Asian cuisine recipes

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

May 26th, '12, 15:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Asian cuisine recipes

by Drax » May 26th, '12, 15:12

I visited an Asian supermarket close to me today, and as usual, I was overwhelmed by the massive variety of stuff they stock on the shelves. I picked up a few items that I knew how to use (fish balls, kelp), but I thought it might be fun to start a recipe thread on this forum for Asian-related cuisine.

The idea here would be to share full recipes with instructions in a shame-free environment (in other words, please don't mock other people for their taste in food).

So, anybody got anything interesting? :D

May 27th, '12, 15:56

Re: Asian cuisine recipes

by Drax » May 27th, '12, 15:56

All right, I suppose that since I started the topic, I could post one my (few!) recipes...

I tried this one for making Pho awhile back. It turned out surprisingly well!

Ingredients:
3 lb oxtail (or 5lb knuckle bones -- I used the oxtail)
2 gal water
4 inches of ginger
2 onion
1/2 cp nuoc nam (fish sauce)
10 whole star anise
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
4 bay leaves
rice noodles (and fixings as desired)

Directions:
Place oxtails in large stock pot (i.e., 10 gallon pot) with water. Bring to full boil, then simmer. Scrape off the scum and discard.

Peel ginger, peel and halve the onions. Place both on a tray and broil for 20 minutes (flip halfway... do not let burn). Cool slightly.

Put star anise, cloves, cinnamon in a cheesecloth and tie.

Add this spice pack, the onion, ginger, and bay leaves and fish sauce to the stock. Simmer for 5-6 hours.

Remove spice pack, onion, ginger, bay, and discard.

Remove oxtails and cool -- remove the meat and trim off the fat. Set aside the meat.

Return bones to broth and simmer for 1-2 hours to taste.

Fix noodles and rest as desired. The broth freezes well for using later!

May 27th, '12, 17:55

by JBaymore » May 27th, '12, 17:55

Here is where I post mine....makes this kind of thread easy :wink: . If / when I add more...... this is where they will show up. Enjoy.

http://www.johnbaymore.com/page66.html

Made I yakitori tonight for dinner.

Prepared sticks...... chicken breast and Vidallia onion or mushrooms:
Baymore-YakitoriGrilling2.jpg
Baymore-YakitoriGrilling2.jpg (22.87 KiB) Viewed 3647 times

Grilling on the little Japanese yakitori grill:
Baymore-YakitoriGrilling1.jpg
Baymore-YakitoriGrilling1.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 3647 times

Sauce for the yakitori:

http://www.johnbaymore.com/page131.html

best,

...............john

May 27th, '12, 18:47
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » May 27th, '12, 18:47

Drax wrote:All right, I suppose that since I started the topic, I could post one my (few!) recipes...

I tried this one for making Pho awhile back. It turned out surprisingly well!

Ingredients:
3 lb oxtail (or 5lb knuckle bones -- I used the oxtail)
I make similar soup with pork neck bones :D but with fewer spices. But interestingly usually my pork neck bones are from regular supermarkets as its cheaper and fresher there. The first time I found it in our local supermarket for 99 cents per pound, I was thrilled :D Our local Asian grocery has it less fresh and more expensive. I guess it's because they "import" it from Boston, and a lot of visitors in Asian grocery want it. :P

May 27th, '12, 19:17

by Drax » May 27th, '12, 19:17

Ah, great recipe lists, John, thanks for sharing! The yakitori looks wonderful! I notice you have a dashi recipe... I should try that sometime (I currently use the 'starter' that comes in a packet...!).

And the neck bones are a great idea, gingko... much cheaper than ox tail, that's for sure. :lol: I guess I'm pretty fortunate with the local Asian market -- I wouldn't be surprised if they slaughtered their own pigs and chickens in the back. If not, they're getting it from somewhere quite local (and the seafood is always... uh, frighteningly fresh :D ).

That's one of the reasons that I was curious about getting various recipes from folk... they sell a lot of great stuff, I just don't know what to do with it! (bamboo stalks, kelp, jellyfish (okay, not so keen on that one, I've had it before), tons of frozen seafood including thousands of those little tiny fish, etc, etc...)

May 31st, '12, 16:17

by brandon » May 31st, '12, 16:17

Breakfast porridge - left over short grain rice, cooked
Dashi to cover plus a little, simmer to heat rice and thicken a bit.
Top with dried anchovies/sardines, diced umeboshi, shiso chiffonade, nori sauce*

*paste made by dissolving 1 full (two half) sheets of nori in 1/4 cup water, 1 splash sake, 1 splash shoyu over low heat.

May 31st, '12, 16:22

by brandon » May 31st, '12, 16:22

Momo (Chicken leg) Yakitori with classic Tare sauce.

Sauce:
After separating bones from the meat, brown the bones and any leftover meat/skin under the broiler for 5 minutes. Boil them in sake, shoyu, mirin, brown sugar, water. Reduce to a thick BBQ sauce consistency. Will post measurements later.

May 31st, '12, 17:08

by wyardley » May 31st, '12, 17:08

Home Style Tofu (家常豆腐) -- from Fuchsia Dunlop's method (originally from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook), but with chopped shitake instead of pork.
542161_10150841940041733_1410341122_n.jpg
542161_10150841940041733_1410341122_n.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
If you're interested in cooking Chinese cuisine and don't have much experience with it, I'd really suggest picking up her newest cookbook, Every Grain of Rice. The book contains a lot of home-cooking style recipes from all across the southern parts of China (Sichuan, Hunan, Zhejiang, Guangdong, Fujian, etc.), and also has some great illustrations, a helpful glossary with a visual guide to ingredients and cutting techniques, etc. The North American edition should be out soon, but if you are really in a hurry, you can order the UK edition from 'The Book Depositor' (free / quick shipping).

Jun 4th, '12, 13:45

by brandon » Jun 4th, '12, 13:45

Ordered her new book, thanks W.

Jun 9th, '12, 22:32

by zencha » Jun 9th, '12, 22:32

A couple of Japanese cuisine blogs

The Japanese Food Report:
http://www.japanesefoodreport.com/

Cooking Japanese Food at Home :