cooked vs. raw Pu-erh.

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 7th, '12, 16:22

cooked vs. raw Pu-erh.

by wisdom cha » May 7th, '12, 16:22

Hello everyone!
Alot of people say that cooked Pu-erh is more for beginer tea drinkers wheras raw Pu-erh is for the more developed tea addict.
Thats not what I think!
But I have a personal favorite; RAW Pu-erh, mainly becease of its stronger Hou yun (aftertaste) and wider variety of complex flavors.
But not everyone thinks the same, Whats your opinion?

May 9th, '12, 18:46

Re: cooked vs. raw Pu-erh.

by tingjunkie » May 9th, '12, 18:46

A lot of people say... drink what you like, and like what you drink. :wink: It's all good.

May 10th, '12, 01:50

by Leo_Blue » May 10th, '12, 01:50

tingjunkie wrote:A lot of people say... drink what you like, and like what you drink. :wink: It's all good.
+1 to that. I suggest just finding a place to get a couple samples of sheng/raw and shu/cooked pu'erh and just learn what best suits your palate.

May 11th, '12, 19:57

by bagua7 » May 11th, '12, 19:57

wisdom cha wrote:Alot of people say that cooked Pu-erh is more for beginer tea drinkers wheras raw Pu-erh is for the more developed tea addict.
Who are those people? :wink:
wisdom cha wrote:But I have a personal favorite; RAW Pu-erh, mainly becease of its stronger Hou yun (aftertaste) and wider variety of complex flavors.
Definitively if it's older material, I personally dislike young raw because it's too fiery and bitter. Old age brings wisdom and a better Qi. Also :wink:

:mrgreen:

May 14th, '12, 05:35
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 14th, '12, 05:35

bagua7 wrote: wisdom cha wrote:Alot of people say that cooked Pu-erh is more for beginer tea drinkers wheras raw Pu-erh is for the more developed tea addict.

bagua7 wrote:I personally dislike young raw because it's too fiery and bitter

I think you answered your own question :) Most people are put off by sheng because they inevitably try something very young on their first outing. I think that is where the reputation that sheng is for the 'developed tea addict' comes from.

Shou pu is just a lot more accessible to people who are new to tea.

May 14th, '12, 10:55

by gasninja » May 14th, '12, 10:55

I also think that the sheng that is good to drink young is expensive with some exceptions. So when people first try young sheng it generally is of a grade that probably should have some years on it before it is really going to give a good performance.

May 19th, '12, 01:51

by Seeker » May 19th, '12, 01:51

bagua7 wrote:
wisdom cha wrote:Alot of people say that cooked Pu-erh is more for beginer tea drinkers wheras raw Pu-erh is for the more developed tea addict.
wisdom cha wrote:But I have a personal favorite; RAW Pu-erh, mainly becease of its stronger Hou yun (aftertaste) and wider variety of complex flavors.
Definitively if it's older material, I personally dislike young raw because it's too fiery and bitter. Old age brings wisdom and a better Qi. Also :wink:

:mrgreen:
Hazaa! Bingo! Ding, ding, ding!
Ahem, i couldnt agree more.
:oops:

+ Post Reply