Taiwan green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 13th, '12, 10:10

Taiwan green tea

by tea.and.peace » Jul 13th, '12, 10:10

Hey,

Wondering if we have any regular Taiwan green tea drinkers here at teachat?

I've been drinking Long Jing green tea, and ordered some 2012 Taiwan green tea from Norbu. Should be arriving very soon. This will be my first round with Taiwan green tea, and with Norbu tea offerings. Seems like very few vendors offer this Taiwan green tea......

Wonder if anyone could share any general impressions on your Taiwan green tea impressions? How do you find that you like to brew it?

Jul 13th, '12, 13:07
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Taiwan green tea

by Chip » Jul 13th, '12, 13:07

It has been several years since I have had a Taiwan true green tea and longer since I had Taiwan Long Jing. However, I am always verrry open to trying.

The selections I have had were not as fresh as I would like, but given the sources I am not surprised.

So, I would love to sample really fresh 2012 selections and will be eagerly watching here for replies ... suggestions.

Jul 13th, '12, 13:59

by sherubtse » Jul 13th, '12, 13:59

Here is an option from Mountain Tea:

http://www.mountaintea.com/collections/ ... -green-tea

It looks quite interesting, and have been tempted to procure it myself. But not sure when it was harvested, so I'll forgo it.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jul 13th, '12, 14:10

by tea.and.peace » Jul 13th, '12, 14:10

sherubtse wrote:Here is an option from Mountain Tea:

It looks quite interesting, and have been tempted to procure it myself. But not sure when it was harvested, so I'll forgo it.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
That is 2011 spring harvest mountain tea. They are not restocking with 2012. I already asked them.

Norbu has some fresh 2012 along with a established farmer. They have some 2011 discounted Taiwan green as well in ball form dried. They are not selling ball form any longer cause customers were complaining, and did not understand about the dried ball form. I was more interested in the ball form, but oh well.....

My Norbu order should be getting delivered today.
Last edited by tea.and.peace on Jul 13th, '12, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 13th, '12, 14:11

by Chip » Jul 13th, '12, 14:11

sherubtse wrote:Here is an option from Mountain Tea:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Drat, missed that one, package is already enroute.

Jul 13th, '12, 14:19

by tea.and.peace » Jul 13th, '12, 14:19

To be fair though. I first noticed the Taiwan green tea on mountain tea. Then I found some fresh stuff elsewhere since MT is not restocking with fresh Taiwan green. Very interested in comparing the taiwan Green to Chinese green.

If things pan out in OTTI 15 I will be supporting MT in the future on the oolong side.......

Jul 14th, '12, 17:44

by rhondabee » Jul 14th, '12, 17:44

I've posted before about trying Ruaysui Sky Crane honey green tea sold by T-Oolong Tea in Taiwan. I'm not a regular green tea drinker, but I liked the tea - thought it was smooth and mellow, very pleasant tasting and it had a great scent with hints of cinnamon. I wanted to purchase some again, but they are currently sold out. I think it is a summer harvested tea.

Jul 15th, '12, 06:32

by Tead Off » Jul 15th, '12, 06:32

Chip wrote:It has been several years since I have had a Taiwan true green tea and longer since I had Taiwan Long Jing. However, I am always verrry open to trying.

The selections I have had were not as fresh as I would like, but given the sources I am not surprised.

So, I would love to sample really fresh 2012 selections and will be eagerly watching here for replies ... suggestions.
Do they make Taiwan Longqing tea? Never heard of this.

Jul 15th, '12, 11:17

by Chip » Jul 15th, '12, 11:17

Tead Off wrote:
Chip wrote:It has been several years since I have had a Taiwan true green tea and longer since I had Taiwan Long Jing. However, I am always verrry open to trying.

Yes, but it bears lettle resemblence to the Chinese version, at least not the Taiwanese versions I have seen. Looks more like a Luan Gua Pian as I recall.

Jul 15th, '12, 12:24

by iovetea » Jul 15th, '12, 12:24

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Yes, but it bears lettle resemblence to the Chinese version, at least not the Taiwanese versions I have seen. Looks more like a Luan Gua Pian as I recall.
well be happy you didn't taste the taiwan version of pi luo chun.. well maybe there is a good taiwanese version of it, but the one i got was the pure horror....

Jul 15th, '12, 12:28

by iovetea » Jul 15th, '12, 12:28

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

is the taiwanese version lua gua pian a quality tea?? because I'm looking for a tea that i drank in childhood with my father. It looked like chinese lua gua pian but (maybe thats just flawed memory) i think the flavor profile was different that what they write for the chinese version.

Jul 15th, '12, 12:40
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jul 15th, '12, 12:40

iovetea wrote:well be happy you didn't taste the taiwan version of pi luo chun.. well maybe there is a good taiwanese version of it, but the one i got was the pure horror....
I just tasted two Taiwanese piluochun's few days ago. The one was okay. The other was sort of like the Chinese pilochun, but with a slight oolong quality to it and a touch sweeter. Quite tasty.

Jul 15th, '12, 12:59

by iovetea » Jul 15th, '12, 12:59

SilentChaos wrote:
iovetea wrote:well be happy you didn't taste the taiwan version of pi luo chun.. well maybe there is a good taiwanese version of it, but the one i got was the pure horror....
I just tasted two Taiwanese piluochun's few days ago. The one was okay. The other was sort of like the Chinese pilochun, but with a slight oolong quality to it and a touch sweeter. Quite tasty.
The one i had tasted totally grassy, but in an unnatural way. I was new to tea back then but i believe i brewed it right.

Jul 15th, '12, 13:07
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jul 15th, '12, 13:07

iovetea wrote:
SilentChaos wrote:
The one i had tasted totally grassy, but in an unnatural way. I was new to tea back then but i believe i brewed it right.
Yeah, unfortunately lots of gross Taiwanese pilochun out there.

Jul 15th, '12, 13:27

by Chip » Jul 15th, '12, 13:27

iovetea wrote:
Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

is the taiwanese version lua gua pian a quality tea?? because I'm looking for a tea that i drank in childhood with my father. It looked like chinese lua gua pian but (maybe thats just flawed memory) i think the flavor profile was different that what they write for the chinese version.
Sorry, I meant that the Taiwanese Long Jing more resembled Chinese Luan Gua Pian than Chinese Long Jing. I have never seen a Taiwanese LGP.

Seems I had a Taiwanese Bi Lo Chun many moons ago, was not from the greatest vendor though and it was very mediocre ... seemed rather flavorless and stale.

+ Post Reply