Rooibos: Mighty Leaf African Nectar

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Dec 11th, '07, 11:50

Rooibos: Mighty Leaf African Nectar

by yukondoit » Dec 11th, '07, 11:50

I think after many, many rooibos samples, I think that the ultimate best rooibos I have found thus far is Mighty Leaf's African Nectar. Not only is it delicious, not too fruity or flowery, but it's delicious LOOKING. I find rooibos to be somewhat annoying because the leaves are so small but anyone who enjoys rooibos, give this a shot:

http://www.mightyleaf.com/product.aspx? ... egoryID=57

Dec 11th, '07, 13:08

by Mary R » Dec 11th, '07, 13:08

Hm. In the ingredients list they have "natural tropical flavors" and "natural flavors" listed as the first two after rooibos. I'll probably give it a shot someday, though. I'm always on the lookout for crazy rooibos blends.

Dec 11th, '07, 13:10

by yukondoit » Dec 11th, '07, 13:10

Mary R wrote:Hm. In the ingredients list they have "natural tropical flavors" and "natural flavors" listed as the first two after rooibos. I'll probably give it a shot someday, though. I'm always on the lookout for crazy rooibos blends.

It definitely has pieces of stuff in it. They make pretty good tea, and it comes as loose (just bought my second 4 oz. package of it) -- I am honestly not sure of what is in there, as I don't like fruit tea nor flower tea, but it is really delicious. The bags don't come with enough rooibos in them though.
----------------------->
Jessica
author+tea >> tea news, reviews & info
http://authoritea.blogspot.com

Dec 11th, '07, 13:14

by Mary R » Dec 11th, '07, 13:14

The only other ingredients listed are hibiscus flowers, rose petals, mallow blossoms, and marigold flowers. Only the first would really give any flavor, and that will be a tart pucker. Dried rose petals don't give the 'oomph' of a good rose-scented tea and are likely there for color, as are the mallow (blue) and marigold (yellow). Mallow's pretty tasteless, and marigold is slightly spicy when eaten fresh, bland when dried.

It's a very pretty blend, though, and likely quite tasty!

Dec 11th, '07, 13:23

by yukondoit » Dec 11th, '07, 13:23

Mary R wrote:The only other ingredients listed are hibiscus flowers, rose petals, mallow blossoms, and marigold flowers. Only the first would really give any flavor, and that will be a tart pucker. Dried rose petals don't give the 'oomph' of a good rose-scented tea and are likely there for color, as are the mallow (blue) and marigold (yellow). Mallow's pretty tasteless, and marigold is slightly spicy when eaten fresh, bland when dried.

It's a very pretty blend, though, and likely quite tasty!
I actually think that it's supposed to be kind of bland. If it were zesty or super-flavored as fruit or whatever, I wouldn't like it at all. It's very mild. I definitely see the marigold leaves, and can taste that. It seems like a lot of people are putting mallow and marigold in teas. I just bought a bunch of stuff from Mighty Leaf today, and they have a ceylon tea with larkspur and marigold in it, which I've never seen. Rose, I don't taste much, but I used to eat rose preserves as a kid...it'd take a bit of it for me to taste those petals!
----------------------->
Jessica

Dec 13th, '07, 22:05

by twistedinside » Dec 13th, '07, 22:05

I just tried my first cup of rooibos, and it is the Mighty Leaf African Nectar. LOVE it!

Dec 13th, '07, 22:10

by yukondoit » Dec 13th, '07, 22:10

twistedinside wrote:I just tried my first cup of rooibos, and it is the Mighty Leaf African Nectar. LOVE it!

So glad to hear! Can't WAIT for my bag of it to show up in the mail :D
----------------------->
Jessica

+ Post Reply