Anyone tried the master pu erh from adagio??

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 14th, '12, 09:07

Anyone tried the master pu erh from adagio??

by iovetea » Jul 14th, '12, 09:07

the flavor description is really sounds very good, it also finds just the right words i can relate to. Now i want to ask how accurate it is, has anyone tried it yet?

Jul 14th, '12, 10:03

Re: anyone tried the master pu erh from adagio??

by Poohblah » Jul 14th, '12, 10:03

no, because it's shu.

Jul 14th, '12, 10:55

by iovetea » Jul 14th, '12, 10:55

Poohblah wrote:no, because it's shu.
well from the flavor discription it still sounds like a really awesome tea....

Jul 14th, '12, 20:43

by iannon » Jul 14th, '12, 20:43

It came across very..mm.."fishy" tasting to me. I did not care for it personally.

Jul 15th, '12, 02:49

Re: Anyone tried the master pu erh from adagio??

by iovetea » Jul 15th, '12, 02:49

Thank you very much! The flavor description just sounded like my first pu erh i ever drank and i wanted to drink it again.

But when you say it tasted fishy, It probably isn't as good as it sounds

Jul 16th, '12, 02:44
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 16th, '12, 02:44

iovetea wrote:Thank you very much! The flavor description just sounded like my first pu erh i ever drank and i wanted to drink it again.

I feel like ordering puer from adagio is kind of like going to a burger joint and ordering a lobster. It might work out, but it's probably better to go to a seafood restaurant.

Jul 16th, '12, 06:08

by iovetea » Jul 16th, '12, 06:08

TwoDog2 wrote:
iovetea wrote:Thank you very much! The flavor description just sounded like my first pu erh i ever drank and i wanted to drink it again.

I feel like ordering puer from adagio is kind of like going to a burger joint and ordering a lobster. It might work out, but it's probably better to go to a seafood restaurant.
yes but bad pu can be really dangerous to your health and unless you know the small dealer personally i always would go for big vendors who have something to lose.

Jul 16th, '12, 07:11

by beecrofter » Jul 16th, '12, 07:11

Pretty much all shu pu goes through a period of smelling fishy when it is young. The process of making it is not much different than composting.
Break off a chunk , tease it apart ,and air it out and the fishyness will go away.

Jul 17th, '12, 22:35

by Charlotte_J » Jul 17th, '12, 22:35

beecrofter wrote:Pretty much all shu pu goes through a period of smelling fishy when it is young. The process of making it is not much different than composting.
Break off a chunk , tease it apart ,and air it out and the fishyness will go away.

That is good advice. Or just buy something about a year old. I think cooked puer cakes are ready after just about 1 or 2 years of storage. The fishyness should be totally out

Jul 18th, '12, 03:29

by iovetea » Jul 18th, '12, 03:29

Charlotte_J wrote:
beecrofter wrote:Pretty much all shu pu goes through a period of smelling fishy when it is young. The process of making it is not much different than composting.

That is good advice. Or just buy something about a year old. I think cooked puer cakes are ready after just about 1 or 2 years of storage. The fishyness should be totally out
yes i think i read the same in an english publication from hong kong. thanks a lot.

Jul 18th, '12, 06:06
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 18th, '12, 06:06

iovetea wrote: bad pu can be really dangerous to your health and unless you know the small dealer personally i always would go for big vendors who have something to lose.
Although they are a big vendor, their source of tea is totally unknown, which is your main concern. I guess that if you asked them for detailed information like location, time of picking, factory where it was processed, etc, they would have none of that information. They don't list any of the crucial information one would need when purchasing a tea, sight unseen (or un-drank), like....what year was this picked? Who was in charge of the fermenting? Where was in processed? Where has it been kept...(This list goes on, so i'll just cut it off there)

Some smaller vendors carry some large factory productions, where at least you have a producer who is accountable. (Like, say Dayi or Xiaguan or somebody) However, anyone who pays attention to listed Chinese companies could tell you that a large scale producer is no more ethical than a small scale producer, corruption is not necessarily dissuaded by size.

Just my two cents, nothing is going to be 100% clear in either case, you pick your battles I guess.

Jul 18th, '12, 08:07

by iovetea » Jul 18th, '12, 08:07

TwoDog2 wrote:
iovetea wrote: bad pu can be really dangerous to your health and unless you know the small dealer personally i always would go for big vendors who have something to lose.
Although they are a big vendor, their source of tea is totally unknown, which is your main concern. I guess that if you asked them for detailed information like location, time of picking, factory where it was processed, etc, they would have none of that information. They don't list any of the crucial information one would need when purchasing a tea, sight unseen (or un-drank), like....what year was this picked? Who was in charge of the fermenting? Where was in processed? Where has it been kept...(This list goes on, so i'll just cut it off there)

Some smaller vendors carry some large factory productions, where at least you have a producer who is accountable. (Like, say Dayi or Xiaguan or somebody) However, anyone who pays attention to listed Chinese companies could tell you that a large scale producer is no more ethical than a small scale producer, corruption is not necessarily dissuaded by size.

Just my two cents, nothing is going to be 100% clear in either case, you pick your battles I guess.

yes but their are also fakes and i think pu erh is way overpriced. I mean all teas nowadays seem overpriced but the most pu erh. Also unless you are chinese and drank pu erh all you life i believe its really hard to judge pu erh

Jul 18th, '12, 08:22

by iovetea » Jul 18th, '12, 08:22

TwoDog2 wrote:

you made very good points, but in case of large scale chinese companies their stock performance was way better than the penny stocks from china that went bankrupt

Anyway you points are valid, but i think pu erhs is only a sellers market.
Prices are too high and many sell fakes.
They don't only fake the old one, the new ones they fake too and even if they were genuine, the prices s seem beyond good and evil.
So totally unrealistic. But hey thats me.

Jul 18th, '12, 11:56

by iovetea » Jul 18th, '12, 11:56

TwoDog2 wrote:

anyway thank you, you remind me what i always forgot to look for.

Jul 18th, '12, 21:54

by Charlotte_J » Jul 18th, '12, 21:54

iovetea wrote: Anyway you points are valid, but i think pu erhs is only a sellers market.
Prices are too high and many sell fakes.
They don't only fake the old one, the new ones they fake too and even if they were genuine, the prices s seem beyond good and evil.
So totally unrealistic. But hey thats me.

You are right about that!! If you want a good way to avoid fakes and get a good quality factory/brand (medium or small sized) I think Douji is very good. Their prices are not cheap, but you pay for what you get. And, they are not so famous that people fake them as far as I have experienced anyway!!

With some bigger productions, there will always be fakes because the brand is really really well known.

+ Post Reply