O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Apr 17th, '12, 05:34

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

by Noahnoir » Apr 17th, '12, 05:34

Finally i ordered the Matcha Manten and some Kame Gyo... yeah, i'am a rich man... :?
do you have any parameters for the kame? :)

Jun 15th, '12, 03:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Jun 15th, '12, 03:26

Just wanted to give a big thumbs-up to O-Cha.com for expanding the organic lineup significantly! I hope - given supplies allow it - this can be kept up throughout the year.
I'm really tempted to purchase right now, but "unfortunately" I still have too many unopened teas in the fridge at the moment.

Also, the way you're handling the reintroduction of Shizuoka tea makes me confident that I can drink it safely.

The only thing that still feels a little weird is seeing the Fukushima address on your packages. In reality, there might be nothing to be afraid of but it'll be a long time until Fukushima loses that stigma in the public consciousness.

Jun 15th, '12, 19:31

by Chip » Jun 15th, '12, 19:31

O-Cha has really offered up a nice assortment of new organics. And yeah, good to see the Shizuoka entry! :mrgreen:

I asked Kevin about the newest offering Kanayamidori which is true shincha/sencha at 12.35 USD. He said don't be fooled by the low price, it is really good. He is simply passing on the great deal he got to customers ... but do not expect this one to stick around long. Once it's gone, it's gone.

That makes 6 organics under 20 USD per 100 grams! And one at 20 and change.

Jun 25th, '12, 07:52

by Chip » Jun 25th, '12, 07:52

http://www.o-cha.com/offers.php?mode=offer&offerid=7

Speaking of organics, O-Cha is running a special through July 15, 2012. Buy any 3 organics and automatically receive 10% off.

Jun 25th, '12, 11:20

by sherubtse » Jun 25th, '12, 11:20

Figures! I just ordered a slew of these recently. :cry:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 14th, '12, 03:53

by Stentor » Aug 14th, '12, 03:53

I noticed O-Cha.com has many new teas in their lineup that look quite intriguing.
I just wish you could buy their teas in 50 g bags.
I'd buy twice as many teas and would gladly accept a higher per gram price for a 50 g bag.

Oct 14th, '12, 09:28

by sherubtse » Oct 14th, '12, 09:28

I see that O-Cha is having a sale on some of their teas, both high and low-end ones:

http://www.o-cha.com/offers.php?mode=offer&offerid=6

http://www.o-cha.com/Clearance

I'm not sure if this sale is in addition to the recent offer for newsletter subscribers, though I presume so.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 16th, '13, 06:05

by Alex » Apr 16th, '13, 06:05

Forgot these guys had expanded their organic range. Just had the postman drop off some Kagoshima Organic Sencha.

Very smooth with a long after taste that lingers for ages, very enjoyable!. Really looking forward to working my way through the range.

Great service as well.

Apr 18th, '13, 00:11

by Chip » Apr 18th, '13, 00:11

Interesting video of a shiboridashi to be carried by O-Cha being made.

http://vimeo.com/63990696

Mar 19th, '14, 08:11

by Linty » Mar 19th, '14, 08:11

Hello,

new to the world of matchas and have been scrolling through the o-cha products with wide eyes.. here's my predicament: I just got married, and bought a place... I'm a teacher, love something warm/hot to cradle and soothe my throat, and love the taste of matcha. But the thing is, I have one shot at this (I would get in trouble if I ordered multiple things etc), could somebody lend their expertise and recommend a matcha? I'm looking for something sweet, aromatic, not bitter... something to lose myself in for a moment, and holds up well even when the mug goes cold... help? I've read the kiri no mori is a good starting spot for beginners... but since this is a one shot thing, I wonder if I should just shoot a little higher?

Thanks!

ps i'm sitting here currently craddling a cup of sencha I got as a sample (from davids t)... and meh. It's kinda weak/watery/atringen-y.

Mar 19th, '14, 22:45

by Chip » Mar 19th, '14, 22:45

You cannot go wrong in purchasing from this vendor. While I do not drink Matcha as often as I once did, I found each selection sampled to be a good value and the increasing price increments justified.

So, while I hesitate to suggest a particular selection ... as many of us do, perhaps select a desirable price point and start there.

BTW, since you are new to tea ... Matcha is most often enjoyed from a bowl called a chawan. The matcha is whisked with a bamboo device called a chasen which is really the best tool for the job.

The reason I mention this is because you may have some trouble getting the matcha into "suspension" and sans lumps in a cup with a kitchen whisk.

But my first try of matcha was with a cereal bowl whisked with a metal kitchen whisk.

Last time I looked, O-Cha gives you the opportunity to buy matcha, chawan, chasen at a combined lower price than if they were purchased individually.

... er ... one last little thing, matcha will not stay in suspension indefinitely and is best enjoyed right after whisking.

Mar 26th, '14, 10:24

by Linty » Mar 26th, '14, 10:24

Thanks Chip for the tips,

I "Liked" their page on fb and got the code for a little discount, but when I went back to pick up the "Organic Matcha Kaoru" they were out of stock.. just my luck lol, so I will wait for that.

Mar 26th, '14, 20:12

by Linty » Mar 26th, '14, 20:12

And I chose the Organic matcha kaoru because it seemed to hit that sweet spot for me between price and "moving up the ladder". I also liked that it was "intense" in aroma, i read an old review on a blog that gave it a good review too, so yeh. It needs to come back in stock like asap. Oh another question, when it comes, its a little metal can with a bag inside yes? (From what i can tell in the photos...), anyways, do you guys dump the bag into the can amd get rid of the bag? Seems kinda figety to keep the bag.... But what do people around here do? Or even keep their matcha in? Are there better tins? That sre ai tight? Oooo or tins with air tight lids with dissecant in the lid? Would that be good? I have no idea to find something like that..... End of ramble.

Mar 27th, '14, 01:34

by Peacock » Mar 27th, '14, 01:34

Linty,

You can get a natsume. A tea caddy for storing matcha. I put in a few days worth and keep the rest in the metal tin inside the fridge.

Mar 27th, '14, 10:02

by Linty » Mar 27th, '14, 10:02

Thanks Peacock,

and I made the purchase! Waiting for my can of org. Kaoru match... can't wait. My wife asked why I was so excited, I told her I just ordered some tea. A bigger eye-roll I have yet to see. lol

+ Post Reply