Need info on tea in Nepal for an article

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

May 24th, '12, 07:03
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

Need info on tea in Nepal for an article

by sriracha » May 24th, '12, 07:03

Hello all,

I have been asked to write an article on tea in Nepal for a local magazine and am looking for good sources of information on this topic.
The text would consist of some background info, and then some about the character and taste of Nepal's teas.

I don't want this to be just cobbled-together facts from googled sources so if anyone has knowledge or ideas of where to find it I'd be more than grateful.

There's no hurry yet, the publication is bi-annual and this would be published in their Fall issue,out in September or October.

(if this is the wrong sub-forum please feel free to move the topic)

Thanks in advance!

Jun 26th, '12, 01:26

Re: Need info on tea in Nepal for an article

by Tead Off » Jun 26th, '12, 01:26

Just curious, but people usually write about things they have first hand experience of. Usually writers have traveled to a place, maybe photographed certain aspects of the culture, and, write an article about what they experienced. Why would you write an article about something you are not directly involved with? Is there something I have missed?

Jun 26th, '12, 04:17

by sriracha » Jun 26th, '12, 04:17

As an introduction. =)

The magazine in question is a specialty publication about chocolate mainly but also covers tea/coffee/whiskey and other stuff like that.

It would be mainly about the tea. Neither I nor the magazine have the finances to send me to Nepal, also it wouldn't be a huge article spanning several pages, just ~4000 characters or something like that. But if I can write a better text and get the facts right by asking around a little it's all for the better, no? Nepal's teas are worthy of more attention where I live(indeed any loose-leaf, quality tea is).

I did something similar about Korean teas for their Spring issue but I don't fancy myself a journalist at all, was really hugely surprised I was contacted. For that text I read all the literature I could find, ordered books, was loaned books, tried all the tea I could get my hands on to get as full a picture I could, and finally met with a local tea vendor who himself goes to Korea to source his tea, asked him questions and drank even more tea. That time I had only about three weeks to complete the text whereas now I have several months. I really want to have as much info as I possibly can before I start writing.

Thank you for replying!

Jun 26th, '12, 07:46

by sherubtse » Jun 26th, '12, 07:46

You could perhaps contact Kevin Gascoyne at Camellia-Sinensis. Although he is a Darj expert, he also has good knowledge of the tea industry in Nepal.

I will PM his e-mail address to you.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 26th, '12, 09:45

by sriracha » Jun 26th, '12, 09:45

Thank you sherubtse! I really appreciate it!

Jun 26th, '12, 16:26

by sherubtse » Jun 26th, '12, 16:26

Here is a recent article on Kevin, and his forays into tea-land:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Kev ... story.html

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply