Decent-quality mini-tuocha sheng?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 13th, '12, 16:34

Decent-quality mini-tuocha sheng?

by AlexZorach » Jul 13th, '12, 16:34

Mini tuocha, from my experience, can be pretty awful, and most of it that I've seen for sale is shu (ripened), not sheng (raw) which is what I'm more interested in. I did once have one that I thought was decent, from Upton Tea Imports.

It's so incredibly convenient. I am wondering if there are any other sources of decent-quality mini-tuocha sheng puerh's, that anyone could recommend.

I see that Yunnan Sourcing offers this sheng mini tuo, and it's dirt cheap. Has anyone tried this?

Jul 13th, '12, 16:47

Re: Decent-quality mini-tuocha sheng?

by zzenster » Jul 13th, '12, 16:47

I have not tried this particular mini tuocha, but I can't imagine that any of these tuocha are made from the half way decent material. In the referenced webiste it partially said, "they are made from what is swept up off the floor of a factory" This probably is true for most of mini tuo and that's why I don't drink tuocha.

It's not quite in the same price range, but I found this one to be enjoyable...
I don't know where you are located, but if you live in US, it's not a bad option.

http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/prod ... roduct=177

Jul 13th, '12, 17:00
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 13th, '12, 17:00

AlexZorach wrote: It's so incredibly convenient. I am wondering if there are any other sources of decent-quality mini-tuocha sheng puerh's, that anyone could recommend.
As the zzenster mentioned, most material for mini-tuo's is pretty bad.

If you are looking for convenience, one option is to buy a pu er cake of a tea you like, and then carefully break it up into chunks of 6g-8g, or however much you want, and then parcel it out into small bags or what have you. That way, you can carry a tuo sized amount with you to the office, or wherever

Jul 13th, '12, 17:24

by shah82 » Jul 13th, '12, 17:24

How about this as a compromise?

Look for fangchas. They're square, with tic-tac-toe divisions that you can break into nine fragments, and they typically have relatively good leaves.

Jul 13th, '12, 22:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 13th, '12, 22:03

FYI, pretty recent discussion ...

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17090

Jul 14th, '12, 08:36

by AlexZorach » Jul 14th, '12, 08:36

Thanks, looks like breaking up a real cake is probably the best way to go.

Aug 1st, '12, 03:00

by kasey » Aug 1st, '12, 03:00

I have some of that sheng from Upton Tea and it's really smoky, not like any other pu I've tried. But eBay has several varieties of very decent whole-leaf mini-tuos for bid pretty cheap. You can just about always get 30-45g for $2 or less with free shipping, you'll just have to wait a few weeks for it.

+ Post Reply