Hello from Canada Ontario

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jun 10th, '12, 15:36

Hello from Canada Ontario

by Tako » Jun 10th, '12, 15:36

Hello guys, you can call me John T or in this case "John Tea" xD

I started drinking tea a month ago, mostly dragon well \ silver needle \ jasmine dragon pearls from Tealux. Would anyone here recommend others + sources serving good quality teas, take paypal and if possible within Canada? :)

I would really appreciate to have me start off with something good :)

Jun 10th, '12, 15:47

Re: Hello from Canada Ontario

by debunix » Jun 10th, '12, 15:47

Welcome to TeaChat!

I'm sure others will be along soon with recommendations for Canadian online retailers--I've not ordered from any myself but I know there are several with very good reputations.

This is a great place to learn and share about tea, but a caution is in order about TAD. Teaware Acquisition Disorder is highly contagious and epidemic in this community.

Jun 10th, '12, 16:56

by Tako » Jun 10th, '12, 16:56

LOL tad xD

Jun 10th, '12, 23:46
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jun 10th, '12, 23:46

Welcome!! :D
Just wondering, any particular reason for the 'within Canada'? As far as I know, within Canada shipping isn't generally cheaper and/or faster and often works out a lot more expensive. (And also found generally that tea prices can be higher for Canadian vendors offering cheap or free shipping.)

Jun 11th, '12, 00:27

by minor_glitch » Jun 11th, '12, 00:27

SilentChaos is right. Ordering from Canada tends to be more expensive.
Just sort through the teavendor pages and check out all the vendor sites. You'll find a few you like. Usually I rely on Jing and Yunnan Sourcing for Chinese teas and Yuuki-cha and O-cha for Japanese greens, but there are plenty of great ones out there.

Jun 11th, '12, 06:11

by sherubtse » Jun 11th, '12, 06:11

minor_glitch wrote:SilentChaos is right. Ordering from Canada tends to be more expensive.
I'm not so sure about that.

I can think of several places in Canada that offer free shipping above a certain amount (Camellia-Sinensis, Capital Tea, Shanti Tea, Davids), and some in the States (for example) that charge alot for shipping (Upton & Den's). Others in Canada charge a small amount for shipping (Chado Tea House, Assam Tea Co.).

I guess much depends on how one defines "expensive", and how much tea one is ordering at a time.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 11th, '12, 06:54

by Tako » Jun 11th, '12, 06:54

I'm not looking only for Canadian retailers although now if tea within Canadian is expensive then I rather not. The only thing is I'm only paying with PayPal :(

Jun 11th, '12, 07:03

by AdamMY » Jun 11th, '12, 07:03

Tako wrote:I'm not looking only for Canadian retailers although now if tea within Canadian is expensive then I rather not. The only thing is I'm only paying with PayPal :(
Are you looking for any specific type of tea? Quite a few vendors take Paypal. In fact I have a harder time thinking of Vendors that do not take paypal ( though there are a few).

For Japanese greens, look at a lot of the bigger name vendors, I am fairly certain both O-Cha and Maiko take paypal. The only one that I believe does not take Paypal is Ippodo.

I basically never order Indian tea's, so I can not help there. For Chinese tea's I think most of them take paypal.

In short explore the Tea Vendor's forum, and most sites advertise if they take paypal. If not add an item to your cart, and go through a mock check out process to see if an option to pay by paypal comes up.

Jun 11th, '12, 11:58

by minor_glitch » Jun 11th, '12, 11:58

Good point sherubtse. I suppose if you order enough to get free shipping it may be worth it. Then again with a place like Upton, the shipping cost may be high, but the tea prices are low, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

Jun 11th, '12, 18:26

by Tako » Jun 11th, '12, 18:26

Well Adam anything but Indian, not a big fan of darjeeling although I will give darjeeling another chance.

I have some questions about the Gyokuro tea, this needs a special teapot and properly brew it. Especially the water, where would I get spring water?...spring water cooler bottles, filtered water such as using a brita?

I have so much to research, so many questions to ask and ugh...so many things to buy lol. I'll order 2 weeks before finishing these batches of teas, than I'll put $200 on tea and pots etc. Feels like work to enjoy a great cup of tea but definitely worth the trouble xD

Jun 14th, '12, 14:26

by Tao » Jun 14th, '12, 14:26

Hi John, it is glad to meet you here, i am from Toronto, Ontario, if possible i would like to invite you to my tea room have a nice cup of tea.

Tako wrote:Hello guys, you can call me John T or in this case "John Tea" xD

I started drinking tea a month ago, mostly dragon well \ silver needle \ jasmine dragon pearls from Tealux. Would anyone here recommend others + sources serving good quality teas, take paypal and if possible within Canada? :)

I would really appreciate to have me start off with something good :)

Jun 16th, '12, 19:11

by Tako » Jun 16th, '12, 19:11

That'll be nice :)

Unfortunately I won't be going to Toronto anytime soon, in a month or two I'll be passing Toronto to skydive again. Till then we'll have to wait for my last drink haha

Jun 17th, '12, 18:31

by sherubtse » Jun 17th, '12, 18:31

Tako wrote:That'll be nice :)

Unfortunately I won't be going to Toronto anytime soon, in a month or two I'll be passing Toronto to skydive again. Till then we'll have to wait for my last drink haha

When you do get to TO, I suggest you take Tao up on his offer. He has a great tea store, with some great Chinese teas. And he also does a very nice gong fu ceremony.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 17th, '12, 23:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 17th, '12, 23:53

Hi Tako, welcome to TeaChat. Hope to see you around the forum. As others have mentioned, check out the TeaVendor guide and have fun with your TeaJourney.

Aug 22nd, '12, 10:45

by MacGuffin » Aug 22nd, '12, 10:45

Tako wrote:Well Adam anything but Indian, not a big fan of darjeeling although I will give darjeeling another chance.
Gee, that's too bad. Assam Tea Co. has some slammin' tea and they're really nice, too. Saunam, who runs the business end in Canada, represents the current generation of a longtime tea farming family; they have a conventional and an organic plantation (he'll have to relocate to take over for his retiring parents soon; his wife and kids will remain in Canada). They also offer a few teas from other small growers in India and elsewhere, including Indian takes on greens and whites. Andrew at Seven Cups recommended them to me some years back and not unsurprisingly, it turned out well. At least have a look at their offerings. :)

+ Post Reply