OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 15:26

OTTI 13 is a "DEDICATED TO ONE VENDOR" OTTI round.

This round will feature 6 premium Shicha offerings from O-Cha, see the list below. Each participant will receive ALL 6 samples, 10 grams each, 60 grams total. If you have already ordered one or more of these shincha, please let me know, and I will see what we can work out.

I hope you can join us for this Shincha OTTI round! It should be exciting and ... tasty!

http://www.o-cha.com/shincha-green-tea/

Asamushi Ujibashi San no Ma (Kirameki) The crown jewel of the O-Cha sencha line-up from Tsuen tea shop! http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/asamushi-sencha.html

Asamushi Aoi A fave asamushi of many. http://www.o-cha.com/Uji-Asamushi-Sencha-aoi.html

Mystery shincha, begins with an "M" and ends with an "i" ... is likely a chumushi from Uji. Cannot say more yet as this one has not been released, yet.

Yutaka Midori, a perennial fave of many! http://www.o-cha.com/Yutaka-Midori.html

Fukamushi Sae Midori, the greenest brew I have ever seen. http://www.o-cha.com/kagoshima-sencha.html

Chiran, YM's lil bro. http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/chiran-green-tea.html

These shincha will be shipped to me via EMS once the "Mystery Shincha" is released on or around May 28th. This will ensure speedy delivery and ultimately the freshest shincha delivered to you.

See the next post for info on how to participate.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 15:35

For general info on how the OTTIs run, please see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16242 The biggest change is if you are interested in participating in this OTTI round, I am asking that you email me on or after 6 pm Eastern USA time today, Wednesday 5/2/12 at teachatmoderator@yahoo.com ... SUBJECT: OTTI 13.
[edit: oops, copied and pasted the wrong date and OTTI round. It is now correct!]

If you email me from your paypal email, that will simplify things, but it is not necessary!

"Dedicated to one vendor" OTTI rounds will be a bit higher in cost, but I feel a great deal anyway. Where else are you going to try 6 (six) premium shincha selections from O-Cha for a couple bucks each? For single vendor OTTI rounds, I have to purchase all the teas in advance (out of my own pocket … at a discount albeit. this is not funded by Adagio nor any other vendor nor entity at this time), so therefore costs are higher this time as I will have to pay for the tea, packaging, and shipping.

To give you an idea of cost, if you could purchase these samples from O-Cha based on their 100 gram price, this would cost you $18.60 plus shipping.

Not complainin', just sayin'! :mrgreen:

In single vendor dedicated rounds, teas are purchased (at a discount albeit) versus OTTI rounds that are up to 5 vendors who have to this point donated teas for the tasting.

Of course, packaging and shipping costs are included in the costs below based on destination.

Total Cost in USD (shipping is included):

USA $15
Canada/North America $16
Europe/South America $17
Asia/Australia $18
Other please inquire (I guess that leaves penguins of Antartica and for any extraterrestrials out there wanting to participate)

These costs are just that, costs. There is only about 1 USD leftover per participant after estimated expenses to cover any "surprises" in shipping, etc. Any surplus will roll over into the OTTI fund. Surplus at the end of the year will go towards charity, possibly the TC Japan Relief Fund which has raised over $1300 for this effort.

Email your interest to teachatmoderator@yahoo.com including your:

TeaChat User Name
Your name
Mailing address formatted exactly as it would appear on a package or letter addressed to you.
Country
If outside of USA, your phone number is recommended for customs forms!
Paypal email address
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 15:38

EDIT June 15 2012. Though this is not a blind tasting, you can still approach it that way. You can simply turn the pouches over. Discussion will be open!

The key is simple this time.

Y (or YM) is Yutaka Midori
M is Miyabi
A is Aoi
K is Kirameki
C is Chiran
S is Sae Midori

SPECIAL NOTE. This is a "dedicated to one vendor" OTTI round, and therefore discussion in this topic will be open, names, etc. So, if you want to taste blind, please do so, but be aware and beware, there will be full disclosure in this topic. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 15:39

EDIT June 15 2012: Brewing suggestions. This is intended to be a guide, you can adjust to taste! :mrgreen:

Every so often, I find that I personally need to "mix things up a bit." Not sure exactly why, but simply brewing the same way for an extended period of time does not bring the same level of enjoyment. Perhaps I get used to my results.

Brewing differently does bring different elements to the tasting.

Temperature: This Shincha season, I am NOT preheating the kyusu (and yeah, I miss the great aroma of the dry leaves warming in the kyusu) :( but I am giving the leaves hotter water as a result. So, instead of brewing at 158-160* (70* C) as I would for most shincha in a preheated kyusu, I brew hotter, 168-176* (75-80* C). I have mostly been brewing right at 170* however I have brewed cooler with interesting results as well.

Soooo ... this presents you with the same options. You can preheat or you you cannot. Your choice. They do produce different results.

These shincha are pretty forgiving, a sign of good pedigre!

How much leaf to water: You can go high or low on the ratio to taste. I would recommend from .75 -1.25 grams leaf per 1 ounce water (30 ml). You can go higher still and brew shorter, but this range is pretty standard given normal brew times. For example, a 5 ounce steep at 1:1 ratio, you would need 5 grams, exactly 1/2 of your 10 gram sample per 5 ounces (150 ml) water.

Time. Yutaka Midori, Sae Midori, and Chiran 40 seconds to a minute. Miyabi a minute. Aoi and Kirameki 60-90 seconds. Chiran is a little less forgiving IMHO.

You should think your strategy for brewing ahead of time.

All these will yield multiple infusions. Second steep, around 160-165* (71-74* C) for flash to 30 seconds. 3rd, a bit hotter and 60 seconds. For sweet teawater infusions 4-6, keep going hotter and longer.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Re: OTTI Rating System, tasting helps

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 15:41

OTTI Rating System!

Please follow this so we are all on the same page regarding ratings. Thanks. This is also located in the first several posts of this topic for convenience. If you feel a tea is more like a 4.5 or whatever, go for it! :mrgreen:

5 Outstanding, excellent
4.5 Very good
4 Good
3 Fair, mediocre
2 Not good
1 Poor

When tasting, remember to use all your senses! You can rate a tea by each sense and then cumulative experience. Or simply overall ... however involved you want to be!

Sight- how does the dry leaf look, color, the brew, the wet leaf?
Touch-how does the tea feel ... astringency
Hearing-hard to rate a tea based on hearing, but it is part of the experience nevertheless :mrgreen:
Smell-some feel this is as important as taste! I am one of these. The dry leaf aroma, the dry leaf as it warms in your kyusu, the brew aroma, the wet leaf aroma. eh hem, clear your nose before doing a tasting!!! You will be rewarded.
Taste-your sense of smell dictates much of your taste perception, try and differentiate. Basic tastes include sweet, bitter, sour, umami, salt.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 15:42

OK, (after 6 pm Eastern USA time today) please feel free to post, ask questions ... and ultimately post comments on these your Kagoshima selections!

I hope you can join us for this OTTI 13 and will ultimately enjoy this OTTI round!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 16:35

... locked til 6 pm Eastern USA time ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 17:56

3 minutes to go ...

Remember, "seating" is limited!

... and thank you for supporting "your" OTTI program :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 18:01

And OTTI 13, an O-Cha Shincha tasting is now live.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 18:05

I have been asked if "doubling" is permitted for anyone wanting 20 grams of each tea. Yes, as long as there is ample for anyone interested in participating in this round.

I don't think this will be a problem ...

If you want to double up, please indicate this in your email. I think I can knock off $1 total. Sorry, I cannot reduce cost more as this is really tight.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby edkrueger » May 23rd, '12, 18:12

Chip wrote:Other please inquire (I guess that leaves penguins of Antartica and for any extraterrestrials out there wanting to participate)

Africa?
edkrueger

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 18:20

edkrueger wrote:
Chip wrote:Other please inquire (I guess that leaves penguins of Antartica and for any extraterrestrials out there wanting to participate)

Africa?

... hopefully nobody from Madagascar signs up, that would be pretty expensive. Although, I would not mind hand delivering that one!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby edkrueger » May 23rd, '12, 18:31

That might be a fun trip.
edkrueger

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 18:36

edkrueger wrote:That might be a fun trip.

But remember to bring your own tea!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '12, 18:47

BTW, questions and comments on this OTTI round are welcome as always!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions