Noob comments and order list

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 19th, '12, 07:24

Re: Noob comments and order list

by ciphoto » Jul 19th, '12, 07:24

zzenster wrote:If I may give you a suggestion, don't buy everything all at once.
You are not late in the game. Just take your time and research, enjoy sample and buy ones that you really want. Or you will end up with 50 cakes that you may not want years from now.
Good advice... I'm trying to educate myself with samples, and have yet to buy a full cake. When I'm home I generally have some tea every day now, and getting a wide range of samples will let me compare ones I feel are similar, and also should let me learn differences in regions etc...

I am a little concerned about getting a sample I really like and it being a small batch and then not being able to get it again... but that is chance every one takes...

Jul 19th, '12, 07:39

by ciphoto » Jul 19th, '12, 07:39

I was aware of the issue with 98 7542 when I purchased it, having read the blog post.

But I also have seen many positive reviews of the shop. I must say that his shipping is quick. I don’t have enough experience to get into the argument over storage effects etc. and second guessing ages by looks and taste…

The larger question I have is, is CNNP a separate factory, or was/is it a government agency that over saw the factories before they went private?

Jul 19th, '12, 10:57

by Tofsla » Jul 19th, '12, 10:57

JakubT wrote: ...
This is no holy war. This is just that I think they are selling a fake and standing by its origins irrationally. And I do not like their self-presentation. That is just my opinion - they are obviously in the world of tea for long enough to prove that many people do not share the opinion with me.
Yes, please, go to McDonalds because it is possibly better than BurgerKing. I myself will eat somewhere else.
JakubT, I was not discussing any teas with you here, or my tastes, or, god forbid, yours. Neither I tried to persuade you to start buying from Puerhshop.

I just wanted to present an alternative opinion to ciphoto, who started this thread. Fortunately, ciphoto has enough common sense to check other users' reviews of Puershop's goods, and my intervention here was not necessary.

Jul 19th, '12, 13:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 19th, '12, 13:00

Might I suggest some calming herbal teas ... :idea: :wink: :mrgreen:

In discussing opinions on TeaChat, endeavor to not make it personal. :idea:

Jul 19th, '12, 13:04

by shah82 » Jul 19th, '12, 13:04

Chip, my man, I've already got out the tub of popcorn, don't be harshing this entertaining vibe!

?:~)

Jul 19th, '12, 13:06

by Chip » Jul 19th, '12, 13:06

shah82 wrote:Chip, my man, I've already got out the tub of popcorn, don't be harshing this entertaining vibe!

Hm, I need to add a popcorn eating emoticon! :mrgreen:

Jul 19th, '12, 13:17
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jul 19th, '12, 13:17

Chip wrote:
shah82 wrote:Chip, my man, I've already got out the tub of popcorn, don't be harshing this entertaining vibe!

And a teacup one while you're at it...? ;)

Jul 19th, '12, 13:35

by Chip » Jul 19th, '12, 13:35

sriracha wrote:
Chip wrote:

And a teacup one while you're at it...? ;)
+1

Jul 19th, '12, 15:22

by JakubT » Jul 19th, '12, 15:22

Tofsla: Quite so - it is good to have more opinions on the matter.

Chip: I'll be a good cute werebunny from now on :oops:

Jul 19th, '12, 17:49

by wyardley » Jul 19th, '12, 17:49

I think "fake" is a complicated thing to say.

There have been so many factories releasing tea in generic CNNP wrappers, that I think it's hard to say a tea is "fake" just because of this (just as you wouldn't say a 'Meng Chen' pot is "fake" because it wasn't made by Meng Chen, or even in the right time period). And there's a lot of variation in the wrappers that were used even when the state-owned factories were the only game in town. There are "wrapperologists" who could probably tell you if something is legitimately from such and such a factory in year XXXX, but I don't think there are many folks here who have that level of knowledge. Just because it doesn't compare to a cake someone else is selling or that you saw in a pu'er book somewhere doesn't count.

Now, in terms of age claims being misrepresented, that definitely happens, but it's not always due to malice on the part of the seller, and it's very difficult to prove. Storage is a really big "X" factor. I've had teas that I think were legitimately fairly old, but still tasted quite fresh (tight compression, overly dry storage, etc.).

Jul 19th, '12, 23:06

by Charlotte_J » Jul 19th, '12, 23:06

wyardley wrote:I think "fake" is a complicated thing to say.

There have been so many factories releasing tea in generic CNNP wrappers, that I think it's hard to say a tea is "fake" just because of this (just as you wouldn't say a 'Meng Chen' pot is "fake" because it wasn't made by Meng Chen, or even in the right time period). And there's a lot of variation in the wrappers that were used even when the state-owned factories were the only game in town. There are "wrapperologists" who could probably tell you if something is legitimately from such and such a factory in year XXXX, but I don't think there are many folks here who have that level of knowledge. Just because it doesn't compare to a cake someone else is selling or that you saw in a pu'er book somewhere doesn't count.

Now, in terms of age claims being misrepresented, that definitely happens, but it's not always due to malice on the part of the seller, and it's very difficult to prove. Storage is a really big "X" factor. I've had teas that I think were legitimately fairly old, but still tasted quite fresh (tight compression, overly dry storage, etc.).

JakubT and Tofsla, this is basically what I wanted to say!!! ^^^

I have never ordered from that vendor, so i don't know. I just think that puer is FULL of this kind of misrepresented / mislabeled stuff, so why go on the warpath against a vendor for one cake!? Again, I don't even know the person !! :D

Jul 20th, '12, 04:05
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 20th, '12, 04:05

Awww, I came late. What'd i miss?

popcorn.gif

+ Post Reply