Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 10th, '12, 19:21

Official Pu of the day

by debunix » Jun 10th, '12, 19:21

Such serendipity is proof of your good taste, that even the last scraps harmonize well.

Jun 11th, '12, 18:56

Re: Official Pu of the day

by BioHorn » Jun 11th, '12, 18:56

2010 Hai Lang Hao "Cha Wang" YiWu Autumn
Probably not the best idea to start off YiWu tasting week with this good a tea, but the temptation was too hard to resist.
I like young sheng when it has a complex blend of floral and tobacco suspended in a nice ku wei wrapper. What has impressed me with this tea is the durability and ability to take varying lengths of infusions in stride.
It has quite a long coating finish that floats between flavors and ends a bit sweet.
Compare to HLH's wallet busting LBZ, I'd say while not cheap, this is a nice representation of YiWu and for that matter, young sheng. I sure would like to try a spring version of this tea.

Sorry for the lousy iPad photo.

Jun 11th, '12, 23:09

by shah82 » Jun 11th, '12, 23:09

Did you get this from YS? I cannot seem to find a fall Yiwu Chawang. A fall Yishanmo, but not the chawang...

Jun 12th, '12, 00:08

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jun 12th, '12, 00:08

Hey Pu heads.

Tonight I attempted to enjoy the 2003 Changtai Yichanghao. I bought two cakes from Red Lantern when they were first offered.

Since then, this tea has changed a good bit from storage. First of all, the wet stored aroma and flavour is almost gone, minus the first infusion. Secondly, the qi of this tea has increased dramatically. The flavour is still mild though. Personally, Many of my teas have changed from the storage I've placed them in, and the changes that I'm perceiving don't really add up. Increased qi and the like. Please, write your thoughts. thanks

Jun 12th, '12, 00:52

by shah82 » Jun 12th, '12, 00:52

One thought is that you're more used to what the tea offers you over the years, and you're more able to identify the qi, rather than actually feeling more qi.

I have noticed my older teas gaining in qi, but my oldest, the 2001 7542 is about the same as it ever was in the year and a half I've had it.

Jun 12th, '12, 09:12

by BioHorn » Jun 12th, '12, 09:12

shah82 wrote:Did you get this from YS? I cannot seem to find a fall Yiwu Chawang. A fall Yishanmo, but not the chawang...
Good eye there Shah. My error!
It is spring YiWu. I finished it off yesterday. The journey was worth it even though it got a bit rubbery at the end. I wish I had a time machine to drink this tea aged 30 years tomorrow.
Below is a link:
http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1247

Jun 14th, '12, 10:11

by auhckw » Jun 14th, '12, 10:11

2012 Dayi Spring Tuo Raw - Small buds from spring harvest. Tasted green. Light. Fresh. Sweet. Not strong. Not smoky. Not bitter. Easy to drink now.

Jun 16th, '12, 18:27

by BioHorn » Jun 16th, '12, 18:27

YiWu #2 of YiWu tasting month:
YS, LLC, 2002 Yi Wu "Ancient Spirit" Raw Sheng
Unusual in that Scott has this more traditional stored puerh. There were definite signs of higher humidity storage. I would highly recommend a sample for those of you writing asking for an example of moderately aged sheng. This is getting beyond the teenage years. It had a nice tempered camphor aged/ beet juice taste to it. Really surprising considering it only has ten years. Quite a big difference fom Kunming aged teas. Scott states that it has been stored in Jing Hong. A decent buy at $5.50 for a 25 gram sample and $43 per cake.
http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1994

I enjoyed this tea. The middle heart of the brewing (+-#'s 5-9) brought out some rich mouth coating broth with moderate to little astringency. It was quite easy to brew. There was nearly no smoke.

If time allows I will post pics later. The tea is on the darker side due to more humid storage conditions.

Jun 16th, '12, 18:35

by BioHorn » Jun 16th, '12, 18:35

YiWu # 3
2003 CNNP
High Mountain Wild Arbor YiWu Sheng

Dry storage. This is a heavy smoke bomb. If Talisker is your thing, then you may enjoy this hardy pu. I am now on day 4-5 and a peaty scotch barrel aroma still is pervasive. It provides quite a contrast to # 2 (above).
The dry storage has done little to temper the raw sheng bite.

If you want something with a cigar, this tea might make a good partner.
http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... roduct=409

Jun 17th, '12, 09:48

by auhckw » Jun 17th, '12, 09:48

2011 Gold Dayi Raw Review - by Clouds

Chinese:
http://www.cloudsteacollection.com/html ... rt054.html

Google Translate to English:
http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... rt054.html

He claimed that Gold Dayi has 2 production date and both taste slightly diff.

Jun 19th, '12, 23:11

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jun 19th, '12, 23:11

hey folks -

tonight I had the 2010 XZH manning gu cha, just for the heck of it. It's definitely smoother and more oily in the mouth than most young sheng that I own.

I went light tonight - 6 grams in a 100ml gaiwan. It still has some bitterness and the whole bit, but the flavour and the oily, coating feeling in the mouth for the first 3 infusions is nice. I could definitely feel some power moving down towards the tummy.

My little porcelain pot is way too small for tea like that, so the gaiwan seemed to be a better choice for getting the tea out quickly. As you know, it's hotter than satan's pitchfork on a summer day, so i left the lid off until the moment i needed to pour. It was fun.

Enjoy, Tea friends.

Jun 21st, '12, 16:26

by AdamMY » Jun 21st, '12, 16:26

2010 Essence of Tea Nannou.

Brews up an interesting orange color I am not quite sure I have seen from a tea before. ( Though I have seen close, usually there is a tinge more brown though).

The aroma has a good deal of spices, and cloves. Oddly now that I am thinking about oranges, I get just that freshly peeled oranges from this tea, complete with the little bit of rind. Still not incredibly complex but from my opinion much improved from when it was freshly released.

(If some of you are wondering about 2010 EOT Nannou, and not remembering it, I had to ask Nada about it specifically, and he sold me two cakes, but while not horrible, they went quite off during the pressing, as such I am not sure if Nada ever widely released them for sale.)

Jun 23rd, '12, 01:42

by debunix » Jun 23rd, '12, 01:42

2006 A-Gu Zhai Wild Arbor Pu-erh tea * Bu Lang Shan from Yunnan Sourcing

Another excellent session with this tea: it sat in the small sample bag in the bottom of the tea drawer, and I just happened to pick it up this morning. I wasn’t anticipating a tea log note so didn’t weigh it out, but the small porcelain gaiwan is 1/3 to 1/2 full with the leaves long since fully hydrated. I’m at least 12 and likely 15 steeps into it, and this is so lovely, reminding me a lot of the 2009 Lao ban zhang that is my current touchstone for young sheng. It does take a little care, even 8 or 10 steeps out, because I forgot a steep for at least 5 and maybe a few more minutes a few back, and it was…..unpleasantly bitter. But back to shorter (now 30-60 seconds), and it’s light, delicious, with that anise/herbaceous touch that I love. Mmmmm.

Just ponied up to buy a whole beeng.

Jun 23rd, '12, 19:26

by AdamMY » Jun 23rd, '12, 19:26

2010 Essence of Tea Mansai.

Quite nice, lots of dried fruits and leather. This tea has an oddly calming effect. It's potent, with a lot of spices with more and more appearing in each subsequent steep. I still don't quite get puerh, though I am trying more and more to understand puerh.

Jun 26th, '12, 02:47

by HifideliTea » Jun 26th, '12, 02:47

Purchased over 20+ years ago, ripe Purple Cane. We had totally forgotten about it's existence until recently and had to "correct" it's characteristics by breaking up the bing and airing it for 2+ months amongst the tea storage area.

Very smooth, infused many times, good cha qi, woody, ginseng, musky, slight astringency. Even my daughter liked it ...."this should be the teas we ought to be drinking".
Have only about 15 gms left, starting to rummage the stockpile for the next batch of old teas.
IMG-20120625-00158.jpg
3 flusings.
4th infusion instant brew
IMG-20120625-00158.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
IMG-20120625-00157.jpg
twigs and all....
IMG-20120625-00157.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 2102 times

+ Post Reply