Japanese or Chinese, most healthy?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 17th, '12, 16:32

Japanese or Chinese, most healthy?

by Fireflower » May 17th, '12, 16:32

Which between this two should be most healthy generally?
Or is it a question not pertinent because there is not too much difference?

May 18th, '12, 09:56

Re: Japanese or Chinese, most healthy?

by Zubo » May 18th, '12, 09:56

You can't go wrong with either one, but I think Japan is a bit "safer" because Chinese sometimes use banned pesticides. I guess you don't have to worry if you buy from respected vendor.
I'm not sure does Chinese tea lose some nutrients while being roasted :?:

May 18th, '12, 15:31

by entropyembrace » May 18th, '12, 15:31

Fireflower wrote:Or is it a question not pertinent because there is not too much difference?
This is true...they are both the same plant and are processed similarily.

As to the pesticide issue...I think its a concern for cheap tea and not for high end tea...regardless of which country it was grown in.

May 19th, '12, 12:31

by Alex » May 19th, '12, 12:31

Enjoying the one you most like the flavour of will be best for your health :lol:

Jul 9th, '12, 21:15

by Teacup1980 » Jul 9th, '12, 21:15

I would say Japanese green tea is a little bit healthier because of its steaming process. The steaming process makes tea leaves broken and quick to extract its healthy components. Especially fukamushi (deep-steamed). One of the major TV shows in Japan reports fukamushi green tea is much healthier than regular green teas.

Jul 10th, '12, 04:32

by David R. » Jul 10th, '12, 04:32

entropyembrace wrote:As to the pesticide issue...
A tea grown without pesticide will be the healthiest, whatever the place it comes from. Now it all comes down to whether you trust the label on the teabag or not...

Jul 10th, '12, 06:10
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 10th, '12, 06:10

Teacup1980 wrote:I would say Japanese green tea is a little bit healthier because of its steaming process. The steaming process makes tea leaves broken and quick to extract its healthy components. Especially fukamushi (deep-steamed). One of the major TV shows in Japan reports fukamushi green tea is much healthier than regular green teas.
I heard about this too and seems it's responsible for why fukamushi got so popular.

Jul 10th, '12, 14:01

by teaisme » Jul 10th, '12, 14:01

Xell wrote:
Teacup1980 wrote:TV shows in Japan reports fukamushi green tea is much healthier than regular green teas.
I heard about this too and seems it's responsible for why fukamushi got so popular.
sure theres some science behind it, but is there enough? I think lots of studies like that neglect to account for important variables such as brewing technique or leaf quality. Don't forget some chinese greens are also steamed and vis versa.

I would say it all depends.

Jul 10th, '12, 14:08
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jul 10th, '12, 14:08

Would have been interesting to know who paid for those studies... =)

Jul 10th, '12, 15:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 10th, '12, 15:00

We all know, if it's on TV, it has to be true!!!

:roll: :lol: :twisted:

Jul 13th, '12, 15:55

by AlexZorach » Jul 13th, '12, 15:55

I've seen no solid evidence comparing Japanese to Chinese teas in terms of health. Unless it's studied scientifically, anything said on the topic is pure speculation.

Some of the reasoning I'm hearing in this thread also sounds slightly suspect to me.

For example, the steaming process does make the leaves broken, and this can make them infuse more quickly. But it also can make the tea break down more quickly in storage. Whole-leaf tea tends to retain beneficial chemicals like Vitamin C longer. Also, more of the chemicals extracted from the tea does not mean it is healthier. Antioxidants are something that can be beneficial in moderation, but in too high quantities, they can inhibit various biological processes. The antioxidants in tea, with the exception of the small amount of Vitamin C in green tea, are not essential nutrients, and are not as beneficial (and possibly not as safe in large quantities) as antioxidant vitamins like Vitamins A, C, and E.

So, I think there are theoretical justifications for it going either way.

I say, just drink what you enjoy the most.

Jul 13th, '12, 21:04
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 13th, '12, 21:04

I didn't really see studies that were directly comparing various types of tea, mostly it was separate or not strong enough evidence. What usually they compare to is coffee. Vitamins in tea i think are not that important, since total amount is quite small and even if drink a lot daily it's not an important source.

Getting too much antioxidants from drinking is quite difficult, where it posses a risk is extracts in capsules. Those things i would avoid for sure.

Since to get at least some health benefits from tea need to drink several cups daily, best way is to drink, what you like. So even if fukamushi sencha can deliver you a bit more antioxidants per cup, won't matter, if you can't drink it often.

Jul 14th, '12, 07:54

by iovetea » Jul 14th, '12, 07:54

i think for westerners chinese green tea is way healthier than japanese green tea. You could spend a fortune and still not get decent japanese tea, somehow it seems easier to get good quality chinese tea. But thats just my experience

Jul 14th, '12, 13:27

by sherubtse » Jul 14th, '12, 13:27

iovetea wrote: You could spend a fortune and still not get decent japanese tea, somehow it seems easier to get good quality chinese tea. But thats just my experience
I'd be quite interested in learning which places you have tried re Japanese teas to lead you to be so pessimistic in that regard. :o

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jul 23rd, '12, 16:56

by teaisme » Jul 23rd, '12, 16:56

You could spend a fortune and still not get decent japanese tea
the $5/50g green bancha at yuukicha raises it's hand in disagreement :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply