Generic Formosa Oolong: What is it?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 13th, '12, 16:36

Generic Formosa Oolong: What is it?

by AlexZorach » Jul 13th, '12, 16:36

A lot of the tea companies that have British-style teas, which also sell oolongs, tend to carry a series of oolongs from Taiwan that they label only as "Formosa Oolong". They tend to have a dark color, and range from different grades, with some of the higher grades often being labelled things like "Champagne Oolong".

What exactly are these? Are these all Oriental Beauty (Dong Fang Mei Ren) or Bai Hao oolongs, and just different grades of them? Or are they something else, and not always Bai Hao?

Jul 13th, '12, 16:56

Re: Generic Formosa Oolong: What is it?

by Poohblah » Jul 13th, '12, 16:56

I suspect that all of these are indeed bai hao, or at least a similar style. BH was originally produced as an export tea to Europe to satisfy their thirst for darker teas.

Jul 13th, '12, 17:09

by iovetea » Jul 13th, '12, 17:09

AlexZorach wrote:A lot of the tea companies that have British-style teas, which also sell oolongs, tend to carry a series of oolongs from Taiwan that they label only as "Formosa Oolong". They tend to have a dark color, and range from different grades, with some of the higher grades often being labelled things like "Champagne Oolong".

What exactly are these? Are these all Oriental Beauty (Dong Fang Mei Ren) or Bai Hao oolongs, and just different grades of them? Or are they something else, and not always Bai Hao?
i don't know, but i gave up on such tea companies after i bought king of tie guan yin that had absolutely nothing to do with oolong but just tasted like bad green tea.

Jul 13th, '12, 17:11

by AdamMY » Jul 13th, '12, 17:11

I wouldn't be so quick to say they are all Bai Hao. Granted it has been a few years, but I did have a tin of tea from a European company that was Labeled as "Formosa oolong" which thinking back about it now was likely some generic Taiwan oolong that was given a decent to heavy roast. It looked quite broken up, but the leaves were definitely more ball shape, than any Bai Hao I have ever seen.

+ Post Reply