2012 Official Shincha Review Topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 24th, '12, 11:06
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Review Topic

by Chip » May 24th, '12, 11:06

Jack_teachat wrote:
Jack_teachat wrote:
Short Steeps
5s,0s,0s,5s,10s... etc.
Will probably up this a little on my next session, still in Chinese Gong Fu mode somewhat! :lol:
:mrgreen: Really, only 5 seconds for the first steep of O-Cha YM? I had been going up to a minute ... I think you will find deeper flavors, etc.

May 24th, '12, 13:41

by tortoise » May 24th, '12, 13:41

Just received my ippodo order and enjoyed a two steep session with their 2012 shincha.

It's really nice, as it was last year. I'm going to skip all the flavor adjectives and simply state that this, and nearly all of their offerings really, is all about structure. The needles are long, firm, and almost completely unbroken. The taste is lovely asa-mushi that is consistent and fully present with a light and satisfying aroma. I find it quite stimulating as well.

I don't know that ippodo needs my endorsement, but I will offer it here nonetheless. Their 2012 Shincha is a fine thing.

May 24th, '12, 15:37

by Jack_teachat » May 24th, '12, 15:37

Chip wrote:
Jack_teachat wrote:
Jack_teachat wrote:
Short Steeps
5s,0s,0s,5s,10s... etc.
Will probably up this a little on my next session, still in Chinese Gong Fu mode somewhat! :lol:
:mrgreen: Really, only 5 seconds for the first steep of O-Cha YM? I had been going up to a minute ... I think you will find deeper flavors, etc.
Well it's more like 15 secs I guess, 5 secs with about 10 secs of pouring time. I'll gradually push it up and see what happens :D

May 25th, '12, 12:46

by minor_glitch » May 25th, '12, 12:46

I know I can't post a review since I'm new, so instead here are a few photos I took of O-cha's Yutaka Midori.
Enjoy!

Nice packaging. The photo doesn't do the shiny pattern justice though!

Excuse the camera reflection.

The leaves after having all the deliciousness sucked out of them.

May 28th, '12, 12:11

by Peacock » May 28th, '12, 12:11

Nice photos minor_glitch. Chiran shincha this morning. It tastes more complex after the first day, and I also upped the temperature to 165 instead of 160 for 45 seconds. Deliciousss!! :D

May 31st, '12, 14:35

by shinobicha » May 31st, '12, 14:35

So far, I've tried:
Denshiro Shoten: Hashiri Shincha, Houryoku
Maiko: Kinari

I still have 3 more to try (DS: Kunpu, Ippodo's Shincha, and O-cha's YM).

So far the Kinari beats Hashiri; though they are a little hard to directly compare since they aren't the same product, Kinari has an amazing price-to-quality ratio. Thanks to iannon for the recommendations he always posts.

The Houryoku is also very good; can't really compare to the other two asamushis, but I will have to see whether I prefer it to YM or vice-versa.

May 31st, '12, 17:48

by Lerxst2112 » May 31st, '12, 17:48

Kinari and Yutaka Midori from Maiko. Ridiculously awesome. Am very thankful for having some gifted to me. :mrgreen:

May 31st, '12, 18:53

by iannon » May 31st, '12, 18:53

shinobicha wrote:So far, I've tried:
Denshiro Shoten: Hashiri Shincha, Houryoku
Maiko: Kinari

I still have 3 more to try (DS: Kunpu, Ippodo's Shincha, and O-cha's YM).

So far the Kinari beats Hashiri; though they are a little hard to directly compare since they aren't the same product, Kinari has an amazing price-to-quality ratio. Thanks to iannon for the recommendations he always posts.

The Houryoku is also very good; can't really compare to the other two asamushis, but I will have to see whether I prefer it to YM or vice-versa.
Glad you like the Kinari. for me its been especially consistent the past couple years. I am going to enjoy some tonight myself!

Jun 1st, '12, 09:15

by Stentor » Jun 1st, '12, 09:15

I've been enjoying the Kinari as well. Very savory and refreshing.

When I first opened the bag, it was very fresh and grassy, now it's got more umami and sweetness, which I prefer.
I think I've also been brewing it stronger and stronger (>1 g per oz) and it seems to benefit from it. Besides that, my Brita required a new filter on the day I got the Kinari. Tea always seems to be a bit flat with a new filter, at least for the first couple of days.
The filter is probably in its prime right now and the tea is delicious!

The Kinari doesn't remind me of any of their other regular sencha offerings, though. it has definitely got its own thing going on.

Jun 1st, '12, 10:01

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Jun 1st, '12, 10:01

I just opened a bag of Kinari last night (thanks to iannon for the recommendation). Anybody have any parameters on this?
I did:
5g to 4-5oz at 160 for 60sec
then 165 for 30sec
then 170 for 60
etc.
It was nice, I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering how others are brewing this.

Jun 1st, '12, 10:14

by sherubtse » Jun 1st, '12, 10:14

I opened my bag this morning. Nice aroma, though not as lush as I has expected. Beautiful green colour to the leaves, though, which are well-shaped.

I also would be interested to learn, like Buzz Fledderjohn, how others are brewing this sencha.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 1st, '12, 14:53

by Stentor » Jun 1st, '12, 14:53

Buzz fledderjoh... wrote:I just opened a bag of Kinari last night (thanks to iannon for the recommendation). Anybody have any parameters on this?
I did:
then 165 for 30sec
then 170 for 60
etc.
It was nice, I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering how others are brewing this.
This is similar to what I'm doing, except I'm doing 90 seconds for the first.

After pouring, I let the tea sit for about a minute until the liquor is not transparent anymore. It'll be vibrant yellow-greenish color that you won't be able to see through. I think this step actually improves the flavor. I used to just start sipping right away but this really seems to do something beneficial.
I've noticed it with other Uji sencha as well.

Second and onwards I do way shorter than you. I do like 5 seconds for the second, 15-30 (at the most) for the third.

The first infusion will be the best, as is the case with all Uji sencha in my opinion.

You can also start out with 167° F for the first infusion, but if you're going to use 5 oz of water, I'd probably go lower since it is going to stay hotter for longer. I haven't done many 5 oz sessions with it so maybe you even want to go slightly lower than 160° F.

For your next session, I'd suggest you try 90 seconds and letting the tea sit in the cup until you can't see through that beautiful glowing yellow color.
Hope this helps!

EDIT: I just wanted to add this: I've mostly been doing either 4 oz at 4+ g or 2 oz at 2+ g (The same ratio doesn't always yield the same result. Sometimes the absolute amounts matter.)

Jun 2nd, '12, 18:46
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jun 2nd, '12, 18:46

Kagoshima Shimofuri 2012 by Yuuki-cha

steam: kyomushi

varital: yabukita

Dry leaf appearance: slightly course shaped needles and broken bits of tea, dark green mixed with bit of light green stems, slightly higher than average stem to leaf ratio.

Dry leaf Scent: sweet and brothy

brewing 1oz/1grm
water: crystal geyser, heated in a tetsubin.
brewed in a tokoname pot by gyoko

steep # 1: 70c/1min
color: golden green very slightly cloudy with some fine tea particles.
aroma: rich, briny, sweet.
flavor: sweet and savory, very upfront richness.

steep # 2: 70c/10sec
color: vivid green, slightly more cloudy no quite fukamushi cloudy.
aroma: rich, more hearty
flavor: thicker, more umami, still very sweet, fine yabukita robustness coming forward. beautiful mouthfeel. rich and satisfying, finish is sweet and savory, attack is very rounded and mild.

steep # 3: 70/1min
color: similar to first infusion
aroma: slightly diminished from second infusion.
flavor: profile has thinned out, still a good amount of flavor coming from the amino acids. fresh and grassy finish on this steep.

Overall Impression:
very pure and sweet. Rich with an approachable robustness and hearty qualities of yabukita. the kyomushi steaming is very interesting brings out a sweetness without over powering some of the more mild aspects of the flavor profile. very low astringency with this tea.
definitely recommend!
Last edited by blairswhitaker on Jun 2nd, '12, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 2nd, '12, 19:03

by Lerxst2112 » Jun 2nd, '12, 19:03

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:I just opened a bag of Kinari last night (thanks to iannon for the recommendation). Anybody have any parameters on this?
I did:
then 165 for 30sec
then 170 for 60
etc.
My parameters are very unconventional, as I typically brew on the mild side. 5.5g for 120mL Lower temps (157-160) and slightly shorter infusions (45, 30s, etc) This brought out a nice sweet note, especially on the breath. Guess I'm a wuss.... :lol:

Jun 2nd, '12, 19:06
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jun 2nd, '12, 19:06

Kumamoto yabe supreme 2012 by Yuuki-cha

steam: chumushi

varital: saemidori

Dry leaf appearance: Chunky bits of leaf, classic chumushi steam, very dark green shinny and some small amounts of light green colored stems throughout

Dry leaf Scent: sweet and nutty, strong aroma, extremely fresh and sweet forest like smell.

brewing 1oz/1grm
water: crystal geyser, heated in a tetsubin.
brewed in a tokoname pot by gyoko

steep # 1: 70c/1min
color: a rather clear golden green
aroma: sweet and nutty, true to leaf aroma.
flavor: nutty and sweet, light on umami, the attack is very sweet, almost like a sweet pistachio, very vivid chi. thick profile in the mouth very long lasting finish.

steep # 2: 70c/10sec
color: vivid green, slightly more cloudy
aroma: same as 1st
flavor:a sweetness and a nuttiness, more rich than first infusion and added amount of umami, also something akin to a honeyed flora affect. very aroma friendly. plays well on the nose., long finish on the back of palate, superb balance of sweet, floral, nutty, umami and astringent and bitterness. this could be pushed harder with hotter water to bring out a nutty flavor with more astringency and maybe a slight toasty note

steep # 3: 70/1min
color:slightly darker than 1st but no as cloud as 2nd
aroma: fresh, crisp and sweet
flavor: the nutty pistachio flavor really comes forward on this steep and an increased presence of grassiness in the finish. no cloying just a fresh clean and sweet taste.

Overall Impression:
well crafted saemidori, great flavor profile, excellent finish that lingers but doesn't cloy. nice balance to this tea, highly recommended if you want to understand the "sweet and nutty" flavor profile.

*side note- hit this with near boiling water on my 4th infusion and it was still a great cup, no bitterness developed and the taste was still full and complex. no "fishy" flavor as can sometimes occur with sencha when it is in the 4th and 5th rounds and using hotter water.
Last edited by blairswhitaker on Jun 2nd, '12, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply