Apr 24th, '12, 23:15

yuuki-cha vs dens. Trying to find a good green tea vendor!

by Cagan » Apr 24th, '12, 23:15

My girlfriend and I got the Dens sampler and loved the Sencha packets. The tea was so much better in quality than the stuff we had gotten from Teavana. I see on this forum that a lot of people buy from yuuki-cha. Is that better than the Den's? We're ready to order more green tea and are just trying to figure out whats really the best. The money isn't an issue (within reason of course) so we really just want to get the best teas we can. Does organic make a difference in taste? Any suggestions would be super helpful. We want to order tea now but I really just want to make sure we're getting the best we can be getting. Thanks!

EDIT: yuuki-cha has something called Shincha. What is that exactly? I know we like sencha but we're open to trying anything. Thanks!

EDIT 2: Looking @ http://www.yuuki-cha.com/organic-sencha is just overwhelming. There are so many different types of sencha and I just have no clue what they all are!

Apr 24th, '12, 23:24

Re: yuuki-cha vs dens. Trying to find a good green tea vendor!

by shinobicha » Apr 24th, '12, 23:24

I have not tried Yuuki-cha, so I cannot speak for them, but I can definitely recommend Den's.

If you read here enough, you will soon find there are many good green tea vendors out there... almost too many to try! (Well, not quite)

Most of them carry Shincha, which, as you've probably read, is the first/new harvest of the year. Many people think it is the best tea of the year, and others may not care for it, or may think it is no better than regular first-flush sencha. (Shincha is typically the first of the first flush teas, and is processed lightly, compared to regular first flush sencha).

Here is a link to Den's Tea shincha page: http://www.denstea.com/b2012-shinchab-c-586.html

There is a difference between organic and non-organic. Personally, I have enjoyed non-organics more, but that is just my personal preference... you will find others who prefer it the other way around. I don't think you can go wrong, though!

Apr 24th, '12, 23:35

by debunix » Apr 24th, '12, 23:35

I've enjoyed senchas from both Dens and Yuuki-cha, as well as from other vendors. One important thing to figure out before you buy a lot of sencha, organic or not, from any supplier is to figure out if you prefer lighter or deeper steamed sencha (asamushi vs fukamushi). I'm a fan of the lighter steamed stuff but I'm in a minority here, as most teaChatters prefer the deeper steamed tea.

The best way to figure out your preferences might be to buy some of each from one supplier, see which you like better, then explore a couple of offerings in that category from several different online sources, buying small quantities of each (sencha quality degrades quickly after the package has been opened--the usual rule is to try to finish each package within 30 days of opening it). This is probably as close as you can get to the tastings conducted here on teaChat that have been so helpful to me in figuring out my own sencha preferences.

Apr 25th, '12, 00:49

by Poohblah » Apr 25th, '12, 00:49

I sent you a pm, Cagan :)

Apr 25th, '12, 00:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Apr 25th, '12, 00:49

debunix wrote:One important thing to figure out before you buy a lot of sencha, organic or not, from any supplier is to figure out if you prefer lighter or deeper steamed sencha (asamushi vs fukamushi). I'm a fan of the lighter steamed stuff but I'm in a minority here, as most teaChatters prefer the deeper steamed tea.

The best way to figure out your preferences might be to buy some of each from one supplier, see which you like better, then explore a couple of offerings in that category from several different online sources, buying small quantities of each
as a fan of light steamed tea as well, my suggestion would be to start with a few samples of light steamed first to get a taste for this kind of sencha before sampling the deeper steamed (and there is also medium steamed sencha to try :) ). and as the new tea of 2012 - shincha- is just being released, it's a perfect time to try that too.
as debunix points out, with all the selections out there, exploring is really the only way to get to know what you like best. i know looking at a vendor's selection can be overwhelming. you may be better off making this a journey, and say, in one year, look back to see what you have bought and liked and disliked and learned and not try to make sense of it all at once.
there are many opinions regarding non-organic vs. organic. you'll find lots of views on TeaChat. if you don't have strong views on this in general, then you will enjoy excellent teas from both kinds.
i didn't really answer your question about which vendor to purchase from, but i hope the suggestions help.

Apr 25th, '12, 01:18
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Apr 25th, '12, 01:18

I am a fan of Yuuki-cha, and I would recommend them for their excellent organic offerings. yes their is a taste difference between organic and non. I myself prefer organic because I don't want to consume any harmful agricultural chemicals or drink tea that has a "forced" flavor. It is hard to describe exactly what the "forced" flavor is, but I recognize it every time, this just comes with experience.
If you wanted to try the three levels of steaming a great place to start would be with these options.

for asamushi= light steam
2012 Organic Kagoshima Shincha Kirishima No Kaori or the available sencha version (this is a personal favorite of mine)

for chumushi = mid steam
2012 Organic Hoshino Shincha or the available sencha version.

for a fukamushi= deep steam
2012 Organic Kagoshima Shincha Magokoro, the sencha version is not available right now.

you may also consider trying a uji style at some point.

these are all teas I have tried and enjoyed very throughly and represent a specific style very well. I am also in the minority here that prefers asamushi.

Apr 25th, '12, 01:42

by Chip » Apr 25th, '12, 01:42

I have had many very good experiences with Den's. In fact, I have had excellent experiences with every specialized vendor of Japanese tea except one.

That was Yuuki-Cha. My horrid experiences with Yuuki-Cha as documented on the forum (too much to rehash here) ...

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 7&start=30

Den's would never conduct themselves in this manner. They are honorable and kind and trustworthy.

Yuuki-Cha on multiple atempts to deal with them acted without honor and were borderline criminal ... not to mention simply rude and crude in their approach.

I do not doubt many have had good experiences with Yuuki-Cha, but my experiences were the very worst I have ever experienced, period.

My fave 5 list of Japanese vendors ... in no particular order.

O-Cha
Maiko
Ippodo
Zencha
Number 5 is a tie between Den's and Hakoniwado

But there are many others worth trying and 95% of them will be better than Teavana.

Apr 25th, '12, 02:07
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Apr 25th, '12, 02:07

debunix wrote:I've enjoyed senchas from both Dens and Yuuki-cha, as well as from other vendors. One important thing to figure out before you buy a lot of sencha, organic or not, from any supplier is to figure out if you prefer lighter or deeper steamed sencha (asamushi vs fukamushi). I'm a fan of the lighter steamed stuff but I'm in a minority here, as most teaChatters prefer the deeper steamed tea.
If you trying out deep steamed/fukamushi sencha, a pot with fine or even extra-fine infuser/infuser screen/mesh filter is highly recommended.

Apr 25th, '12, 02:56

by Tead Off » Apr 25th, '12, 02:56

I'm a regular customer of Yuuki-Cha. As blairwhitaker said, I also like to drink teas that haven't been polluted with chemicals on any level. I've never drank any Den's teas so I can't compare but I've drank plenty of Yuuki-cha's teas. I have my own preferences as to what I like but I encourage you to try their teas. Never had a bad experience with them other than not liking some selections.

Apr 25th, '12, 03:29

by Chip » Apr 25th, '12, 03:29

Of course, "yuuki-cha" (organic tea) can be purchased from many other vendors as well. :idea:

Yuuki-Cha has shown that they can pollute on other levels. Their business practices can be reprehensible. Why reward such behavior when there are so many honorable vendors of Japanese tea?

What very few of you actually know, I had endeavored to help Yuuki-Cha (before they were even Yuuki-Cha) as I have so many other Japanese tea vendors. As always, "my door" is always open to Dan to email me.

Apr 25th, '12, 05:09

by Tead Off » Apr 25th, '12, 05:09

Chip, you certainly know how to carry a grudge. :lol:

Apr 25th, '12, 06:54

by Alex » Apr 25th, '12, 06:54

blairswhitaker wrote:for asamushi= light steam
2012 Organic Kagoshima Shincha Kirishima No Kaori or the available sencha version (this is a personal favorite of mine)
Its funny you mention that one as it was one of the first Asu I tried from Yuuki and I much prefer it too even the more expensive options. IN fact I bought some of that stuff that's $20 and couldnt wait to finish it to buy more of the one you mentioned. Its got a really nice sweet chestnut flavour :mrgreen: .

Apr 25th, '12, 06:57

by Alex » Apr 25th, '12, 06:57

SilentChaos wrote:
debunix wrote:I've enjoyed senchas from both Dens and Yuuki-cha, as well as from other vendors. One important thing to figure out before you buy a lot of sencha, organic or not, from any supplier is to figure out if you prefer lighter or deeper steamed sencha (asamushi vs fukamushi). I'm a fan of the lighter steamed stuff but I'm in a minority here, as most teaChatters prefer the deeper steamed tea.
If you trying out deep steamed/fukamushi sencha, a pot with fine or even extra-fine infuser/infuser screen/mesh filter is highly recommended.

I havent found that that's need myself. I've got a banko tachi (medium ball filter) here and all that's required is a slow gentle pour. It ends up with exactly the same amount of particles in the cup as my finest sasame filter.....plus for some reason I find sencha taste better when pour very slow and gently...don't know why :)

Apr 25th, '12, 06:59

by sherubtse » Apr 25th, '12, 06:59

Besides the advice to try a wide assortment of teas, from numerous vendors, I would also suggest that you take lots of notes. Not only will be this be a great help when you review how you fared with various slections, it will also be of immense use as you attempt to "learn the lingo" of Japanese teas.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 25th, '12, 08:34

by Tead Off » Apr 25th, '12, 08:34

Alex wrote:
blairswhitaker wrote:for asamushi= light steam
Its funny you mention that one as it was one of the first Asu I tried from Yuuki and I much prefer it too even the more expensive options. IN fact I bought some of that stuff that's $20 and couldnt wait to finish it to buy more of the one you mentioned. Its got a really nice sweet chestnut flavour :mrgreen: .
This is also a favorite of mine! Love that in a Banko kyusu. Hmm.

+ Post Reply