Need some help please.

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 8th, '12, 12:56

Need some help please.

by Antihero » Jul 8th, '12, 12:56

Has anyone tried this Pu-erh?

http://www.banateacompany.com/pages/pue ... -cake.html

I'm just starting to get into pu-erh tea. I'm still not big on the wet soil taste you get with most them. This seems like a good beginner pu-erh. If anyone has any other suggestions that would be great.

I'm looking for some sheng that's sweet, smooth and clean tasting. Something with a little bit of age to it already.

Jul 8th, '12, 13:07
Vendor Member

Re: Need some help please.

by TIM » Jul 8th, '12, 13:07

Interestingly, the brew is very dark for what the discriptions said?

Jul 9th, '12, 03:07
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 9th, '12, 03:07

Antihero wrote: I'm still not big on the wet soil taste you get with most them. ...
I'm looking for some sheng that's sweet, smooth and clean tasting.
If you are looking for what you described, i would not recommend what you listed. (I have a similar cake, with cheaper material - it ends up brewing up like red tea more so than puer) For that price you can do a lot better.

Do you mind astringency? If not, go for something from Nan nuo shan as an introduction. For that price, you can pick up a pretty decent cake with a good 5 years or so on it.

If you are just getting into puer, you might try something that is a well known blend, something like 7542 that is "classic".

Jul 9th, '12, 21:00

by Antihero » Jul 9th, '12, 21:00

TwoDog2 wrote:
Antihero wrote: I'm still not big on the wet soil taste you get with most them. ...
I'm looking for some sheng that's sweet, smooth and clean tasting.
If you are looking for what you described, i would not recommend what you listed. (I have a similar cake, with cheaper material - it ends up brewing up like red tea more so than puer) For that price you can do a lot better.

Do you mind astringency? If not, go for something from Nan nuo shan as an introduction. For that price, you can pick up a pretty decent cake with a good 5 years or so on it.

If you are just getting into puer, you might try something that is a well known blend, something like 7542 that is "classic".

I don't mind a little bit of astringency. I appreciate the suggestions. Is the Chinese Tea Shop in BC a reliable vendor?

Jul 9th, '12, 22:37
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 9th, '12, 22:37

Antihero wrote:
I don't mind a little bit of astringency. I appreciate the suggestions. Is the Chinese Tea Shop in BC a reliable vendor?

I am not familiar with them? I usually buy in China. There is a recommended vendors list on this site, or you could cruise some puer blogs and see what you turn up. The other option, is to get a few samples and then buy a full cake. This will save you the mistake of buying a cake of something you don't like, just because some random guy like me suggested it!

That being said, If you don't mind astringency, I think Nannuo shan would be a good entry point. It will be floral and inviting, and I think it is a good gateway to sheng pu.

Jul 10th, '12, 10:06

by needaTEAcher » Jul 10th, '12, 10:06

I really like Banna Tea Company, though I think they are a bit pricey. I also agree that the liquor is too dark for a 5-year-old sheng, unless it was super wet stored, and even then....

Personally, I don't buy tea I haven't tried. Is it possible for you to find some puerh shops anywhere near where you live? If you can try a few different types, then you can see what you like and buy with confidence. Give shou a shot!

Honestly, I usually recommend drinking shou to start, not sheng; then later try to get your hands on some older sheng (10 years plus if possible), even though it is more pricey. The younger shengs get a bit bitter, and I feel like they aren't great for beginners. But if you really want to go for the sheng, look for something in the 5-8 year range, and then brew it a bit weaker to start, especially if you can get your hands on some Yixing clay.

Also, I agree with trying out a classic recipe like 7542, or perhaps 8582. They are really, really solid teas.

Good luck!

Jul 10th, '12, 10:07

by needaTEAcher » Jul 10th, '12, 10:07

In retrospect, all of Bana's young shengs are brewing super dark. Maybe they over-steep for the photos, to make them look more mature than they are?

+ Post Reply