2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 31st, '12, 13:02
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chip » May 31st, '12, 13:02

Chip wrote:I plan to be ordering from (selections TBD):

O-Cha
Maiko
Ippodo
Zencha
Den's
Hakioniwado
Rishi

Possibly ...

Ryi Mei
Hibiki-an
Sugimoto-usa
Greentea-Japan
Kaburagien
others TBD (and I am open to suggestions)

Some of these will be in the form of tastings (such as OTTI) ... a lot is still up in the air at the moment for me personally.

I typically shoot for 20 shincha, maybe I will surpass this this year. 2011 was a tough year, so a "new dawn for Japanese tea" is my theme for 2012!!!
After being devoid of Shincha here since running out of the new shincha YM from O-Cha, finally shincha arrived today. Likely the first of a bunch that will arrive here in the next several days. Really will be going from drought to flood! :mrgreen:

I have ordered from so far ...

O-Cha 6 shincha
Den's 1 shincha
Hakonawado 4ish shincha
Maiko 2 shincha
Hibiki-An 3 shincha

That is 16 shincha selections so far. Still hope to eclipse the 20 mark, my annual target.

I actually tried to order from Kaburagien, but got frustrated and did not.

Likely candidates are Zencha, Ippodo, Sugimoto, Greentea-Japan ... etc.

May 31st, '12, 13:49

by sherubtse » May 31st, '12, 13:49

Interesting list, Chip.

Which ones did you order from Maiko & Hibiki-an?

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

May 31st, '12, 14:30

by shinobicha » May 31st, '12, 14:30

That is 16 shincha selections so far. Still hope to eclipse the 20 mark, my annual target.

Chip,

You've got to give Thes du Japon a try! http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... anguage=en
I've only ordered once from them, but it's a shame, considering I was impressed with every single tea that I ordered. They have 5 shinchas (I think) available right now, with many others as well.

May 31st, '12, 15:11
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » May 31st, '12, 15:11

Alex wrote:2012 Organic Kagoshima Shincha Kirishima Kanayamidori

"We regret to say that this year's Kanayamidori was not a success, so this tea will not be available this year. "

Ugghhh! I hear you this was the tea that was holding up my order, but the good folks at YC were very helpful and did some nice things to ease my pain...

will be looking forward to
Kumamoto Shincha Yabe Supreme
Miyazaki Tokujo Kamairicha
Kagoshima Shincha Shimofuri
Kagoshima Shincha Saemidori
Kagoshima Shincha Kirishima No Kaori

May 31st, '12, 19:04

by Chip » May 31st, '12, 19:04

sherubtse wrote:Interesting list, Chip.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
I will try to do a complete list tonight. Heading to Vegas for the World Tea Expo well before the sun rises here ... but will endeavor to squeeze it in! :mrgreen:
shinobicha wrote:

Chip,

You've got to give Thes du Japon a try! http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... anguage=en
I've only ordered once from them, but it's a shame, considering I was impressed with every single tea that I ordered. They have 5 shinchas (I think) available right now, with many others as well.
They have been on my more distant radar ... I will give them a closer look. I truly enjoy trying new vendors and teas!

May 31st, '12, 19:31

by sherubtse » May 31st, '12, 19:31

shinobicha wrote: Chip,

I had tried to place an order some time ago. But the encryption on their site was less than complete. And when I went to check out, I think I was charged *tax* for some odd reason. :shock:

Haven't been back since, though their teas do get good reviews.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 1st, '12, 15:22

by Alex » Jun 1st, '12, 15:22

blairswhitaker wrote:
Kagoshima Shincha Saemidori
Just got some today. Very laid back tea. Seems you can do what you like with it and always get a great cup. I'm finding it good for 4 brews as well which is really unusual for me (normally 2-3). I was without any tea for 4 days though so it may just be the joy of getting my Sencha fix :mrgreen:

It just seems very forgiving. Going to push the boundaries with the amount of leaf tonight (using more and more)

The smell that's left in the bottom of the cup after drinking is like walking in to a candy shop....its almost sickly sweet smelling and I love it!

Jun 7th, '12, 23:19

by Chip » Jun 7th, '12, 23:19

Well, WTE has sent me well over the 20 shincha order goal! Though some I did not actually order, but may have also received a sample and/or tasted ...

Known total so far, 29! woo ... wee!!!

From at least 7 vendors! From at least 6 prefectures including Shizuoka which as I have mentioned is officially back on the TeaMenu ... and it is bangin'!!!

Might add MORE!

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Sorry, I completely forgot to post a compiliation as I said I would.

Maiko:
Kinari (of course)
Shincha Sencha

O-Cha: the 6 in OTTI ...
Miyabi
Aoi
Kirameki
SM
YM
Chiran

Den's:
Kunpu
Hashiri
Houryoku

Hakoniwado: OTTI 14 coming up ...
Yame sencha chumushi
Yame fukamushi sencha
Yame fukamushi kabusecha
Yame 88nights

Sugimoto:
Temomicha!
And not sure which selection ... they gave me a nice gift box that is in all Japanese but might be 88 nights or Hashiri

Sara's Tea Caddie ... LOTS! :mrgreen:
Tenryu
Asanoka
SM
Homare
Tenjo
Shirakawa
Asatsuya
Kuritasawa
Shizuoka Grade 1 Kawane
O_O
Look for news on Sara's TeaCaddie from me very soon! Sara only retails a few Japanese teas, but .......... well, keep your ear to the TeaChats! :mrgreen: :wink: :idea:

Hibiki-an:
Traditional
Pinnacle (first time ever)
Super Premium (possibly first time ever for this shincha)

Aiya ... not sure if these are shincha so they will remain off this list for the moment.

Jun 8th, '12, 07:09

by sherubtse » Jun 8th, '12, 07:09

Chip wrote:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Sorry, I completely forgot to post a compiliation as I said I would.

Maiko:
Kinari (of course)
Shincha Sencha

O-Cha: the 6 in OTTI ...
Miyabi
Aoi
Kirameki
SM
YM
Chiran

Den's:
Kunpu
Hashiri
Houryoku

Hakoniwado: OTTI 14 coming up ...
Yame sencha chumushi
Yame fukamushi sencha
Yame fukamushi kabusecha
Yame 88nights

Sugimoto:
Temomicha!
And not sure which selection ... they gave me a nice gift box that is in all Japanese but might be 88 nights or Hashiri

Sara's Tea Caddie ... LOTS! :mrgreen:
Tenryu
Asanoka
SM
Homare
Tenjo
Shirakawa
Asatsuya
Kuritasawa
Shizuoka Grade 1 Kawane
O_O
Look for news on Sara's TeaCaddie from me very soon! Sara only retails a few Japanese teas, but .......... well, keep your ear to the TeaChats! :mrgreen: :wink: :idea:

Hibiki-an:
Traditional
Pinnacle (first time ever)
Super Premium (possibly first time ever for this shincha)

Aiya ... not sure if these are shincha so they will remain off this list for the moment.
Many thanks for the list, Chip. Some interesting choices, to be sure.

Looking foward to more info (much more) on "Sara's TeaCaddie ". :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 13th, '12, 23:38

by robbie_olive » Jun 13th, '12, 23:38

Shincha ordered from Zencha.net hasn't come!

I ordered and paid for 3 packets of Shincha from zencha.net (Yame Shincha the Ultimate, Kagoshima YM & YM Premium) on the 23 May.

They told me in an email that it will take about 7-10 days to arrive, plus it could be delayed due to Customs (which in Australia it seems they always love to put it thru quarantine before it's sent to the post office.) They also informed me that because they're coming straight from the manufacturer, that there will be 2 separate packages.

I am STILL yet to receive my shincha, even though it has been 3 weeks since I ordered it. Should I be worried; should I wait another few days or should I email zencha.net straightaway?

I'm a little annoyed that zencha.net don't provide an EMS option for tea shipments, whereas other online stores do.

Cheers,
Robbie

Jun 13th, '12, 23:56

by Peacock » Jun 13th, '12, 23:56

I don't remember how long shipping was from Zencha, but I know that the tea I ordered from Maiko took about a month. Then again it might of been SAL instead of regular air mail. And I live on the West Coast so it would usually get here quite fast.

Jun 14th, '12, 00:20

by Chip » Jun 14th, '12, 00:20

... hm, you should order OTTI 14 Shincha Hakoniwado! :mrgreen:

It is very frustrating being in this position. Unless you go EMS, anything can happen. It is not getting better, but often seems worse. 3 weeks used to be the line drawn in the sand, if it did not arrive by then, it likely never would. However, I think the line has been extended to a longer time.

You chose some nice teas, I hope they arrive very soon for you to enjoy.

Jun 14th, '12, 01:38

by Poohblah » Jun 14th, '12, 01:38

robbie_olive wrote:Shincha ordered from Zencha.net hasn't come!

I ordered and paid for 3 packets of Shincha from zencha.net (Yame Shincha the Ultimate, Kagoshima YM & YM Premium) on the 23 May.

They told me in an email that it will take about 7-10 days to arrive, plus it could be delayed due to Customs (which in Australia it seems they always love to put it thru quarantine before it's sent to the post office.) They also informed me that because they're coming straight from the manufacturer, that there will be 2 separate packages.

I am STILL yet to receive my shincha, even though it has been 3 weeks since I ordered it. Should I be worried; should I wait another few days or should I email zencha.net straightaway?

I'm a little annoyed that zencha.net don't provide an EMS option for tea shipments, whereas other online stores do.

Cheers,
Robbie
Can't hurt to e-mail them explaining that you've waited for three weeks and you just want confirmation that it's been shipped.

Jun 14th, '12, 07:48

by robbie_olive » Jun 14th, '12, 07:48

Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll wait a few more days, and if it hadn't arrived by the middle of next week, I'll send off an email and ask what has happened.

I'll also to point out to Zencha.net that they need an EMS option for shipping tea packages, for a quicker and more reliable postal service.

Jun 14th, '12, 20:12

by JohnnyChai » Jun 14th, '12, 20:12

robbie_olive wrote:Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll wait a few more days, and if it hadn't arrived by the middle of next week, I'll send off an email and ask what has happened.

I'll also to point out to Zencha.net that they need an EMS option for shipping tea packages, for a quicker and more reliable postal service.
Believe Zencha has airmail and EMS options, you pay for them though...

+ Post Reply