Who else has this problem?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 16th, '12, 13:16

Who else has this problem?

by Leo_Blue » Apr 16th, '12, 13:16

I live in Utah, which is actually probably one of the top ten least informed states in the union when it comes to tea. For me in particular it is quite bad because I live in the county that is the biggest center for the Mormon church (I'm not trying to say anything bad about Mormons, but they don't have a friendly culture to tea). Because of this I encounter a lot of ignorance on the topic of tea. The thing I hear more than anything else though is when I first show them loose leaf tea. "Is that weed/pot/marijuana?" I don't know why but everyone here thinks that loose leaf tea looks like weed. Does anyone else have this problem?

TL:DR Why do people always assume that loose leaf tea is weed?

Apr 16th, '12, 14:44

Re: Who else has this problem?

by teaisme » Apr 16th, '12, 14:44

I live in the south east and have similar comments all the time. Kinda interesting how associations like that work. If it looks like a dry smokeable material its weed, even if its black or red in color
:lol:
Leo_Blue wrote:Does anyone else have this problem?
I don't see it really as a problem, make them a good cup to reassure them its not weed :wink:

Apr 17th, '12, 01:16

by Leo_Blue » Apr 17th, '12, 01:16

Sadly I have actually had people decline a cup because they really did believe it was weed and wouldn't take my word for it. Sad really because they were missing out. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has been asked that. I thought it might have been a commentary on me as a person and not really the tea itself.

Apr 17th, '12, 01:55
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Apr 17th, '12, 01:55

I had similar problem once or twice. It was only few times because I didn't carry teacup around a lot. Ever since then, I decided to use my glass mug to carry brewed tea around to all kinds of offices and meetings as much as possible. Each problem is a teachable moment! :mrgreen:
On the other hand, a glass of green tea is often the best way to start conversation with many health-allied professionals. :D
But I can imagine it could be tough in Utah because Mormons are not supposed to drink tea at all and then it's hard to spread tea culture.

Apr 17th, '12, 03:32

by Leo_Blue » Apr 17th, '12, 03:32

Exactly! Here the mentality is (grossly generalizing here) that tea is in the same category of unhealthy habits that tobacco and alcohol are part of. I just recently put in an order for some '12 first flush greens and want a friend that is really into the food and beverage industry come over and try them. Unfortunately I am expecting a possible hesitation on his part because of his religious views. I don't have any problem with that, but it still does bring a dragonwell flavored tear to my eye.

Apr 17th, '12, 16:22
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Apr 17th, '12, 16:22

Leo_Blue wrote:Exactly! Here the mentality is (grossly generalizing here) that tea is in the same category of unhealthy habits that tobacco and alcohol are part of. I just recently put in an order for some '12 first flush greens and want a friend that is really into the food and beverage industry come over and try them. Unfortunately I am expecting a possible hesitation on his part because of his religious views. I don't have any problem with that, but it still does bring a dragonwell flavored tear to my eye.
Is he a Mormon? I thought Mormons are not allowed to drink tea at all (not sure if it's true but I got that impression from a Mormon I know). If that's true then probably he can't share your tea no matter what.

Apr 17th, '12, 16:51

by Leo_Blue » Apr 17th, '12, 16:51

He is Mormon, but it's not a super strict code for some of them. I know some people here that will not even drink herbal tea because it has the word tea in it, and I know others that will buy a cup of coffee on the way home from church (coffee is also part of the things they can't have). This person in particular is training to be a chef and tastes wines and other spirits that are part of recipes he makes (also something they can't have and frowned upon even more than tea or coffee). So in his case it's kind of a pick and choose type thing it seems.

Apr 17th, '12, 17:37

by SlientSipper » Apr 17th, '12, 17:37

Leo_Blue wrote:He is Mormon, but it's not a super strict code for some of them. I know some people here that will not even drink herbal tea because it has the word tea in it, and I know others that will buy a cup of coffee on the way home from church (coffee is also part of the things they can't have). This person in particular is training to be a chef and tastes wines and other spirits that are part of recipes he makes (also something they can't have and frowned upon even more than tea or coffee). So in his case it's kind of a pick and choose type thing it seems.
Without giving too much about my opinion of mormonism.
I can say this much.
People have different norms and customs. Don't let their views upset you.

Apr 17th, '12, 21:15

by Leo_Blue » Apr 17th, '12, 21:15

I am not upset about it as much as I am tired of not having a local community of tea drinking friends. But that's why I have TeaChat in the first place.

Apr 20th, '12, 17:14

by entropyembrace » Apr 20th, '12, 17:14

a) they´ve probably never seen marijuana before

b) they´ve probably never seen tea outside of a paper filter bag before

c) isn´t tea taboo for Mormons?

Apr 20th, '12, 18:26

by woozl » Apr 20th, '12, 18:26

Recently back from a trip to Zion canyon.
The TSA had a field day with me.
Long hair and long jing not a good combo :shock:
But I guess the dog cleared me, and they returned my tea :mrgreen:

Apr 20th, '12, 22:05

by entropyembrace » Apr 20th, '12, 22:05

woozl wrote:Recently back from a trip to Zion canyon.
The TSA had a field day with me.
Long hair and long jing not a good combo :shock:
But I guess the dog cleared me, and they returned my tea :mrgreen:
proof dogs are smarter than humans :lol:

Apr 23rd, '12, 14:42

by Leo_Blue » Apr 23rd, '12, 14:42

Yeah, as I said earlier tea is taboo for mormons strictly speaking. Many mormons I know make exceptions or just don't follow the rule, but I guess you can decide whether or not they are "real mormons" based on that. Entropy, I believe your first two points are most likely the main reason all the people I know assume loose leaf tea is marijuana. Just a general lack of knowledge and crazy assumptions.

Apr 23rd, '12, 18:31
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Apr 23rd, '12, 18:31

I can understand it if a Mormon doesn't take tea, alcohol, coffee and tobacco. But indeed it puzzles me that a Mormon would take alcohol but not tea. You know in our house, all them rum, wine and grand marnier are under the food code "herbal tea" :lol:

Apr 25th, '12, 11:57

by Leo_Blue » Apr 25th, '12, 11:57

gingkoseto wrote: You know in our house, all them rum, wine and grand marnier are under the food code "herbal tea" :lol:
I'm coming over for some herbal tea then! :lol:
I did talk to my friend about it yesterday actually and he said he would have no problem drinking tea. So I guess he's not quite as weird as I was making it sound. He is going on a mission for the Mormon church in August though, and he is the first person that I know who is both going on/has gone on a mission and will drink tea. Incidentally he is going to Taiwan on his mission and I am insanely jealous. Sad part is he is unlikely to be able to purchase me tea while he is there.

+ Post Reply