Pu er storage in attic

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Pu er storage in attic

Postby HifideliTea » May 28th, '12, 12:06

Hi all, latest photos of the status of the attic. Installed roof ventilator, solar film 2 windows, added racking and plan to hang the bings on the racks. I've also lined some of the walls with camphor woods as well.
It's an improvement, it's less hotter and less humid. Except that when it gets really really hot (when it records 29 Degree C), the humidity dips to below 30%! Here in Singapore. I guess it will be hotter up in the attic - these readings are taken 10ft down.
I am thinking of cool roofing the attic and replacing glass windows with glass bricks. Will instal an access ladder as well.

My $ now goes to improvement of the attic area. .... Unfortunately it did not stop me from spending on 2X 1kg bings just yesterday, a 2003 Menghai Tea Factory golden bud ancient tea.

I am also vacuum packing some older teas. Don't know if it makes any sense at all.....am doing A-B test with one vacuum packed and another in normal conditions.

Thanks for watching.

25C 70%.jpg
25 degree C and 70% humidity
25C 70%.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 334 times

Work in progress roof ventilator.jpg
Roof ventilator
Work in progress roof ventilator.jpg (28.35 KiB) Viewed 334 times

Camphor woods.jpg
Camphor planks
Camphor woods.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 334 times
HifideliTea

Postby HifideliTea » May 28th, '12, 12:12

More pics...

Hanging bings.jpg
Hanging bings
Hanging bings.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Need to sort these out.jpg
Need to sort these out soon
Need to sort these out.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Need more space!.jpg
This corner has too much tea and too little space to breath!
Need more space!.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 333 times
HifideliTea

Postby Drax » May 28th, '12, 13:38

Wow, that's a lot of great work, KC, thanks for sharing. It looks great! (and I'm not sure one can ever really say "too much tea" :lol: ).

The camphor planks is an interesting idea! Where did you get those...?
Drax

Postby gingkoseto » May 28th, '12, 14:43

That's a seriously constructed storage place! :D
I saw the caption of your last photo says "this corner has too little space to breath". Maybe that's not something to worry about after all. Some people believe there should be a minimum amount of tea per cubic meter in storage, as low density in storage might be more of a problem than high density storage. So I think your dense corner is probably just good. :D

I love your tea jars, and I know I'm not the only one ranting on this - how nice it is to have big tea jars sold locally!! :o
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby HifideliTea » May 29th, '12, 07:45

The camphor woods were purchased in China in large planks. There are also those from old trees and they smell better from the newer ones, but is very costly.
The large Yixing jars were also purchased in China - thank goodness none of it was damaged during the shipment.

One tea merchant often tell me - keep your teas in a habitable human environment, neither too hot or too cold, nor too dry or too humid; and the teas will turn out right. And the attic area smells of tea, just heavenly!

On the subject of vacuum pack, there is another theory from another tea merchant that the old tea merchants from the tea horse trail days produced bings that was compressed so tight so as to remove the air and keep it's characteristics. My vacuum pack is only for selected old teas that i fear will lose it's flavor over time.

Both were nutritionists.
HifideliTea

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions