OTTI 14 Shincha Hakoniwado

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 14 Shincha Hakoniwado

Postby sherubtse » Jul 2nd, '12, 21:14

Chip wrote:
sherubtse wrote:Slightly off topic, but for those who would like to purchase some of the teas in this OTTI, here is an offer that may interest you:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Well, nothing saying in that posting that it is a steepster deal ... so ... :mrgreen: :arrow:

Yup, that's why I posted here.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby MIKE_B » Jul 2nd, '12, 21:39

Botan...round 2

After reading the other comments, decided to give this one another try right away.
I usually use filtered tap water, but my water had seemed particularly bad recently. This time I used Poland Spring bottled water. I also used the O-Cha OTTI method...unheated kyusu with hotter water.
My new results were pleasantly surprising.
Three smooth infusions. The first two had decent umami and butteriness. The third infusion still seemed kid of brewed out to me.
The light aftertaste had no soapiness this time.
What a change from my first go at this tea! You were so right, Chip. I went from really disliking the Botan to having a very nice session with it.

rating...solid 4
MIKE_B

Postby Chip » Jul 2nd, '12, 22:01

... and that's what tastings are all about! :mrgreen: We brew, share, and learn together. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Xell » Jul 3rd, '12, 00:17

sherubtse wrote:Slightly off topic, but for those who would like to purchase some of the teas in this OTTI, here is an offer that may interest you:

http://steepster.com/discuss/2972-new-j ... t-purchase

Best wishes,
sherubtse

News do spread really fast, thought to write about this in the morning with more details here, but well, don't have to now :) Current Yame selection for this year is almost complete.
Xell
Vendor Member

Postby Drax » Jul 3rd, '12, 13:49

Tried out the hojicha today. I think this was my first time with type of tea. I really enjoyed the grain/barley aroma, and was first worried, though, that it might be too strong, but it turned out really smooth and nice. I could really see enjoying this tea on a cold winter day or if I had a cold. Very nice.
Drax

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 3rd, '12, 14:04

Package arrived today :D The Tsubaki seems to have opened up and a little bit spilled out into the envelope, but it's probably still ok. I'll drink that one first.
minor_glitch

Postby Chip » Jul 3rd, '12, 14:14

minor_glitch wrote:Package arrived today :D The Tsubaki seems to have opened up and a little bit spilled out into the envelope, but it's probably still ok. I'll drink that one first.

That is no "minor_glitch" ... sorry about that.

There were major problems with the pouches this time. I seem to have received a defective batch.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby laura99 » Jul 3rd, '12, 15:37

I tried the hojicha today as well. I used to drink quite a bit of hojicha, but of the roasted bancha style. I tired of that over time though and do not drink it often now.

This was quite different! I really like this tea. It has the roasted flavour, but still a bit of green to it. Very smooth. I can see this having a place in my tea pantry, and the lower caffeine is always a plus for later in the day.
laura99

Postby minor_glitch » Jul 3rd, '12, 15:45

No worries Chip! Just tried it out and it's still good.
Very nice actually. Seems to have a bold, long lasting aftertaste. Finished my 4th steep about 10 mins ago and I can still taste it. Yum.
minor_glitch

Postby puerhking » Jul 3rd, '12, 15:54

Tried the houjicha....I had to force myself. So I brewed some in between another session.....as I don't like care for it. This was no exception....just taste the roast and no tea flavor. To each their own!
puerhking

Postby Remick » Jul 4th, '12, 00:32

Received the package last week but had to store the unopened packets in the fridge until I could carve out some tasting time.

88 nights -

Dry leaf: Wait, this is NOT asamushi!?! Abundant intact needles with gentle umami in the foreground followed by grass without distinct sweetness. Fleeting light floral hay to finish.

5g to ~4oz water.
Steep 1 = 45sec @ ~158f: Light. Light mouthfeel, light astringency, light bitterness; single dimensional. Some umami. Slight sweetness on the finish.

Steep 2 = 20sec @ 165f: 1st steep flavor but more abundant. Slight astringency with noticeable nori or seaweed note.

Steep 3 = 40sec @ 165f: Lighter continuation of earlier steeps but umami is mostly gone.

Steep 4 = 60sec @ 170f: Continued with sweetness that was likely covered by other flavors in earlier steeps. A note reminiscent of pleasant paper dominates. Increased astringency.

Overall, forgettably decent. Score = 3 with props for intact needles.

Chip and Xell, what temp or time parameters should I change for round 2?
Remick

Postby Chip » Jul 4th, '12, 01:26

Remick,

Try a longer first steep. I brewed this one yesterday ... it was realllly good. Perhaps best attempt at this shincha. I did a few things differently this time.

I brewed for about a minute or so. I actually think it was 75 seconds.

Your temp is pretty good, but did you preheat your pot? That is crucial for this temp.

I had been using your ratio, but went closer to 1:1 yesterday. It was just a bit over 1:1, 5 grams in 4.5 ounces water.

Speaking of water, what water are you using?
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Lerxst2112 » Jul 4th, '12, 10:30

Chip wrote:GREAT, JRS! :mrgreen:

sriracha, yours I placed into a bottle, corked it and threw it into the Schuylkill River which will eventually find the Atlantic Ocean. Depending on currents, you should have it "soon." :wink:

For Sriracha's sake I hope it wasn't up by Pottsville... That section of the river runs bone dry every year. :shock:
Lerxst2112

Postby Chip » Jul 4th, '12, 10:44

Lerxst2112 wrote:
Chip wrote:GREAT, JRS! :mrgreen:

sriracha, yours I placed into a bottle, corked it and threw it into the Schuylkill River which will eventually find the Atlantic Ocean. Depending on currents, you should have it "soon." :wink:

For Sriracha's sake I hope it wasn't up by Pottsville... That section of the river runs bone dry every year. :shock:

Nope, south of Pottsville where the river always flows. :mrgreen:

About to do a tasting of Kikyou ... pretty amazing shincha ... if you follow the directions.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby SilentChaos » Jul 4th, '12, 10:49

Chip wrote: I brewed for about a minute or so. I actually think it was 75 seconds. Your temp is pretty good, but did you preheat your pot? That is crucial for this temp.

I've been brewing my 88 nights at 1:1, 70C and pouring after 60sec is up for first steep, and I've been getting pretty consistent and yummy results. :D
SilentChaos
Vendor Member

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions