A quintessential invention

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

May 11th, '12, 02:32

by MarshalN » May 11th, '12, 02:32

A paper I co-wrote on the adoption of gongfucha as a national tea practice in China in the past forty years, and what it means. Slightly academic, so I hope most of you don't mind.

http://tinyurl.com/735xb75

May 11th, '12, 04:46
Vendor Member

Re: A quintessential invention

by TwoDog2 » May 11th, '12, 04:46

Great Paper, really enjoyed the read. Your paper has some really interesting commentary on how gongfucha was taken from a regional to national level, and has become the "way" to experience tea in China.
...they tend to reify the historical narrative already evident in Chinese books on tea, and present the history of tea as a lineal progression from Lu Yu to the present time.
This has been my experience with many things in Chinese culture, that once something is purported to be a Chinese cultural ( 中国文化 ) or traditional ( 传统 ) thing, that it is accepted as a "this is, always was, and forever will be, CHINESE!"

I like that you re-examined the roots of gongfucha. The history of tea is vast and varied, and ought not be confined to nationalism and ownership. The most interesting things about culture are their evolution and development, which are rarely as linear as those who claim to be their founders would have you believe.

May 12th, '12, 06:49
Vendor Member

Re: A quintessential invention

by TIM » May 12th, '12, 06:49

Superb! Now that's modern history!! Congrats Professor :D

May 12th, '12, 11:14

by debunix » May 12th, '12, 11:14

Very informative, and quite accessible--not intimidatingly academic. And so interesting to see how an "ancient" practice could be also quite "new".

+ Post Reply