OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha

Postby camw » Jun 25th, '12, 20:57

Thanks Chip - package arrived in Sydney yesterday, will post some notes shortly!
camw

Postby Poohblah » Jun 27th, '12, 21:29

here are my notes - just quick impressions and no scores, since I'm not an experienced sencha drinker.

C - tastes like sencha. enjoyable but did not stand out from the rest
S - thickest of all the samples. soupy, briny, oceanic. pleasant, slightly sweet aroma
Y - thick and briny like the Sae Midori, but to a lesser degree. much sweeter. very pleasant honey/peachy aftertaste, very sweet aroma, especially in the dry leaf. smooth and buttery like the Kirameki
M - slightly briny; eggy aroma and flavor. thought I smelled/tasted roasted potatoes? has elements of both fuka and asa.
A - sweet, eggy, and slightly grassy notes. not briny or soupy like the heavier steamed shinchas.
K - the clearest and brightest of the samples. very smooth, buttery, eggy, and sweet. difficult to make a bad brew. my favorite of the samples.

After round two, I think I enjoyed the Kirameki and Miyabi the most. Miyabi was nice because it cut down on the heavy briny flavor of the fukas while still retaining that rich, warm aroma and flavor. Fuka in general sits heavy with me, but the aroma of the dry leaves is just so wonderful. Yutaki Midori was by far best of the fukas. So probably, in order, my preference is K, M, Y, A, S, C. That would make Miyabi the best value by my tastes, I suppose.
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jun 28th, '12, 01:02

Thanks everyone for your reviews and comments so far.

Please keep the comments and reviews coming! Of course photos are always welcome.

I will begin posting my comments pretty soon, hopefully this week. I endeavor to give participants an opportunutity to taste teas first ... since I am the "host."
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jun 28th, '12, 01:03

camw wrote:Thanks Chip - package arrived in Sydney yesterday, will post some notes shortly!

... if Cam has his OTTI in the land down under, has everyone received their package?
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Drax » Jun 29th, '12, 06:26

Been a busy week, finally finished my first round through all the samples by having the YM yesterday. I think I had the best all-around experience with this tea. Of course, that could mean it just brewed best against my parameters... that's what rounds 2 and 3 are for...! :D
Drax

Postby MIKE_B » Jun 29th, '12, 14:15

Finishing up my last cup of this OTTI. I did two rounds of each tea using 5g in 150ml of water.
I liked every one of these. YM was probably my very favorite. The lighter asa, Kirameki was a very close second. The Chiran might have excited me the least, but still, an excellent choice for an every day sencha.
I enjoyed this OTTI very much.

And without pause, on to OTTI 14, Hakoniwado.

Thanks, Chip, for pulling these together. What a great way to learn about and sample all these teas.
MIKE_B

Postby msurads06 » Jul 2nd, '12, 12:45

This stinks, i got my tea quite a while ago but i have been so busy i havent really had time to sit and brew. I have OTTI13&14 teas waiting and things have been so crazy i have only brewed the C selection from this OTTI, OTTI 14 still sits unopened.

The first two tries at brewing this tea were ok, I was busy and didnt have the time to give it that it really needed. so i got a few good infusions and a few that were wrecked by sloppy brewing. I am using 1.5-2g/session in my 2 oz dens kysu. So far this session seems to be going better than the others. i cut back to 1.5 g and im not getting the bitterness i had with the other two brewings.

So far i have to agree that this seems a pretty good tea but nothing spectacular. rating:3
msurads06

Postby AdamMY » Jul 2nd, '12, 12:47

Aoi

First steep has a warm and buttery aroma. Taste pretty much matches the aroma. Very very enjoyable. Might go a little hotter than usual on the second steep to try and coax a little bit more out of it. As it stands right now its a very pleasant easy drinker. But I want a bit more OOMPH!

Second steep: smells a bit stronger, has a hint of dried pine needles. A little more heft this time, a lot more of leafy green vegetables, but still mellow but incredibly enjoyable.

Rating: 3-4 A good easy drinking tea, but not a lot of the WOW factor.
AdamMY

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 4th, '12, 20:27

Speaking of Aoi, here are a few quick shots of it.

I'll post Miyabi later. Still have to take photos of Chiran and YM.
minor_glitch

Postby AdamMY » Jul 5th, '12, 17:38

Chiran.

I may be crazy on this super hot day, but after some Iced Sencha Hosen from ippodo, I feel like some Hot tea, so I pulled out the OTTI satchets and grabbed "C."

I used a bit too much leaf ( read as "whole sample") so I am going shorter on infusion times, and a bit cooler. First infusion turned out a very interesting green color, almost like some of the cups posted in the "Jade?" thread. Oddly enough the aroma reminds me of roasting carrots, not much more, but its a very warm and savory aroma that I quite enjoy. The taste is a lot of buttered brown rice, with a touch of iceberg lettuce.

Oddly I am thinking I should push this one a little harder on the next steep.

Second steep borders on "swamp water" green. A much stronger aroma, with a lot of fresh garden vegetables, and a lot of celery. This steep might be closer to what FlyedPiper is used to ( a lot closer to what he brewed at the Kzoo tea meetup). Very very strong, like a smoothie with a healthy dose of spinach.

While good, its not quite my cup of tea ( pardon the pun)- 3 pts.
AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Jul 11th, '12, 13:14

Miyabi.

Brewed hot and strong, lets see how it goes.

First steep: Incredibly strong and welcoming aroma, lots of vegetables, and even some fresh corn. Taste is a nice gentle broth, again lots of vegetables, mainly leafy greens, but perhaps some asparagus and broccoli to mix things up.

Very green semi transparent second steep. Aroma is a bit deeper, more darker colored vegetables, as opposed to the light colors and corn from the first steep. A real flavor packed punch this time, almost a touch too astringent (grassy?).

Third steep somehow wound up being the strongest, lots of umami, but the aroma is almost gone.

Score: 4.
AdamMY

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '12, 16:32

Thank everyone for sharing your thoughts on OTTI 13 O-Cha Shincha. Please continue to share your experiences with these teas.

Time for me to start chiming in ...

I was certainly not disappointed with these 6 offerings. Each one brough enjoyment to varying degrees.

Miyabi ... great to see this one back in the line up! The dry leaf aroma as it warmed in the kyusu was pretty mind blowing, and the brew did let me down.

I could really manipulate the brewing and it will bring out different qualities without ever coming out bitter or bad in any way.

Warming dry leaf aroma 4.5 ... achieved "must sit down" ranking
Brew 4.5
Overall 4.5
Value rating taking into account cost to enjoyent ratio ... unchanged. Miyabi is a very good value
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '12, 16:34

Aoi. This is a personal perenniel favorite asamushi. Lots of clean veggie sensations, beautiful leaf. Very forgiving in brewing. Dry leaf aroma as it warmed in the kyusu was subtle but very nice.

Warming dry leaf aroma 4, Asamushi is generally milder in this regard compared to fukamushi
Brew 4.5
Overall 4.5
Value rating taking into account cost ... unchanged. Aoi is not cheap, but it is priced fairly.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '12, 16:36

Yutaka Midori!!! This is always very highly anticipated as O-Cha has always offered the best example of what I perceive YM to be. Depending on how brewed, different sensations came to the forefront. Brewed perfectly, umami, veggie, kelp/brine (in a good way), bitter came together in a way no other tea can match.

Warming dry leaf aroma 5 (Wish I could rate higher) ... mind blowing and achieved the ultimate "Oh my gosh, I must sit down" ranking
Brew 4.75
Overall 4.75
Value rating taking into account cost ... unchanged, a solid value for the price
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '12, 16:37

Sae Midori ... despite the fact that I am oft and generally not wowed by SM selections in general ... being too "soft" in my mind, this one was quite good with mild veggies coming to mind. And the greenest of green 2nd steeps was quite a "show!"

Warming dry leaf aroma 4.25 ... achieved "I might have to sit down" ranking
Brew 4.25
Overall 4.25
Value rating taking into account cost ... again, unchanged. I am finding this line up is priced pretty fairly for what you get.
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions