Shincha Region Quality and other question

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '12, 02:00

Shincha Region Quality and other question

by shinobicha » May 12th, '12, 02:00

I probably could post this under the 2012 Shincha ordering topic, but I have two questions, and the 2nd one is a bit more broad.

Chip, feel free to move if you think appropriate.

1) for anyone who must have sampled shinchas from several regions by now (I'm thinking of you Kevangogh, or you Xell or Flonihoncha), because you had to choose your own shincha to retail, can you say how the various regions' shincha compares this year?
I read here on TC somewhere that Shizuoka had a particularly good harvest this year... is it true?
Can any TCers who've bought tried shinchas this year chime in?

2) I'm considering ordering Ippodo's shincha, but alongside it, throwing in a couple other things to make the most of the shipping, and I wanted to get some opinions.
Which do you prefer, Houjicha, or Kuki-houjicha? I believe I've read a very positive review of the latter here on TC, but can anyone compare?
And, this is like comparing apples to oranges, but if I were to only choose one, should I go for their Kanro Gyo or the Wakamatsu-no-mukashi? I'd probably go for both, but I think that pushes the shipping to the next threshold...
Never had koicha-quality matcha before, but want to try it someday, and based on reviews, the Wakamatsu seems to have a very good price-to-quality ratio.

Thanks for your input, for those of you who read this far! :shock: :lol:

May 12th, '12, 08:35

Re: Shincha Region Quality and other question

by AdamMY » May 12th, '12, 08:35

While I have yet to try any Shincha this year. I am a huge fan of Ippodo's matcha, and the Wakamatsu is just incredible. Although sadly I can not speak as to the quality of any of the Houjicha's, but their Gyokuro, and Sencha's are very nice, and my favorite casual sipping Sencha is Nichi-getsu. But if you want to go full fledged Shincha, I can understand that you would not want to pick up any Sencha.

May 12th, '12, 17:25

by shinobicha » May 12th, '12, 17:25

AdamMY wrote:While I have yet to try any Shincha this year. I am a huge fan of Ippodo's matcha, and the Wakamatsu is just incredible. Although sadly I can not speak as to the quality of any of the Houjicha's, but their Gyokuro, and Sencha's are very nice, and my favorite casual sipping Sencha is Nichi-getsu. But if you want to go full fledged Shincha, I can understand that you would not want to pick up any Sencha.

Thanks AdamMY...
I am planning on getting at least a 10g sample of the Kaboku, but I may opt for 50g instead, just to try it.

Can anyone else recommend their Kanro? or say if they prefer their gyo or matcha offerings? or which houjicha?

Thanks!

May 13th, '12, 09:00
Vendor Member

by Xell » May 13th, '12, 09:00

Didn't try anything from Ippodo or Shizuoka yet, but i'd go with more stems, i.e. kuki-hojicha, i think stems are essential for good hojicha. Though without photos difficult to tell, how much stems left in their hojicha.

And for matcha definitely try koicha grade, especially if you are sensitive to bitterness in tea, you might enjoy it a lot more.

May 13th, '12, 12:02
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 13th, '12, 12:02

shinobicha wrote:Can anyone else recommend their Kanro? or say if they prefer their gyo or matcha offerings? or which houjicha?
Thanks!
I've got the Kanro open. It's a quality gyo for sure, but the taste is a bit too mellow for me. The kanro doesn't seem to show itself at anything less than 1.5:1 leaf to water ratio. Now, I know why Ippodo's general recommendation for gyo is 3.5:1.

May 14th, '12, 22:44

by shinobicha » May 14th, '12, 22:44

Xell wrote:Didn't try anything from Ippodo or Shizuoka yet, but i'd go with more stems, i.e. kuki-hojicha, i think stems are essential for good hojicha. Though without photos difficult to tell, how much stems left in their hojicha.

And for matcha definitely try koicha grade, especially if you are sensitive to bitterness in tea, you might enjoy it a lot more.
Actually, I like bitterness... it's more, I don't think I want that much bitterness (ie using an usucha quality matcha to make koicha).

I have tried both regular and kuki houjicha, and I like both, so probably, I won't go wrong with either option. Interestingly Ippodo's kuki-houji is less expensive than the one without stems. I don't know exactly why that is, though.

May 14th, '12, 22:46

by shinobicha » May 14th, '12, 22:46

SilentChaos wrote:
shinobicha wrote:Can anyone else recommend their Kanro? or say if they prefer their gyo or matcha offerings? or which houjicha?
Thanks!
I've got the Kanro open. It's a quality gyo for sure, but the taste is a bit too mellow for me. The kanro doesn't seem to show itself at anything less than 1.5:1 leaf to water ratio. Now, I know why Ippodo's general recommendation for gyo is 3.5:1.
Thanks SilentChaos - can you compare the Kanro to another gyokuro (ie from Maiko or Den's)?
My experience with gyokuro is good, but vendor-wise, it's limited (I do intend try to O-cha's some time...)

May 15th, '12, 04:01
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 15th, '12, 04:01

shinobicha wrote:Thanks SilentChaos - can you compare the Kanro to another gyokuro (ie from Maiko or Den's)? My experience with gyokuro is good, but vendor-wise, it's limited (I do intend try to O-cha's some time...)
I've only gotten into high-end gyo less than a year ago, so I'm probably not the best person to comment on this. TC gyo addicts might want to jump in here? :mrgreen: There is also the topic on best place to buy gyo http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=+gyokuro
I could probably tell you about the many horrific gyos I've had from various vendors before though. :P hehe.

Nan-Zen is the only Maiko gyo I had before (none from Den's), and it is hardly fair to compare Nan-Zen with Kanro. However, if you wish to compare Kanro with o-cha offerings, I would IMHO suggest candidates above yame and shou-an.

(My Kanro is disappearing fast. Trying slightly higher temperatures and above 2:1 ratio right now :P.)

+ Post Reply