experience with Feng Qing Tang celadon. But given the price of an individual gaiwan is $27 (free shipping), the set's price is certainly nice.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is it a crackled glaze, or a smooth glaze? I only ask, because one of the reasons I purchased a celadon gaiwan a few months ago was to get that great aged crackling.

Wish I could help out more than that...
Feng Qing celadon is porcelain, it's completely high fired so it doesn't crack, as well as being incredibly thin. I believe I have the waste water bowl, bought from a Taiwanese tea shop (pity all they had that was affordable was the scented... They didn't seem at all inclined to help me even though I spent an hour perusing their aged sheng), and it's completely smooth like porcelain should be.

Apr 19th, '12, 10:46

by paul haigh » Apr 19th, '12, 10:46

Celadon need not be old to have crazing/crackle. Crackle is often due just to a difference in the expansion of the glaze and the clay body. If the glaze expands/contracts a lot with temperature, then as the piece cools in the kiln the glaze will have to shrink more and it must craze, much in the same way as a piece of wood cracking as the outer part shrinks more rapidly during drying.

My standard celadon does not craze on my stoneware, but does on porcelain. The same glaze can be a forest green on iron bearing clays, but is a cool, icy green on porcelain.

Another point- if a piece is wood fired, then ash will tend to make the glaze craze as it mixes in with the glaze and has a very high coefficient of expansion. Interestingly, you will see crazing on the side of the pot that faced the fire and the opposite inside where the fire danced across the lip and the ash hit the other side.

Apr 19th, '12, 11:28

by Drax » Apr 19th, '12, 11:28

Sorry, I should have been more precise, but by "great aged crackling," I meant the dark staining of the crackles that happens with much use.

But the other stuff is good to know, too...! :D

Apr 19th, '12, 11:33

by paul haigh » Apr 19th, '12, 11:33

Ahh- understood. Here I am blabbing away :wink:

You can tell I know a lot more about pottery talk than tea talk!

Apr 19th, '12, 12:09

by Drax » Apr 19th, '12, 12:09

I'm always interested in the other stuff, too! I don't know that I've seen a mixed-crazed piece before, but I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Speaking of which, I vaguely recall that celadon pottery can sometimes suffer catastrophic results, where the changes in the glaze literally rips the piece apart... have you ever had that happen?

Apr 19th, '12, 13:06

by paul haigh » Apr 19th, '12, 13:06

Any glaze could have a "poor fit". The opposite of crazing is "shivering". If the solid glaze does not shrink as much as the pot does, then pieces of glaze can pop off, or the pot can be ripped apart. I have only had this happen, thankfully, with experimental glazes- never with a celadon.

There are a lot of different kinds of celadon, as have been discussed here- some are glossy, matte, fish scaled, pale blue, gray, green, etc etc. I tend to stick with only iron as a colorant. My main celadon only works in the hot part of the kiln, it likes to be applied somewhat thick, and it develops lots of tiny bubbles in the glaze that give a great effect (not surface bubbles, more like they are trapped in the glass).

I have been experimenting with a red clay that I picked up in SC when I was there on business (in Edgefield, which has an amazing antebellum pottery history). I've been able to get colors ranging from deep almost copper green, to celadon, to tenmoku (black, breaking to rust color in thin spots) with simple clay/woodstove ash/feldspar combos. Some of these glazes give me wild electric blues that I did not expect. I was confused until a SC potter told me about the "rutile" mine and content in that local clay.

Aug 4th, '12, 18:07
Scrolling: fixed

by xmfi » Aug 4th, '12, 18:07

I bought these modern Korean celadon jars last summer at the Seoul Folk Flea Market. They were very inexpensive. :) All three are now filled with Chinese tea. Wish I'd been able to get a few more, but these three were already a bit of a pain to get back unbroken!

Aug 6th, '12, 09:54

by paul haigh » Aug 6th, '12, 09:54

A friend made this porcelain bowl, I did some iron brushwork, and threw my celadon on there, and fired it to probably ^13-14. The iron fluxed the glaze and moved creating this effect. The green color here is from 1.5% iron in the glaze, plus natural wood ash from the wood fire.

celabowl.jpg
celabowl.jpg (36.01 KiB) Viewed 3037 times

Aug 6th, '12, 10:11

by hopeofdawn » Aug 6th, '12, 10:11

Wow, that's a lovely piece! Love the contrast of the iron with the celadon.

Aug 6th, '12, 12:41

by David R. » Aug 6th, '12, 12:41

Wonderful !

Aug 6th, '12, 12:47

by paul haigh » Aug 6th, '12, 12:47

Thanks folks. I'd post more- showing the contrast of the same glaze on stoneware, but I don't want to appear to be advertising. Just thought that one was a stunner, and I was happy to have the collaborative effort

+ Post Reply