OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong

Postby Chip » Jul 6th, '12, 17:02

So far, I have replied to everyone if I received your email. And everyone is still in with spots still available!!!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Remick » Jul 6th, '12, 18:26

Sent an e-mail hoping to put my name on the list... Now back to OTTI 14 tea tasting :mrgreen:
Remick

Postby Chip » Jul 6th, '12, 22:27

Everyone is in so far ... you should have received a confirmation email along with the payment info request.

Getting tight ... if interested, I would encourage you to not hesitate, lest you lose your spot at the virtual TeaTable. :idea: :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby tea.and.peace » Jul 7th, '12, 22:54

Email sent.

Thanks for this grower/retailer introduction. Looks like a quality gig. I've been trying to find a new Taiwan Oolong vendor state side. Look forward to these samples if I'm added to the drinkers list....
tea.and.peace

Postby Fabien » Jul 9th, '12, 08:56

Hi Chip,

Just came back from some short holidays... and wasn't able to post before.
So, email sent, waiting to know if I'll be able to join that table :?
Fabien

Postby Chip » Jul 9th, '12, 10:44

Updates.

I have confirmed everyone so far. If you emailed me indicating interest in participating in OTTI 15 MountainTea, Range of Taiwan Oolong," but you did not receive a confirmation email, please resend right away.

I have also confirmed receipt of all payments I received. If you paid and did not receive payment confirmation, please let me know right away.

If you did not send payment yet, now woud be a very good time to do so. :wink:

Thanks!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 9th, '12, 21:19

I received some info from Chicco of MountainTea.com regarding altitude and cultivars ...

Chicco wrote:[regarding altitude] The LiShan is grown at 2000m above sea level. All other teas will be at 1500-1600m.

[regarding cultivars] The LiShan, Imperial Pearl, and Dong Ding are a QingXin varietal.

The Jade is a Jade.

The TieGuanYin is a TieGuanYin.

The Oriental Beauty is an Oriental Beauty
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Poohblah » Jul 9th, '12, 23:20

I am looking forward to the medium and dark roast teas. I've never really enjoyed green gao shan or tgy. The jade oolong in particular I am skeptical of, as so-called "jade oolong" in general appears to be a commercial variety of taiwan gaoshan oolong (also this jade oolong is a winter harvest according to the website). maybe this sample will change my mind. I suspect that I would have better luck with really high quality oolong, however. I should order some samples from MTR or something if I want to pursue that route.
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jul 9th, '12, 23:59

I like to encourage participants in any tastings (not just OTTI tastings) to approach the tasting with an open mind, positive attitude, and a happy palate ... and focus on the tasting at hand. :mrgreen:

Kind of a good karma way to proceed.

Remember, price is not always a good indicator of quality (all due respect to MTR whose teas are HQ).

This is an unusual of a tasting in that we have the opportunity to sample teas direct from the grower (MountainTea.com is the actual grower) and manufacturer (including roasting, etc.). Therefore price is especially not a good indicator since the teas are DFG, not passed through a myriad of hands before we are able to purchase ... thus the prices are quite reasonable.

So, in my mind, a big part of this round is the experience of sampling teas that have been hand picked by the grower for us to sample ... pretty cool. :idea:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Poohblah » Jul 10th, '12, 00:06

No way. That's pretty cool!

Yes. Open mind is a must. I wouldn't have participated if I didn't feel that I could taste with an open mind :D But that doesn't mean that I don't suspect that certain offerings will be less enjoyable than others to me.
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jul 10th, '12, 00:18

Poohblah wrote:No way. That's pretty cool!

Yes. Open mind is a must. I wouldn't have participated if I didn't feel that I could taste with an open mind :D But that doesn't mean that I don't suspect that certain offerings will be less enjoyable than others to me.

Of course ... understood.

I went in to the prelim tastings hopeful for a revelation ... it turned out to be the Imperial Pearl. Please keep in mind, I approached this tasting somewhat hoping for all greener oolongs and the Imperial Pearl is the darkest and most roasted offering :mrgreen: .

However, the Imperial Pearl was the first tea I cracked open and ... well without wanting to say much as I do not want to prejudice anyone before they even receive their samples ... it was fantastic. Though I do not consider myself a good judge in this realm, it is masterfully roasted.

Jade and Dong Ding are more indicative of style. But with the parameters I received from Chicco (he is Taiwanese despite the name) ... well, enough said. :wink:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Poohblah » Jul 10th, '12, 00:22

I am going to dutifully ignore the brewing suggestions on the website. These are all going straight into a gaiwan for me! Gongfu all the way. If I don't enjoy that, I'll try "grandpa" style, which is usually lazily enjoyable with just about any Chinese tea.
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jul 10th, '12, 00:28

Poohblah wrote:I am going to dutifully ignore the brewing suggestions on the website. These are all going straight into a gaiwan for me! Gongfu all the way. If I don't enjoy that, I'll try "grandpa" style, which is usually lazily enjoyable with just about any Chinese tea.

The directions on the site are intended for novices ... starting points.

I will be posting the brewing notes emailed to me from Chicco ... which are more to our likings I am sure.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby sherubtse » Jul 10th, '12, 06:07

Any idea, Chip, when you will be sending out the goodies? :?:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Postby Chip » Jul 10th, '12, 11:06

I received an email from Chicco ...
Chicco wrote:Have been following the OTTI. Wanted to let you know the Imperial Pearl is not roasted :)

... and I stand corrected. 8) Little do I know of Gaoshan, I would have thought the lovely complexity of Imperial Pearl was due partly to roasting. However, in my mind this only makes this selection even more interesting!

sherubtse wrote:Any idea, Chip, when you will be sending out the goodies? :?:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Likely early next week. They are enroute to me as we speak. As soon as they arrive, the will be packaged and shipped!
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions