You Got Me!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 24th, '12, 20:11

You Got Me!

by Tennessee Dave » May 24th, '12, 20:11

I have been bitten by the Pu-erh bug after a few weeks of enjoying some very good oolongs and some very good blacks. I ordered a raw sampler that includes 2000 and 2003 Yong Pin Hao Yi Wu Zheng Shan Stone-pressed and a 2003 Yong Pin Hao Man Zhuan Mountain Wild Arbor. I also order a 2010 Dayi Cong Tuo ripe for comparison. I have read as much as I can find on the internet regarding pu-erh and still have some questions. I understand that young raw pu-erh is very bitter. Can someone please tell me what is the minimum age that you can enjoy these teas?

May 24th, '12, 20:24

Re: You Got Me!

by debunix » May 24th, '12, 20:24

I've had some young sheng puerh that I enjoyed the same year as it was harvested, despite being bitter-phobic.

How long it takes for them to age to enjoyable depends on how you brew them and your taste preference. Very very short infusions can make even fairly aggressive young shengs delightful to me, in part because I enjoy my tea when it is quite dilute. The long and concentrated infusions preferred by those who want their tea to look like expresso will make such a powerful young sheng unbearably bitter.

So....one tea, two very different experiences of drinking it.

How do you like your tea?

May 24th, '12, 20:32

Re: You Got Me!

by Tennessee Dave » May 24th, '12, 20:32

debunix I love my oolongs and I usually do 6 or 7 short infusions in a 150ml yixing pot so I would have to say I like my tea somewhat subtle as well. Thanks for the information.

+ Post Reply