OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

Postby MIKE_B » Jun 15th, '12, 13:09

My first tasting was the Uji Asamushi Aoi.
I used Chip's brewing parameters posted above. 5g in 150ml.

I got three solid infusions and a fourth sweet light brew.
This had some good umami and a great grassy aftertaste. It felt thick in the mouth, but still refreshing. There was just the tiniest bit of bitter in the first brew, none at all in the rest.
I thought this shincha was excellent and Chip's brewing suggestions were right on. I really loved this session with this tea.

Rating...4.5
Last edited by MIKE_B on Jun 15th, '12, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
MIKE_B

Postby minor_glitch » Jun 15th, '12, 16:11

Got my photo setup ready so I can spend more time tasting and less time adjusting lighting. Just used some generic chinese tea and leftover leaves for the test shots. The real fun begins tonight!

minor_glitch

Postby limbo » Jun 15th, '12, 16:46

^

Sweet set up! Just wondering, do you brew your chinese greens in your kyusu as well? Just placed an order for an unglazed, and was thinking of brewing some lighter chinese greens in it as well, but was wondered it might mix up the flavours over time as the clay absorbs everything.

Can't wait till my package arrives.
limbo

Postby MIKE_B » Jun 15th, '12, 22:23

My second tasting. Just brewed up the San no Ma (Kirameki), using the same parameters I used for the Aoi. (See post above.)
This was another great tea. The leaves were an amazing dark green,
The taste was very similar to the Aoi, but cleaner, to me. There was absolutely no bitterness. There was just enough umami. The aroma seemed faint and the aftertaste was light, but very enjoyable.
I loved this subtle tea. I wonder if I increase the leaf to water ratio, will I like it even more. If I could make this tea just a bit stronger without it getting too bitter, it might rate a 5 for me.

rating...4.5
MIKE_B

Postby Poohblah » Jun 15th, '12, 22:38

I just got mine too! going to open it tonight, still not sure which one I'll start with... probably the Chiran or another Fuka. I'll save the Asa for another time
Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Jun 15th, '12, 22:52

limbo wrote:Just wondering, do you brew your chinese greens in your kyusu as well?
Based on my experience, I would not recommend brewing Chinese teas, green or otherwise, in an unglazed kyusu that is used primarily for sencha. Chinese greens and Japanese sencha have such a different flavor profile that flavors are only muddied by the crossover. Your Chinese greens will taste like sencha if you brew them in a seasoned kyusu.
Poohblah

Postby limbo » Jun 16th, '12, 02:29

Thanks! Will only be feeding it sencha then :lol:
limbo

Postby minor_glitch » Jun 16th, '12, 03:26

I've yet to brew a chinese green in my kyusu. Don't think I ever will. That's actually leftover YM in the kyusu in the photo. The dry leaves on the little sauce tray are the chinese tea I was referring to.
minor_glitch

Postby minor_glitch » Jun 16th, '12, 04:49

Ok, here we go!

Disclaimer: I have limited experience with shincha, so forgive me if my reviews make no sense! Fortunately I've already been enjoying YM for the last few weeks, so I have a reference point to compare the other teas to.

I decided to start with 'K' tonight since I got an extra sample of it to replace YM. I figure if I'm going to screw up a tea it might as well be the one I have the most of!

First, some photos.

Leaves after the first brew. Don't have a photo of the cup because the light reflected from my white ceiling made the tea look like water with barely any green. Have to rethink my photo strategy for the next round...

This would be the second steep. Again, the liquid is actually a fair bit darker and greener than the photo would have you believe.

Leaves fully expanded during the 4th steep. Noticeably lighter in colour.

As for taste, I lack the vocabulary to describe it, but compared to YM I found this tea really smooth. In taste and in texture. It seemed almost...glossy?

I preheated my kyusu, so my first two steeps were around 70deg, with the 3rd and 4th a bit hotter. Went 60 seconds for the first, maybe 10 seconds max for the second, again 60 seconds for the 3rd, and I lost track of time on the 4th steep.(Hey, I'm new to this!)
Absolutely no bitterness in the first two steeps, with just a touch of bitter aftertaste on the 3rd steep. That could have been my brewing time though. Again, the word that comes to mind for this one is smooth.

Hopefully I'll have something more insightful to say after I've tried all the other teas.
minor_glitch

Postby MIKE_B » Jun 16th, '12, 22:11

Had the Chiran this afternoon.
This was a nice tea. No bitterness and a little umami. I thought maybe it was a little thin. There wasn't much of an aftertaste and the third infusion seemed pretty brewed out. I'd try to brew this with a little more leaf next time.

rating...4
MIKE_B

Postby Chip » Jun 16th, '12, 22:53

MIKE_B wrote:Had the Chiran this afternoon.
This was a nice tea. No bitterness and a little umami. I thought maybe it was a little thin. There wasn't much of an aftertaste and the third infusion seemed pretty brewed out. I'd try to brew this with a little more leaf next time.

rating...4

Chiran is Yutaka Midori, but it is not "Yutaka Midori." :wink: If you catch my drift.

Thank you minor_glitch and Mike for reviews and photos!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby minor_glitch » Jun 17th, '12, 02:06

Glad to contribute! I'll try to work the word umami into my next review.haha I'm slowly picking up the tea jargon!
minor_glitch

Postby Drax » Jun 17th, '12, 18:38

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far, everybody!

I've tried 3 of the teas so far (working in alphabetical order), so the Aoi, Chiran, and today the Kirameki -- and I've really enjoyed them all.

I think I mis-handled the Kirameki, though. The first cup was spectacular (3.3g in 100ml shibo, 165F 90s) but the second cup fell a bit flat (166F, 20s); I think I actually got more out of the 3rd and 4th than the 2nd. Next time through I think I'll do the second cup a bit longer. Definitely a fine tea, though. I was able to do 212F for 5m on the 5th cup and it actually turned out okay (not the 'hair' quality that a lot of senchas devolve into...).

A great run so far. I'll reserve my ratings until I get a better feel for the teas in my second or third encounter.
Drax

Postby minor_glitch » Jun 18th, '12, 04:26

Finally managed to kill the reflections in the liquid with a different lighting setup. I call it Operation Overkill. :D
We'll see how it goes when I tackle the next tea!

minor_glitch

Postby David R. » Jun 18th, '12, 07:03

Teas have reached France... Water is boiling... :wink:
David R.

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions